Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Track "Title" says "tmp" instead of track name. How to fix? (Read 4211 times) previous topic - next topic

Track "Title" says "tmp" instead of track name. How to fix?

Ripping great, and file names are perfect. eg:
04. CLIVE MARTIN - 200 ANS D'HYPOCRISIE.flac

But in the audio player, the track titles say "tmp" instead of the track name. eg:
1tmp-2947

How to automatically put track name into Title property during rip?

thx!

Re: Track "Title" says "tmp" instead of track name. How to fix?

Reply #1
You would have to say what ripper you are using.

Reply #2
EAC - Exact Audio Copy

thx

Reply #4
Thx!

I noticed the command-line options for .flac, on the page you linked, include:
-T "TITLE=%title%"

That seems to be the problem. I think it should be:
-T "TITLE=%albumtitle%"

In my rips, %albumtitle% is used in my filename (on the ID3 tab of Compression Options), and it gives the track title.

• Is that an error on that help-doc?
  • Or do some CD's have a proper value in their %title% tags?
  • If they do, would it usually be different than %albumtitle% (which, as mentioned, is returning TRACK-title)?

cheers!

Reply #5
Not sure from your posts, but if you have "Add ID3 tag" enabled then turn it off.  FLAC files use Vorbis tags.  Have you tried the "Additional command-line options" from the above-linked wiki?  They should work fine.

Reply #6
On installing, I picked flac, and I specified Track Name for filename. That's working correctly.

I don't know where that config is stored (I'm away from computer atm, so cannot check), so I assumed it was those ID3 tags-- maybe not.

In any case, whatever field the installation wizard created to name the files is correctly giving track name. What field is that? %albumtitle%?

%title% in flac flags is NOT putting track name into the track-title tag. Instead, I'm getting"0tmp".

So, what field should I use to put track name into the track-title tag? %title% does not work.

Thx.

Reply #7
I noticed the command-line options for .flac, on the page you linked, include:
-T "TITLE=%title%"

That seems to be the problem. I think it should be:
-T "TITLE=%albumtitle%"
No, the documentation is right. Title field in FLAC and in EAC refer to the name of an individual track. Albumtitle is the name of the album.

In my rips, %albumtitle% is used in my filename (on the ID3 tab of Compression Options), and it gives the track title.
The ID3 tab is mostly irrelevant unless you use a format that uses that tag format. If you look closely the naming scheme there defines the file name used when saving album cover image.

Perhaps you should show a screenshot of your main EAC view when the CD is inserted and another screenshot of the Compression Options -> External Compression window.

Reply #8
Perhaps you should show a screenshot of your main EAC view when the CD is inserted and another screenshot of the Compression Options -> External Compression window.

-T "artist=%albumartist%" -T "title=%albumtitle%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -5 %source%

ps, wondering how i ended up on hydrogenaud.io instead of http://www.digital-inn.de/forums/exact-audio-copy-english.14 ???
are they related?

thx!

Reply #9
-T "artist=%albumartist%" -T "title=%albumtitle%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -5 %source%
Your screenshots don't offer explanation for the cause. But the tagging string is incorrect and will write information to wrong fields. Instead of for example first track being called "Face a la mer" by "Massive Attack" it will be called "10 Remixes les negresses vertes" by "Various Artists".
Process Monitor log of extraction of a track might show if EAC is indeed feeding incorrect info to FLAC or if the mistake is somewhere else. Like in the program you use to view the encoded files.

ps, wondering how i ended up on hydrogenaud.io instead of http://www.digital-inn.de/forums/exact-audio-copy-english.14 ???
are they related?
They are not related. Hydrogenaudio is a generic audio discussion forum that had its roots in lossy codec improvement. The link you posted is official EAC support forum. But that doesn't prevent people here from trying to help you if they can.

Reply #10
thx for followup.

if the command string is wrong, why do i need process monitor? don't i just need to fix the command string?

Reply #11
The wrong string isn't responsible for "tmp" getting into tags. So fixing the string has no effect there. Process Monitor would show what command lines are being passed and what executables are being started.

Edit: here's my suggestion for additional command line parameters to flac.exe:
Code: [Select]
%ishigh%-8 -V%ishigh%%islow%-5%islow% -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr1%" -T "TRACKTOTAL=%numtracks%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "DISCTOTAL=%totalcds%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file="LYRICS=%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source%

In the past FLAC would have written the extra tags to files even if they were missing but since FLAC v1.3.1 (bundled with EAC v1.3) there's no need to fear the extra switches. Blank information that isn't filled in the EAC UI won't affect the files anymore.

These parameters use the highest compression preset -8 with verification when "High quality" mode is selected in EAC. When "Low quality" mode is selected it uses default preset -5 without verification. This may have speed benefit on a slow machine but I suggest using the high mode on any decent machine. The encode should finish faster than the next track manages to get extracted.

If you want the cover image to get embedded inside the file you need to additionally enable "Add cover image to ID3v2 tag" option under Compression options -> ID3 Tag.

Reply #12
And just in case, you may want to check the ID3 tab to make sure it's not writing ID3 tags to the resulting files? I don't recall if this is still a possible problem with EAC, as I haven't used EAC to rip anything in years.

Reply #13
And just in case, you may want to check the ID3 tab to make sure it's not writing ID3 tags to the resulting files? I don't recall if this is still a possible problem with EAC, as I haven't used EAC to rip anything in years.

you can see in my screenshot above that "Use ID3 Tag" is UNchecked.

What do you use to rip now?

Reply #14
I can't read, obviously. Or I can't absorb what I glance at too quickly.