Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Perfect DeClipper VST Plugin (Read 19488 times) previous topic - next topic

Perfect DeClipper VST Plugin

http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/

Ran across this plugin this morning while looking for some solutions to repair some heavily compressed/clipped audio.  Anyone here tried this plugin?
I know of course it can't restore the original unclipped/uncompressed audio signal, but hopefully it is an improvement over some of the other tools available currently.

I'll be trying it out myself when I get home from work.

Reply #1
I didn't realize when I had posted this, it requires a license to use.    Appears it runs €100 / $126 USD for a license.  Ouch!
Might be worth it though if it does an amazing job, but I kind of doubt it.

Reply #2
Don't know if it does an amazing job, but judging from the Metallica sample files and assuming that none of these are faked (i.e. not using e.g. the Guitar Hero version of that song, which has much less clipping), I'd say it does an excellent job.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #4
Does anyone else have any experience with this program?  I just found out about it and it does appear to work very well....but I don't want to spend $130 on smoke and mirrors.

Reply #5
Does anyone else have any experience with this program?  I just found out about it and it does appear to work very well....but I don't want to spend $130 on smoke and mirrors.
If budget is a concern and you can use Linux (either natively or in a virtual machine e.g. VirtualBox), Monty's Postfish has a rather good declipper, as well as a few other basic functions you're likely to have use for. I relied on its batch mode for declipping and compressing/limiting hundreds of hours of academic conference recordings.

Reply #6
I haven't tried that plug-in.  I don't remember what program I was playing-with, but when I tried a de-clipper once,  the waveform looked better but still sounded distorted.  (It was a modern  mastered pop CD, so I'm sure there was lots of compression & limiting in addition to hard-clipping.) 

Audacity (FREE) comes with a Clip Repair tool.  SeeDeClip is $24 - $40 USD. 

I think Adobe Audition & Izotope Rx include declippers, but these programs cost more than the Perfect Declipper VST plug-in.

Reply #7
(It was a modern  mastered pop CD, so I'm sure there was lots of compression & limiting in addition to hard-clipping.)

AFAIK those "de-clippers" are only meant for small pieces of distortion, perhaps no more than a couple dozen samples. Certainly not for distorted and heavily clipped pop songs. Anyway...

the waveform looked better but still sounded distorted

...that might still be true.