Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: so what happened with you & winamp, PP? (Read 23483 times) previous topic - next topic

so what happened with you & winamp, PP?

are you still going to maintain your wa3 plugins, you know they rock
"...ambience?, I AM ambience!"

Reply #1
to make long story short, i got tired of the way things are done in nullsoft - no main sourcecode access for me, and winamp3 media playback core being designed someone who wrote a janky non-modular player once and now thinks he's leet enough to happily ignore any feedback coming from more experienced people (and major shit not getting fixed between versions). i'm completely abandoning any winamp development (unless as my contract states, some major problem appears in code i got paid for); IMO it will do them better if someone with main sourcecode access replaces me. also, i'm starting to believe that it will do them better if they finally get decent competition in terms of functionality.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
What about your forum there?
What will happen with current unfinished things (in_vorbis 1.3 alpha, DirectMusic and DiskWriter tests, in_midi 3.0 etc.)?

BTW - nice cat

Reply #3
current in_vorbis source is fuct (was working on "winamp2 input plugin framework" but abandoned it half-done when i started making fb2k). you have 1.3 alpha, it's stable as far as i know, use it.
you have "test" in_dm binaries, use them, abuse them, spread them.
in_midi v3.0 should be in main nullsoft sourcecode archive, why don't you ask them to put it in v2.82 if that ever comes out ? :B
and believe me, i REALLY can't be f#cked to install/run winamp again, you wouldn't believe how damn happy i was to see my oggs playing without winamp first time 2 weeks ago.
peace.

Reply #4
thats a shame, you where pretty much the best to happen to winamp, besides justin creating it in the first place, having updates from you was like going back to the day when justin was churing out new version every week, it was nice to have someone who cared about us users.

anyways, rollon foobar, its definately rocks
"...ambience?, I AM ambience!"

Reply #5
Yeah, roll this one on...
Just what about the copyrights (my last question about Winamp things, really) - which plugins are owned by you and which aren't (mainly because of X-Fixer's Module Decoder updates - will it be official or not)?

Reply #6
stuff owned by AOL: out_ds, cnv_mod (but only winamp3-specific part), cnv_midi/in_midi, in_vorbis/cnv_vorbis.
of course, fb2k doesn't use any of that (even output code was written from scratch).

X-Fixer has official go-ahead to go LGPL with in_mod.

Reply #7
Oh dear god....

I'm seriously liking this. I'm almost prepared to move all my development efforts wholesale from Winamp. Is there any chance of an SDK/api documentation, or just anything to poke at? And some settings for the crossfeed would be nice, it's still a bit too "close" for my liking .

Great job,

Russ

[edit]I can't believe I haven't posted at all on HA... [/edit]

Reply #8
i've separated SDK from main exe source; i'm just not giving it away yet because i'm planning to break major things in near future and i don't want people to start making components yet. also, several major things people will want to play with aren't exposed to component interface yet.
i'm sure you will see a lot of similarities between fb2k SDK and winamp3 SDK though, component/service system is similar (except for no need for centralized registerBlahBlah() calls, components don't have "main.cpp", they're just service implementation files statically linked against SDK project)

Reply #9
Fair enough. It would make a nice christmas present .

Reply #10
Petex0r... I've missed having you around I must admit and now I think I'm having withdrawals... I'm twitching constantly and I'm seeing chickens crawling out of the wall and pecking at my brain. Well, I understand what you're doing though to a degree... not the whole complicated like... coding shit.. the other shit. Ya know? Anyhow - I hope to hear from you again in the future.. I hate forums, but I might have some smart ass thing to say every once in awhile. Hope things go well for you and... good luck!

-Germ

Reply #11
So basically YOU left coz of christophe?

bah that sucks.. after all that time working there.. leaving for that shit.

I still can't see why they didn't beg you to stay, without you winamp is sonique.. another dumbass eye-candy whore player.

Unfortunately i can't test foobar2000 since im on friggin win98se
OH well.. maybe in the future!

Anyways, it looks you're progressing very very well, all the best peter!

P.S. any ideas about renaming urself to peter? ZZZzzzZZZ is kinda annoying to type

Reply #12
I really respect you Peter, both for dropping Winamp,
and for the initiative to create this player.
Keep up the good work.

Reply #13
I still can't see why they didn't beg you to stay, without you winamp is sonique.. another dumbass eye-candy whore player.

Winamp managed to become the most popular player without gapless playback.

Managers really hate to beg.

Reply #14
man, this sucks

both that you are leaving, and the feeling I have been getting from Winamp3.  It really did not live up to it's hype.

