Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD Repair (Read 2724 times) previous topic - next topic

CD Repair

I read through the old posts regarding CD repair products and kits. I noticed that the newest threads are 2-3 years old. With this being said, I am curious if anyone has newer information regarding CD repair products and which are worth trying. In an ideal world, I want to buy something that is quick, efficient, not messy, and has a low risk of damaging CDs further. I am aware that these products can range anywhere from manual kits to machines that sonically smooths the discs.

CD Repair

Reply #1
One thing that hasn't changed - The data-layer is on top and the CD is read through the full-thickness of the disc.  The top is fairly easy to scratch, and if it's damaged it can't be fixed.

Scratches on the bottom side can often be polished-out.

But, I have a battery operated CD polishing machine that I bought several years ago.  I don't think it ever helped...  I don't even bother with it anymore.    If simple cleaning doesn't help, odds are polishing won't help either.

CD Repair

Reply #2
I am just trying to get everything in place before I begin ripping an encoding a large number of CDs. However, after reading your response on CD repair, it sounds like I am likely better off not buying a CD repair machine or kit. Instead, I will just clean all CDs with Windex and a cloth before ripping and if any CDs do not rip accurately, I will look for a second copy of the CD in libraries or from friends to get the tracks I still need.

CD Repair

Reply #3
If you read very much, you must be aware that many other reports says the opposite, that virtually every disk with bottom scratches can be repaired. One person I've talked to, who had a small side business repairing CDs for people, claimed some badly scratched disks had to be ground/polished to the point that the entire disk was about as flexible as a sheet of paper, but they worked properly after that. He had a more expensive powered, automated machine.

A friend recently purchased a manually powered Skip Doctor (i.e. not with an electric motor) that he is quite enthusiastic about, although he has so far not treated many disks. He is one of these people that leave disks laying about, without protenction, all the time,

My own repair experience is limited to an inexpensive product called Disk Genie. It is rather like an extremely fine sand paper bonded to a heavier paper backing for some rigidity. It would take forever to remove many scratches, if it could at all, but its use has been beneficial where simple cleaning failed. The treated surface seems simply a bit more shiny afterwards, the scratches are actually more visible to my eyes, but disk content has extracted without error after some polishing on the sheet. The inexpensive part is what led me to give it a try, and I doubt it will always work, but then I've had very few disks that need any treatment.

CD Repair

Reply #4
I read through the old posts regarding CD repair products and kits. I noticed that the newest threads are 2-3 years old. With this being said, I am curious if anyone has newer information regarding CD repair products and which are worth trying. In an ideal world, I want to buy something that is quick, efficient, not messy, and has a low risk of damaging CDs further. I am aware that these products can range anywhere from manual kits to machines that sonically smooths the discs.

I had a VERY messed up data CD. I took it to a game store that has a disc repair machine. The machine polished it to the point where is looks - but most importantly works like new. How does one 'sonically smooth' the disc? Sounds like snake oil to me.

CD Repair

Reply #5
A company named JFJ has some higher end CD repair machines that are appealing to me. A person will spend $400+ on Amazon or Ebay but the reviews are great.