Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 2pass abr vs. vbr for a specific file size? (Read 4393 times) previous topic - next topic

2pass abr vs. vbr for a specific file size?

If I would like to end up with about the same file size for a LC-AAC rip of a WAV file using neroaacenc.exe, am I "better off" (subjective sound quality) using 2pass abr (-2pass -br xxx000) or vbr (-q 0.yy)? I've read that just going with vbr (-q 0.yy) is best, but if that's so, why would Nero supply the -2pass switch?

I use dbPowerAmp's UI to Nero's aacplusenc.exe because it's pretty simple to deal with, but it doesn't allow for the 2pass switch as far as I can see. I've also used EAC but don't like doing that because I have to change everything when I rip to FLAC or anything else, for that matter. I've fooled around with neroaacenc.exe in a command window, but that seems the most awkward way of all.

I've looked at the 2pass discussions on Hydrogen Audio, but they seem to rapidly go off on a tangent. Maybe there's a post that's really clear, but I've missed it.

Thanks!
Otro mundo es posible.

Reply #1
I don't know why 2 pass is there as a general option. I'd stick to vbr unless i need very specific bitrates. I did test aac a year or so ago on very hard artificial stuff and abr was really no star performer - a bit worse than vbr on a few samples and better on one. In the end I couldn't find a concrete case for ABR with aac but I wouldn't say its worse than vbr either at higher bitrates.

Reply #2
Since vbr can't guarantee a bitrate, and thus, your question implies fiddling with the -q parameter until you get your desired size, I would think that abr is a lot better for that.

2pass abr implies that instead of distributing the bitrate evenly over the ABR window, there is a first pass that tries to guess the difficulty of the different parts, and prepares the codec to spend the most bits on those parts, given the bitrate constraint.

for completeness: 2pass vbr is not an option (i.e. the option is not applicable to vbr).

About the quality of ABR -2pass vs VBR, i have no information, but it should be better than "plain" ABR