Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MIDI Conversion (Read 1413 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Conversion

Perhaps posting this here will help, since it's a fairly general inquiry. I'm looking to convert game music files (SPC, GBS, etc.) to MIDI format for reference, and from what I've read, it's possible with Foobar, but I'm not seeing it as an option. Can I do this, and if so, how? Am I missing something dreadfully obvious? Thank you!

Re: MIDI Conversion

Reply #1
I don't think it is possible... Foobar is able to convert from many formats to other ones but as far as I know resulting file must be... how to say that... audio-stream file (sample stream), not an instruction file (note stream). MIDI as well as many of these game music files are instruction files - they contain notes and names/numbers of soundbanks. Sound is created "on the fly" same as when playing on a piano for example. You can convert them all to PCM, FLAC, transform coding (MP3, AAC) - all audio-stream files...  You can't convert one style of note stream to other with foobar.

Re: MIDI Conversion

Reply #2
Most of these game formats are notes of some sort, but converting them to MIDI requires specialized code to monitor the emulated sound hardware and convert the information into notes. I have written an SPC to MIDI converter, that produces one SPC file per unique sample, for easier instrument separation, but it still requires retuning and manual intervention.