Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 CBR320 21.8kHz Lowpass?! (Read 10654 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 CBR320 21.8kHz Lowpass?!

What is this mp3 encoder?
for disable lowpass in LAME3.99.5 CBR320 i use --lowpass -1, but in 3.99.5 it is impossible to create a lowpass in this frequency region (21.8kHz)
On Soundcloud streaming this tracks is very clean. Of course the clean depends on how it was worked, but when you have a bad encoder, the music, however clean it may be, can be sweating muffled.

Help me to find this encoder!

Thx!

Re: MP3 CBR320 21.8kHz Lowpass?!

Reply #1
Why do you want to disable the lowpass filter? It's there for a reason, you know. Namely increasing the efficiency of the encoder for audible frequencies.

Reply #2
Even if you set a high enough lowpass filter, a good encoder still won't encode sounds that it considers to be inaudible or masked, which is pretty much anything over 20 kHz.

Reply #3
The big question as always: Are you looking for a (inefficient) way to encode pictures of spectrograms or are you interested in the best sound for your audio codec of choice?

Reply #4
Every single reply in this thread can be considered off topic. The question from TS is "What is this mp3 encoder?"
However everyone starts to show what a smart ass he is.

Reply #5
Every single reply in this thread can be considered off topic. The question from TS is "What is this mp3 encoder?"

No one can tell him that from a spectrogram, so his question cannot be answered.

It is also not off topic to point out that he should not be trying to adjust low pass filtering settings.

Reply #6
Disabled lowpass is useless since mp3 CBR doesn't usually encode above 16khz with precision (see -Y switch).  Its also not always the best since a difficult sample (noise) can be worse as HF noise may be amplified. For HQ HF encoding I would not use mp3  (assuming you can hear that high in music and it really is an issue).

Reply #7
If one wanted to retain the higher frequencies (which I do not recommend), would resampling to 48 kHz and then encoding work?