Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Exact Audio Copy lame_enc.dll and burn High-Res audio (Read 2951 times) previous topic - next topic

Exact Audio Copy lame_enc.dll and burn High-Res audio

hi
i have 2 question about Eac

1)
can Eac 1.3 use lame_enc.dll  ?
just because i have installed eac on a friend friend and copy lame_enc.dll  32Bit (LAME 3.99.5 Bundle compiled with Intel Compiler 14.0.3. ) , when i start eac , i can select in the compressio option lame encoer and in the drop menu there are several presets

when i restart eac 1.3 , there is no way to use  lame_enc.dll 

2) can i burn with eac  High-Res audio ? or do i need a specific program?

just because i bought the last radiohead's album and it sounds clipped , i bought the vinyl and sound great , i use always headphone
now i'm thinking to buy again online and i found 24-bit WAV

ps is there a topic about High-Res audio and if they are worth ?
sorry for my poor english
thanks

Re: Exact Audio Copy lame_enc.dll and burn High-Res audio

Reply #1
In my EAC folder I have lame.exe and lame_enc.dll.    It appears to be using the exe file, although EAC is very configurable and there may be a way to make it use the dll. 

2) can i burn with eac  High-Res audio ? or do i need a specific program?
I've never burned with EAC, I only use it for ripping.   Audio CDs are 16-bit, 44.1kHz, stereo, uncompressed PCM.   Of course, you can burn a 24/96 FLAC or other "computer file" onto a CD as "data", and you can play it in your computer, but it's no longer an audio CD and most CD players won't play it.

just because i bought the last radiohead's album and it sounds clipped , i bought the vinyl and sound great , i use always headphone
Of course a vinyl record is going to sound "different" and some people may prefer the vinyl version,   It's also possible that it's mastered differently.  But technically  analog vinyl is inferior, and I'm sure you're hearing some surface noise that you don't hear with the digital version.   (Vinyl resolution is limited but the noise floor and is much worse than CD.)

now i'm thinking to buy again online and i found 24-bit WAV
Again, it may be mastered differently, so it may sound better or worse.  But, regular 16/44.1 CD audio is already better than human hearing (and far-far better than vinyl) so the high resolution format itself doesn't improve the sound.

If the high-resolution version is a different mix/master, you could copy the high-resolution version to CD (downsampling to 16/44.1, of course) and it will sound identical to the original high-resolution version.  Same with the vinyl...  You can digitize it and make a CD, and it will sound identical to the vinyl.

And of course, LAME is making an MP3 which is lossy.   A good (high bitrate) MP3 can often sound  identical to the high-resolution original, but MP3 would never be considered "high resolution".

Reply #2
In my EAC folder I have lame.exe and lame_enc.dll.    It appears to be using the exe file, although EAC is very configurable and there may be a way to make it use the dll. 
hi DVDdoug
thanks a lot , but can't find a way to use lame_enc.dll
may i ask you what do you use to burn audio cd?

If the high-resolution version is a different mix/master, you could copy the high-resolution version to CD (downsampling to 16/44.1, of course) and it will sound identical to the original high-resolution version.
thanks again
i have spent 80€ for the last radiohead cd and vinyl (it's one of my favorite album and they record clipped at least my cd copy it's so clipped i can hear even crackles)  , i know there are hardware players for hi-res audio file
i'm skeptical about these players

Reply #4
A Moon Shaped Pool?

The vinyl was sourced from the same clipped master used to create the CD.
yes A Moon Shaped Pool
i'm really sad , just because i spent 80€ for the cd and the vinyl
i guess the hi-res is the same of the cd , i will give up , even it's one of my favorite album
thanks Greynol

Reply #5
You said the vinyl sounds great, so now you know the CD sounds great too.  You might even now think the CD sounds better if your turntable is less than perfect or if your vinyl has playback problems, or succumbs to playback problems in the future. ;)

Reply #6
You said the vinyl sounds great, so now you know the CD sounds great too.  You might even now think the CD sounds better if your turntable is less than perfect or if your vinyl has playback problems, or succumbs to playback problems in the future. ;)
hi
well english is not my native language
i wanted to say that the vinyl sounds for me not so clipped , i have used headphones and i can't hear clipped part like the cd
maybe it's my turntable
but seens you said
The vinyl was sourced from the same clipped master used to create the CD.
i'm wrong , and my ears have fooled me