Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Semicolons Are Replaced by Commas when Editing Tags (Read 883 times) previous topic - next topic

Semicolons Are Replaced by Commas when Editing Tags

When I open up tags for automatic editing, I've noticed that multi-value, semicolon-separated tags have their semicolons replaced by commas. Is there any way around this behaviour? Obviously I can use the $replace function, but that has the unwanted side-effect of replacing commas that are supposed to be there. Thanks.

Re: Semicolons Are Replaced by Commas when Editing Tags

Reply #1
Semicolon, for multi-value metadata types and input in Foobar, is more akin to a "placeholder" for a separator...
Meaning an MP3 with id3 container in place of the semicolon you type, it will actually have a NUL injected, which in turn gets displayed as a comma in the main program GUI.
For Flacs/vorbis, which is a container allowing multi-value declarations, the same will trigger 2 (eg) Artists fields to be written, which then again Foobar displays as separated by comma.
Hope this helps, as this can be very confusing. Might help to look/check these in another tag editor or mediaplayer.
c.