I hope you do a good job developing your player and give Winamp a run for it's money.  Competition is good

Good luck in all you do Peter

Reply #15
Oh Winamp3 will get there eventually, I just think the foobar development cycle is a bit more brisk . Winamp have AOL's marvelous QA team to contend with .

Reply #16
im sure winamp3 will kick the llama's ass sometime in the future.. but without PP it's kinda not worth it..

Reply #17
I'm
1. speechless
2. distraught 
3. very proud of Peter. Good luck mate & all the best.    B)

This will give me even more incentive to finally upgrade from shabby WinME to one of 2k/XP

Not been too well lately, but I'll do my best to stick around

with lump in throat...

c-ya

[edit]
gee, whadd'ya mean there's no  smilie
[/edit]

[edit2]
wa3? methinks more people will miss wa2 updates than wa3,
but that's just my personal opinion 
[/edit2]

Reply #18
Foobar 2000 is imo already better than winamp in many of the technical ways like output etc. I don't really care about all those fancy graphics and skins winamp has. The only thing I want for foobar design wise is a more compact layout. It doesn't even have to be that graphical. Simplistic and extremely functional. That is what I want. and I am sure Foobar will be the player to give me that

Reply #19
I don't care about skins or superior visual layout.......
I am dishing Winamp for Foobar2000.......
To Peter.............
[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']THANK YOU[/span]
I am just a normal person trying to live a normal life.

Reply #20
without you winamp is sonique.. another dumbass eye-candy whore player.

No. Even worse. It's an ugly, slow, over-teched application, with loads of heavily integrated features that no one will ever use (Media Library), a terribly complex method of extension (Wasabi) and so on. I wanted Winamp3 to rock. But it didn't. And I can't see that changing. Probably thanks in no small part to AOL.

Skins were cool when they were something that set an application apart, as long as they made sense.  But now, everything is skinned, uses non-standard interfaces, and attempts to reinvent the wheel. This is not cool. We need a good, (relatively) open core for audio playing that people can mess with. FB2K does this. And, like I've wished for for the past year and a half, it uses STANDARD WINDOWS CONTROLS!!!

*ahem* Sorry. Got a little carried away there. Peter, you're probably getting tired of hearing this, but thank you for FB2K. It kicks ass. Period.

Reply #21
current in_vorbis source is fuct (was working on "winamp2 input plugin framework" but abandoned it half-done when i started making fb2k). you have 1.3 alpha, it's stable as far as i know, use it.
you have "test" in_dm binaries, use them, abuse them, spread them.
in_midi v3.0 should be in main nullsoft sourcecode archive, why don't you ask them to put it in v2.82 if that ever comes out ? :B
and believe me, i REALLY can't be f#cked to install/run winamp again, you wouldn't believe how damn happy i was to see my oggs playing without winamp first time 2 weeks ago.
peace.

Sorry for bringing up old topic...

Since you say that I can distribute "test" versions, I am allowed to distribute 4P thing? Many people asked me for it via e-mail, and I don't know what you think. All plugins are not updated anymore, so one kind of "final" full package would be nice for sure.

Reply #22
these plugins are mostly property of AOL, you can't distribute them.
say "winamp" on this forum again and die.

Reply #23
Oh Winamp3 will get there eventually, I just think the foobar development cycle is a bit more brisk . Winamp have AOL's marvelous QA team to contend with .

AOL and QA are mutually exclusive terms.

Reply #24
Sorry for bringing up old topic...

Since you say that I can distribute "test" versions, I am allowed to distribute 4P thing? Many people asked me for it via e-mail, and I don't know what you think. All plugins are not updated anymore, so one kind of "final" full package would be nice for sure.

WTF do you think you're trying to pull here?
I've told you multiple times you do NOT have the right to distribute 4P.
The package contents are owned by Peter and/or Nullsoft/AOL, and the your versions of the pack are based on MY script.
Peter & me decided to stop the 4P releases more then half a year ago.
I gave a clear overview of our reasons on http://www.blorp.com/~thor/4P.html.
AND STILL YOU KEEP NAGGING.
You've had your answer like 10 times already. Quit trying.
We don't give a fuck if lamers email you to get the pack.
If there will ever be a "final" 4P package it will be released by Peter & me. But I don't see any big reasons to do it.

The second one of us sees this thing released somewhere you're gonna be sorry. Mark my words.

If you want to release packs/products so bad, come up with something yourself.
Learn to code or pack other people's stuff, but leave us the fuck alone.