Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 'Audiophile' stuff (Read 3559 times) previous topic - next topic

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #1
Oxygen-Free Bidirectional copper cable.
This UNIQUE product consists of twin multi-stranded cores, each of which comprises 45 strands of 0.2mm oxygen-free antimony-copper wire. Each strand is individually sealed with a protective flexible urethane varnish. The double-twisted strands are arranged so that bidirectional current flow can take place with electrons able to move in BOTH directions (electrons move through the copper while positively charged "holes" move through the antimony).

Wow. That's possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
I wonder if the genius who wrote it ever wonders how the "positive holes" get into his electrical system to begin with without antimony house wiring.
  Unbelievable.

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #2
...I wonder if the genius who wrote it ever wonders how the "positive holes" get into his electrical system to begin with without antimony house wiring.

Actually that part is more or less correct. Still, in reality electrons do the moving (jumping from hole to hole), but you might say there are holes moving the opposite direction.
Something however goes wrong in how this translates to audible advantages.... 

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #3
Actually that part is more or less correct. Still, in reality electrons do the moving (jumping from hole to hole), but you might say there are holes moving the opposite direction.
Something however goes wrong in how this translates to audible advantages....

I am fully aware of the physical notation for representing moving charge in electrical systems with "positive holes"; this is archaic notation as electrons are now known to be negatively charged, but since the only fundamental difference is the sign, the net result is identical.
  That is the justification that lazy physicists use, at least. Chemists deal with reality

What I found amusing was the claim that Antimony is selectively conducting the "negative holes" while the copper was selectivity conducting electrons in the opposite direction. Logic would dictate then that these folks should biwire the house with Antimony and Cu as well. Otherwise they might run out of positive holes!

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #4
  Wow. That's possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
I wonder if the genius who wrote it ever wonders

While you're wondering about what genius wrote it, did you notice that the web addresses have bits like "bs" and "scam" in them?  These web pages are april fool material like light bulbs that emit darkness when hooked up to negative frequency AC current.

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #5
Did you even look at the first page?
It's a relatively clever send-up (or wind-up) of actual audiophile-style garbage, in direct contrast to the second and the slashdot posting. The "Kapak wool" in particular is quite amusing. Tritium is very good for acoustics apparently.
edit:tritIum

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #6
I read stuff like that on a daily basis on head-fi (especially when people are talking about cables, arrrgh)... it's lost the ability to surprise me.  Interestingly enough, there's much less of this type of BS on the "Vinyl Asylum" at audioasylum.com, probably because there are enough things that legitimately affect the sound of vinyl playback without having to make up too much stuff.

It seems people are in search of improvements, but more importantly -- a sense of control and accomplishment, perhaps the thrill of "buying the best."  What's amazing is that some people are willing to spend so much *($% money to find it, and believe outrageous claims.  There's a lot of "group think" on most message boards, of course, and in "audiophilia" in general...

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #7
That is the justification that lazy physicists use, at least. Chemists deal with reality

iirc, Antimony based material can actually be made electron-depleted. In this context, moving holes are more appropriate even with chemists, or?

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #8
Yes, but MY speaker cables actually allow you to HEAR when an electron chooses which hole to jump into...  but you must listen first.
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #9
Coming from a science and engineering background,  this stuff always cracks me up.  Or something...  Sometimes I just shake my head,  or have to hold it gently for a while.

One thing I really love,  is cables that have an ARROW on them to show which way the signal should flow!!

Hey,  those 3' interconnects cost $1000,  they must know something we don't!!!

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #10
One thing I really love,  is cables that have an ARROW on them to show which way the signal should flow!!

Isn't that to show on which end the shielding is connected?

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #11
Well,  that might actually make sense.. 

But I read one description,  where it was supposed to be the way the signal should flow,  due to the orientation of the crystal structure of the wire... 

'Audiophile' stuff

Reply #12
Did anyone miss
NOTE: All prices are in pounds. If you prefer prices in kilogrammes please ask

at the end of the first link?
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Ib[/span]