Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What DSP to get more warmer sound (Read 2143 times) previous topic - next topic

What DSP to get more warmer sound

Hello everybody,

foobar2000 is my favourite music player and I use it for either speakers and headphones setup.
I don't use any plugin even EQ.
With the speaker setup I have an issue and I need your help and advice to solve it.

With some albums, e.g. Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, Metallica Black Album, Dream Theater Images and Words, the sound of the setup is too bright, too detailed, too fatiguing. I mean especially the drums.

Luckily for other genre and albums or movies the sound I get from the setup is awesome.

What I am looking for is a DSP that can help me to get a warmer sound, a more "closed" sound, a more confortable and less fatiguing sound (just like for the headphone exists the crossfeed DSP like "Bauer" etc.).

Thank you!
Roksan K3 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W ASW610 S2 / Asus Xonar Essence One USB / Dirac Live / Sennheiser HD650 / G&BL 5555 Serie HPN / Supra Classic 2.5 / Apple Watch Sport

Re: What DSP to get more warmer sound

Reply #1
From the random words you used to describe sound, I have to guess that EQ with lowered mids and highs is all you need.

What's good to you is something you'll need to find out by experiment.

Reply #2
From the random words you used to describe sound, I have to guess that EQ with lowered mids and highs is all you need.

What's good to you is something you'll need to find out by experiment.

I don't want to lower the mids but only the too much "screaming" highs just like for example the higher drums part of the songs that I stated before.

My idea was to use something made for my purpose without risking too much to damage the sound.

Do you think the built-in EQ of foobar is the best way to obtain what I looking for?

Thank you.
Roksan K3 / B&W 685 S2 / B&W ASW610 S2 / Asus Xonar Essence One USB / Dirac Live / Sennheiser HD650 / G&BL 5555 Serie HPN / Supra Classic 2.5 / Apple Watch Sport

Reply #3
Don't be too precious about sound, it's a lot more resilient than you think.
Try EQ first. Pull on some sliders, listen to what happens. This is your personal preference, so I can't give you a perfect pre-made solution, forged by gods in the Audio Realm.

Reply #4
My guess is that what you want is called "loudness compensation" and it can be more or less done with EQ.
More info is in this article: http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=loudnesscontrol_ts
It also contains some handy graphs that may help to decide which frequencies should be amplified and which attenuated.
Of course hardware filter might be a better solution - look at your amplifier - maybe it already has some button/knob/menu option for that.

Reply #5
Maybe start with a wide shelving or Baxendall EQ cut around 15kHz, start with -3dB, and play with frequency and gain from there.

Reply #6
Hello,i thought that you could use Bongiovi DPS, it is free :)

Reply #7
use Bongiovi DPS, it is free
No it isn't. It has a 30 day try-out however.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.