Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 32kbps public listening test - OPEN (Read 57022 times) previous topic - next topic

32kbps public listening test - OPEN

Reply #25
Not at all.

Reply #26
Hello.

I would like you to know that, due to an "emergency" (I must go to a $^%!@ cousin's wedding next weekend. My parents and my brothers won't be able to go, so I must go to represent our side of the family), the results won't be published with the usual speed I'm so proud of.

With a little luck, I'll be able to release them on monday afternoon. But don't hold your breath. Anyway, I'll find a way.

Sorry for the incovenience.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #27
Don't worry about that - everybody knows that you're doing a great job with all these tests! Enjoy the wedding, eat some nice food

Reply #29
I'll take the blame for that. I am CaptainCheese! You asked, no-one objected...

I winder if anyone from /. will actually help out...
Hip-hop looks like it's having more fun than you are - Chuck D

Reply #30
Because the Pro-codec doesn´t work with low bitrates, AFAIK only >= 128 kbps.

Hi,

Not in VBR Quality mode. 10%, 25% and 50% quality are low bit rate profiles for WMA 9 Professional and the average bit rate can be reduced to as low as 45 Kbps.

But we still cannot use WMA9 Pro because it is Quality VBR, the bitrate is highly fluctuating and doesn't stay at 32 Kbps.

Cheers,
McoreD

Reply #31
I'll take the blame for that. I am CaptainCheese! You asked, no-one objected...

Yes, that's OK. There are probably a handful of /. users that actually participate.

All is fine, as long as I ignore most of the comments...

Thanks for announcing it there.

Reply #32
I'm trying to run the test on OSX. When running Sample.sh, I get this segfault

Samplexx.sh: line 16: 15841 Segmentation fault      ssrc --rate 44100 --twopass $1_1a.wav $1_1.wav
Shibatch sampling rate converter version 1.29

Samplexx.sh: line 17: 15844 Segmentation fault      ssrc --rate 44100 --twopass $1_2a.wav $1_2.wav

I compiled ssrc from source, using no special options. Any help would be appreciated!

--Andrew

Reply #33
Hi, I'm wondering what Real Audio Codec is used in the test? Because they are using different technology. CELP/Subband/Transform

If the codec from Real is CELP based it should win the speaking samples.

Anyway the codecs are in theise groups, maybe some results can be connected to them later:

CELP:
Real  (if it is Sipro/Cooker)

Subband:
Lame
Mp3Pro

Transform:
AAC (DCT)
Vorbis (DCT)
QDesign (FFT)
WMA9 (DCT)

Reply #34
Tip to x86 unix users. Its much easier to use wine than download and compile a load of software. Just type:

wineconsole Sample01.bat

and so on for each sample. It uses the windows EXEs included with abchr and works pretty well.

Don't do what I did and spend loads of time getting the programs to work with the shell scripts only to discover my faad was not recent enough after taking the test!

Reply #35
MP3 is a transform format too.

Anyway, the speech samples produce good results with one codec, and very bad with another one...
ruxvilti'a

Reply #36
Any news on faad for macosx? The one on rarewares is dated 2003 it says, so I guess that's too old for this test...

Reply #37
I guess that's too old for this test...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224166"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. Noone contributed new FAAD though :/

Reply #39
Someone can give the GMT cloture hour?
i've made the test for on sample (debussy 03) but i've sent my result one hour ago and i don't know if it wan't too late...

Reply #40
Subband:
Lame
Mp3Pro

Hmm ?
I may be wrong, but mpeg layer 3 is a tranform codec.
As for subband codec examples: mpeg layer 2 and mpc...

EDIT: Half of test results I sent were w/o a name, half with it. Sorry for that, Roberto, if it will raise any problems...

Reply #42
With a little luck, I'll be able to release them on monday afternoon. But don't hold your breath. Anyway, I'll find a way.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=222687"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #43
Wish me luck. It'll still take some time, but hopefully I'll get access to a laptop  and dial-up  later today at my aunt's home.

Reply #44
Someone can give the GMT cloture hour?
i've made the test for on sample (debussy 03) but i've sent my result one hour ago and i don't know if it wan't too late...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224840"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's OK. I didn't even grab all results from my Yahoo mail (there are about 40 result e-mails there that need to be fetched, decrypted, renamed, sorted into folders...) so, by all means, results are still being accepted.

Reply #46
Wish me luck. It'll still take some time, but hopefully I'll get access to a laptop  and dial-up  later today at my aunt's home.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225254"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcome to my daily internet experience 

I'm looking forward to the results of this latest test. Good luck getting things together!

Reply #47
Although it might be a bit late with the test already past its end, could anyone explain what JABCHR is completely failing to do anything on my computer?

The biggest of its problems is that no sound plays, kind of unhelpful for an audio app  All of the play buttons just do nothing.  I don't believe it attempts any playback, from what I can tell the position slider doesn't move at all.  I'm not entirely sure as it doesn't display quite correctly, everything has a new found desire to hide from me  The app loads completely blank, but resizing the window to completely nothing then expanding again makes everything but the slider appear.  As other windows obscure it anything that was hidden becomes blank after it is exposed again.

Everything used to work fine, but I have reformatted and changed some hardware - I am now using the onboard AC97 on my Via motherboard, using their latest Vinyl Stylus drivers.  Everything else can play sound quite happily, it's just JABCHR that fails.  I also downgraded my graphics card a bit, but it is using the drivers Windows assigned it quite happily for every other task.

Eh?!
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #48
The biggest of its problems is that no sound plays, kind of unhelpful for an audio app   All of the play buttons just do nothing.  I don't believe it attempts any playback, from what I can tell the position slider doesn't move at all.  I'm not entirely sure as it doesn't display quite correctly, everything has a new found desire to hide from me   The app loads completely blank, but resizing the window to completely nothing then expanding again makes everything but the slider appear.  As other windows obscure it anything that was hidden becomes blank after it is exposed again. <snip>
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225345"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, which version of Java? Below 1.4.2 there will be problems,
as Java Sound still is in development.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #49
Well, which version of Java? Below 1.4.2 there will be problems,
as Java Sound still is in development.

It sais v1.4.2_03 - the same version I was running before.
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >