Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --dm-preset encoding on the fly? (Read 5654 times) previous topic - next topic

--dm-preset encoding on the fly?

Hi,

My first post on this new board!

Do you know any way to encode songs with Dibrom's preset on the fly. CDEX offers this possibility with --r3mix using the Lame DLL.

Wouldn't be great to have this for --dm-preset standard for example?

I tried with CDEX external encoder "on the fly" option, that didn't work. To my knowledge, EAC does not offer this capability.

And on my PII, dm standard takes sooooo looong. (it encodes at 0.8x!!!).

Thanks,

Reply #1
Dibrom's going to kill me for suggesting this, but maybe you could speed it up by adding --vbr-mtrh to the command line....

Anyway, it's time you upgrade your PC!

Reply #2
Originally posted by tangent
Dibrom's going to kill me for suggesting this, but maybe you could speed it up by adding --vbr-mtrh to the command line....

Anyway, it's time you upgrade your PC!

Naa..  But I wouldn't recommend doing this as it defeats a large part of the purpose of this switch currently.

Reply #3
Originally posted by jord
Do you know any way to encode songs with Dibrom's preset on the fly. CDEX offers this possibility with --r3mix using the Lame DLL.

Wouldn't be great to have this for --dm-preset standard for example?

I tried with CDEX external encoder "on the fly" option, that didn't work. To my knowledge, EAC does not offer this capability.

And on my PII, dm standard takes sooooo looong. (it encodes at 0.8x!!!).

Thanks,

Hrmm.. I'm not quite sure how CDex does the encoding on the fly, but if it just uses stdin with LAME then any setting should work.  I'll have to take a look at this sometime and see.  Maybe I can get the author of CDex to include --dm-preset standard as one of the defaults as well.

As for the speed of --dm-preset standard, I am looking at a way to increase the speed quite a bit.  I believe it will happen, but it may be awhile yet, I'm more working on increasing overall quality still.

Reply #4
Hi again,

So I tried --dm-preset standard -vbr-mtrh on 4 songs.
Indeed, the encoding process is much faster. (2x instead .8x !!!  )

I find this better  than --r3mix most of the time but not as good as --dm-preset standard 
In a nutshell, not surprisingly, speed and quality don't go together.

Thanks tangent anyway! I'll save this preset and will still use it.
I'll stick to --dn-preset standard for most of my encoding. I'll just have to get better organized.

Dibrom, needless to say I'm veeeeeery interested in any speed improvement, as a lot people out here I guess. Thanks a lot for all the work in developing these presets. IMO, they are the best!

Jord.

Reply #5
Yes it is possible to encode with Dibrom's preset on the fly. Lame executables allow to encode from standard input. To activate it in CDex do this:
use external codec, put whole commandline you like, but do not place %1 %2 in it. Instead put -x - %2 in the end of the line. Then activate encoding on the fly an also hide dos box - if you like. That should work!

Reply #6
@ HomeK,

Thaaaaaaanks! 

This is great. It works perfectly!

@ Dibrom,
I've read that you were planning to contact CDex to check this 'on the fly' option.

Using external encoder and --dm-preset standard -x - %2 is the answer.

Jord.

Reply #7
Hi, encoding nearly on the fly:

EAC !  use queued processing. It encodes track by track, after the first track has been ripped to wav.

In EAC with lame.exe in a directory you can use presets of Dibrom and customized presets .