Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 2000 members!!! and a little more... (Read 5474 times) previous topic - next topic

2000 members!!! and a little more...

Hydrogenaudio has now grown into a community of 2002 members as I write.
This post is to congratulate the magnificent people that made this all possible; members, moderators, administrators and especially the founder of this great society, Dibrom.
Hydrogenaudio has developed into a place of knowledge and co-operation where people share their wisdom and help each other.
Many projects have founded root in this environment where creativity flourish.
Many professional connections have been made but even greater in number are the number of personal connections and friendships that have been made possible by hydrogenaudio.
Likewise has hydrogenaudio not suffered the same fate as many other previously great forums that got to big and out of hand but have been kept a great and inspiring place by the great group of administrators and moderators.
I thank and congratulate all members, administrator and moderators and hope that the time ahead will be as pleasant as the passed.

Reply #1
Originally posted by Jansemanden

Hydrogenaudio has now grown into a community of 2002 members as I write.

Oh bugger. We need better pest control
This post is to congratulate the magnificent people

*Blink* Magnificent? MAGNIFICENT? Hahahaha..*cough**splutter*wheeze*
that made this all possible; members

Hey, That's me..Oh wow..What a surprise..
*Sniff* You love me, you really love me

I'd like to thank my hairdresser, my stylist, my lawyer, my goldfish for always listening, the neighbour's kids for keeping my aim true and my coffee..Oh yeah, and Pinà Coladas and Jimmy Buffet
moderators

Pains in the ass
administrators

Absent pains in the ass
and especially the founder of this great society, Dibrom.

Weirdo. Got a strange taste in music too.

Hydrogenaudio has developed into a place of knowledge and co-operation

*cough**splutter*wheeze*Stop it! You're killing me
where people share their wisdom and help each other.

This is one of those sarcasm-thingies, right? I've heard of those.
Many projects have founded root in this environment where creativity flourish.

I haven't seen a single haiku, poem or painting, mate. Not even a picture of the 2001 Budweiser Girls

Many professional connections have been made but even greater in number are the number of personal connections and friendships that have been made possible by hydrogenaudio.

Save it. There aren't any girls on this board. You can stop trying hitting on them. Unless....

Likewise has hydrogenaudio not suffered the same fate as many other previously great forums that got to big and out of hand but have been kept a great and inspiring place by the great group of administrators and moderators.

"Inspiring place"? Hydrogenaudio? Where am I? Is this the twilight zone? Toto? Auntie Em?

I thank and congratulate all members

Hey that's me again..Woheee
administrator and moderators and hope that the time ahead will be as pleasant as the passed.

There's that sarcasm-thing is again. "Pleasant times"? Are you drunk, my young man? If not, please rectify that and gain proper perspective.

Wow, that was a weird experience  Anybody else feel the need to restock on their cynicism?

Reply #2
Originally posted by YinYang
Oh bugger. We need better pest control
Well, I'm not sure I argree with the tone of your post...

But you do bring up a point that has concerned me as well. With a large database of members, and new members pouring in all the time, I've seen the forum etiquette plummet. Here are some problems that I've noticed:

One huge forum that can be used as an example/threat is Doom9's forum. Reading through that forum can be painful at times because of the sheer sloppiness of the posts. The forum rules have become more like the club rules of an elite middle school clique. Several very talented and dedicated moderators have simply packed their bags and left because of the sheer number of newbie posts and the ungrateful tone that many posters have.

I don't want this to happen to Hydrogenaudio, but if things continue to move in the direction they're heading, we may witness the same deterioration.

Perhaps we could change the Hydrogenaudio logo from the strange mishmash we have now to a "forum commandments" graphic that quickly summarizes the basic forum rules...

Reply #3
Originally posted by YinYang

Oh yeah, and Pinà Coladas and Jimmy Buffet

Piña Coladas, dammit!!!!

Reply #4
Originally posted by rjamorim

Piña Coladas, dammit!!!!

