Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Passthrough Streaming? (Read 2255 times) previous topic - next topic

Passthrough Streaming?

I know I'm showing my ignorance in streaming media, but it just seems silly to me to take an .OGG, decode (through Winamp), then re-encode (through Winamp's DSP) back to Vorbis so that it can source an Icecast stream. Granted, for most streams you want a higher compression (at a cost of lower quality). But if I choose to stream a -q6 and my source is a -q6, why do I have to bog down my CPU with re-encoding? And the same applies to MP3 as well...
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I wouldn't know a subtle hint if it stood on my desk in a purple dress dancing and singing, "Subtle hints are here again!"[/span]

Passthrough Streaming?

Reply #1
quite correct, not only froma processing POV but from encoding from a lossy source loses more quality.

ices2 does allow for pass though, by reading from playlist but not actually stating an encode section. It's not
perfect as it doesn't rebuild a new ogg stream but works fine for the most part.

Passthrough Streaming?

Reply #2
Can you elaborate? I have Icecast2 running on my Windows machine. (I got the binary from www.oddsock.org , the alpha2 build). I also have the Winamp DSP from there. I see nothing in either about this type of streaming. How do I set it up for pass through streaming, and what do you mean by "it doesn't rebuild a new ogg stream but works fine for the most part" ?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I wouldn't know a subtle hint if it stood on my desk in a purple dress dancing and singing, "Subtle hints are here again!"[/span]

Passthrough Streaming?

Reply #3
Can you elaborate? I have Icecast2 running on my Windows machine. (I got the binary from www.oddsock.org , the alpha2 build). I also have the Winamp DSP from there. I see nothing in either about this type of streaming. How do I set it up for pass through streaming, and what do you mean by "it doesn't rebuild a new ogg stream but works fine for the most part" ?

winamp DSP AFAIK won't do the pass through as you mentioned (it has been some time since I looked at it and I don't use windows normally).  I mentioned ices2 as a source streamer as that is what I've worked on, as opposed to the winamp DSP.  I don't see why it wouldn't be able to pass through but it depends on the API that winamp provides to the plugins.

The statement I made relates to ices2 only, it can do the pass though but it is really just a copying operation currently which works as expected to the user for the most part.  To understand about that last part fully you need to understand that an ogg stream can contain serveral vorbis streams, where each vorbis stream typically represents a track, each chained together one after the other.  On a change, a different serial number needs to feed through and with encoding that happens but with pass though it doesn't.

The chance of it happening is probably very minor (depending if the serial numbers are unique) and if it does happen then the player may not display the comments but could also get the samplerate wrong, depending on the difference between the tracks.