Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIFF and AIFF-C, what is the difference? (Read 11494 times) previous topic - next topic

AIFF and AIFF-C, what is the difference?

In relation to the issue of AIFF on Mac OS X, what is the difference between AIFF and AIFF-C (Compressed) in terms of quality? I guess that sound quality of standard AIFF and AIFF-C (default on Mac OS X) are identical (lossless). Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
In relation to the issue of AIFF on Mac OS X, what is the difference between AIFF and AIFF-C (Compressed) in terms of quality? I guess that sound quality of standard AIFF and AIFF-C (default on Mac OS X) are identical (lossless). Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

From my recollection AIFF-C is just a very small extension to AIFF that allows the content to be in some form other than PCM via an extra bit of metadata that states the compression type. AIFF-C can still contain PCM samples though. So if both your AIFF and AIFF-C contain the same PCM samples, the quality will be the same. The only other type of compressed audio I ran across in AIFF-C was IMA ADPCM, which I think was a common use for AIFF-C way back when. Those certainly don't sound very good.

Reply #2
From my recollection AIFF-C is just a very small extension to AIFF that allows the content to be in some form other than PCM via an extra bit of metadata that states the compression type. AIFF-C can still contain PCM samples though. So if both your AIFF and AIFF-C contain the same PCM samples, the quality will be the same. The only other type of compressed audio I ran across in AIFF-C was IMA ADPCM, which I think was a common use for AIFF-C way back when. Those certainly don't sound very good.

Thanks very much for the answer Kujibo, I'm beginning to understand the difference 

Any other help?