Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adobe Releases Acrobat Reader 6.0 (Read 5177 times) previous topic - next topic

Adobe Releases Acrobat Reader 6.0

Adobe Systems has released Acrobat Reader 6.0

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Adobe® Reader® 6.0 is free software that lets you view and print
Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files
on a variety of hardware and operating system platforms.

Release date May 27, 2003.

Press Release

Reply #1
Thanks for the heads-up. I remember back when the Acrobat Reader download was only 5MB... sigh... Old-timers probably recall the days when it would fit on a floppy.

Reply #2
They've decided to bloat the PDF-format, so you can now embed video and sound in your documents.

Reply #3
Woohoo, they increased load times, added some huge ugly toolbars, and put an ad banner in the corner. Back to the old version!

Reply #4
They've decided to bloat the PDF-format, so you can now embed video and sound in your documents.

On the first realease CD I got of acrobat reader one of the big features was hyperlinks.. so you could have
a blow-apart diagram of some widget and click on a part to go to the text about it.  I never saw a
document aside from that demo that used that feature.  Maybe they wrote that in before the WWW
hit the scene and now most people would put that in html instead of pdf.

Reply #5

On the first realease CD I got of acrobat reader one of the big features was hyperlinks.. so you could have
a blow-apart diagram of some widget and click on a part to go to the text about it.  I never saw a
document aside from that demo that used that feature.  Maybe they wrote that in before the WWW
hit the scene and now most people would put that in html instead of pdf.

I see those hyperlinks in PDF quite frequently (last time on "Handbook of applied cryptography.PDF" , got it from IRC).
Not even thinking about upgrading to Acrobat 6.Version 5 is actually good enough for me.
BTW how many people download books from IRC?.Not only PDF , there's actually TXT , DOC , RTF , LIT , HTML , etc. , frequently compressed with RAR or ZIP format.
I'm addicted to it lately  .

Reply #6
I tried it too. It looks cool, but it's not much better than version 5. I will keep it anyway (grrr, 16MB download).

Reply #7
Woohoo, they increased load times, added some huge ugly toolbars, and put an ad banner in the corner. Back to the old version!

Banner? What banner? Some stupid Acrobat logo or advertisements??

Reply #8
You mean it's even more bloated than v5? I'll ignore that then - 5 is bad enough! How many different stupid little plug-ins does it have to initialise just so that I can look at a single page of text?!

Sorry - Acrobat is one of the few progs that I find essential, but annoying. Other progs are usually essential and good/acceptable, or annoying but not really needed very often. Acrobat (with the system tray thing disabled - maybe that's where I went wrong!) takes forever to start, and used to crach my old system if launched within IE.

Of course, Apple Quicktime for windows is even worse, but I can live without that!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #9
The banner is a quick link back to the Adobe site.
Every time you open Acrobat the subject changes.

This is like those "tip of the day" windows that come up
with some applications, which you can disable.
But with Acrobat its in the toolbar, and I can't find a way to hide it.
Blah...seems kinda useless to me.

Reply #10
Given the recent TV ad  campaign, I imagine the tip will at least occasionally be: "why not buy our PDF writer?", and eventually  "get the new release!"

Reply #11
How to remove the ad from Adobe Reader 6.0:

In Edit -> Preferences -> Startup, uncheck "Show Messages and automatically update"

Reply #12
Thanks Ardax.
No more ad.

Reply #13
The thing is, PDFs created with the latest Acrobat 6.0 that uses any features that wasn't available in 5.x will not display properly in Reader 5.0. 

And yes, Adobe is bloating up Reader nicely, 15MB now, what will Reader 7.0 be? 30MB?       

Reply #14
And yes, Adobe is bloating up Reader nicely, 15MB now, what will Reader 7.0 be? 30MB?       

Try downloading the version without the search function, i think it's 8 MB or so. Adobe Reader 5.0 with search was also around 15 MB already.

Reply #15
I don't mind the size - it's the amount of time it takes to startup that annoys me.

I've deleted a whole bunch of the .api files I didn't like the look of (accessibility, forms etc etc), turned off the splash and the advert on the toolbar and I'm not minding 6.0 so much now.
Deleting the .api files has cut the loading time down to 3 or 4 seconds. It was taking 30 seconds before I butchered it.

<RANT>
The whole .api thingy is a complete f*ck up if you ask me - what was so wrong with .dlls?
Everything adobe writes takes years to start up. A 30 second startup is ok if you're going to be editing pictures all day in Photoshop, but not to look at some product brochure on a website.
</RANT>

Reply #16
Every Adobe app (Pagemaker 7, PhotoShop & ImageReady 7, Acrobat 5) I have is slow loading. Each one must load a bazillion dll's (or other). May be postscript related.

xen-uno

edit: I guess I continued 264556's rant
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #17
<RANT>
The whole .api thingy is a complete f*ck up if you ask me - what was so wrong with .dlls?
Everything adobe writes takes years to start up. A 30 second startup is ok if you're going to be editing pictures all day in Photoshop, but not to look at some product brochure on a website.
</RANT>

The .api files are just plain old DLLs, renamed to have a .api extention instead.

Reply #18
The .api files are just plain old DLLs, renamed to have a .api extention instead.

Silly me - I had assumed that the only way to get shared libraries working this slow would be to write them in an interpeted language or compile them on the fly.