HAHAHAHA. I am terrible at accents on paper

Secondly. My first post was meant as a bit of a joke. Unfortunately (in hindsigt) it wasn't funny and somewhat in bad taste.

Sorry Jan.

Regarding new posters I believe a "natural" policy of conduct slowly will appear. Posters with FAQs will most likely be politely told to use the search option. In other cases witty, polite and/or sarcastic remarks will be used to make them aware of the best way to "behave". My only major pet peeve is the desire for descriptive subject lines.

Reply #6
Good going people. Congrats. H.A. could celebrate this by removing the ugly logo that has recently appeared to the top of this site.

Reply #7
Originally posted by 2Bdecided
YinYang - your first post was hilarious!
Well, I'm not commenting whether it was hilarious or not personally, but it's true that there's still lot to do. HA is not yet working at the full potential, but there are some big plans, but those may take a while...
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #8
As a newbie here I have to say I'm impressed with the knowledge of users here,at times some of the talk goes a little over my head but I'm learning fast and looking forward to inputting more.
Above all its a friendly place and no-one is made made to feel like they've interrupted a close group and are intruding.
A thumbs up to you all

Reply #9
what kind of mushrooms did you take before you wrote your first post yinyang?

Reply #10
Originally posted by Tinribs
Above all its a friendly place and no-one is made made to feel like they've interrupted a close group and are intruding.
A thumbs up to you all

Overall, I would agree. But there are always a few bad apples. My experience hasn't been the greatest so far.

Reply #11
Originally posted by shday
Overall, I would agree. But there are always a few bad apples. My experience hasn't been the greatest so far.
Hmm, you clearly refer to the ABX probability discussion..  Well, people here have sometimes strong opinions, but at least in my opinion there wasn't anything obviously offensive in that thread.
Hopefully your experience will be better in the future.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #12
Originally posted by JohnV
Hmm, you clearly refer to the ABX probability discussion..  Well, people here have sometimes strong opinions, but at least in my opinion there wasn't anything obviously offensive in that thread.
Hopefully your experience will be better in the future.

Well, the offending post, where I was accused of trolling, was deleted. That post offended me very much. You probably didn't see it.

My experience is improving btw

Reply #13
For newbie questions, I think that the minimum answer is a link.

A sticky  thread, or a FAQ section summarizing all links towards the answers to FAQs can be interesting, and helps moderators to find quickly the right link to post in order to answer a FAQ.

Winamp made a very impressive one at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=36850

At r3mix.net, a FAQ forum was created (http://66.96.216.160/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=faq). I made a thread of the same kind as Winamp's i it (http://66.96.216.160/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board...&num=1010357512).
Then I realized it was better to move the old threads themselves in the FAQ section, keeping only links towards external forums in the original FAQ thread (because there are many links towards here and EAC's forum too).

It doesn't prevent newbies to ask FAQs, but it allows to keep all old interesting threads at hand.

Reply #14
One problem I see in linking to old threads is, that lots of information in our area becomes old pretty soon. Also there might be confusing messages in the thread.

Very good (bad) example is the arstechica's audio FAQ.. There's "years" old information there.

We are working on a FAQ section and forum. It will probably be a somekind of combination.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #15
I think this a splendid forum.  Most of the criticisms could as well apply to hundreds of other forums.  But, since someone faulted users for not looking into prior threads... The search engine has a serious flaw in that it balks at requests containing a 3-letter word.  You know how many of those there are in this area!  Somehow, could it be tweaked to permit a 3-letter acronym plus a longer normal word?

Reply #16
Originally posted by ckjnigel
The search engine has a serious flaw in that it balks at requests containing a 3-letter word.  You know how many of those there are in this area!  Somehow, could it be tweaked to permit a 3-letter acronym plus a longer normal word?
You can search 3 letter words using *. Like using the search term: "aac* AND plugin" (without ").
Juha Laaksonheimo