Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Overrated artists (Read 3536 times) previous topic - next topic

Overrated artists

Eric Clapton. Good artist but very average guitarist.

Bruce Springsteen. I can't stand him.

Re: Overrated artists

Reply #1
This topic is pointless because it's super subjective mostly.  There might be artists that most would agree are overrated but it's also just opinion.

Reply #2
This topic is pointless because it's super subjective mostly. 

Mostly, not entirely. Okay, Springsteen must be a matter of personal taste.

But Clapton has always be hailed as a sort of guitar hero. I've never understand why.

There might be artists that most would agree are overrated but it's also just opinion.

Opinions are based on facts. A least the good ones like mines  :))

Reply #3
Mostly, not entirely. Okay, Springsteen must be a matter of personal taste.

But Clapton has always be hailed as a sort of guitar hero. I've never understand why.
I don't listen to either artist and I'm not aware of Clapton being considered a guitar hero.

Opinions are based on facts. A least the good ones like mines  :))
Opinions can be based on other's opinions.  I don't consider your opinion to be a good one or bad one but just a personal opinion.  Music preference are just that.

Reply #4
Green Day
An average garage band.
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #5
Overrated artists? The ones you have listed (except Green Day) are sacred monsters compared to what we find today.

If music were what they do today I would have other passions and a much richer bank account, I would not have spent money on loudspeakers and hi-fi systems to hear modern crap composed on the computer. An artist is what he can do live.

The stereo is fake, the stage fake, the singers have Autotune in their throats and therefore all 10 records sold 9 are in the catalog, nothing new. It is curious that I find myself here reading about the compression artifacts when there really isn't much to reproduce, or about the 24 or 32 bit S/N ratio when the microphones used stop at 70dB.

Or I read a discussion about how much 16bit is enough without finding anyone capable of writing that in production it is necessary to exceed, then you can also go back to 16bit for most of the contents, for the record for the human voice 14bit is enough.

The problem is that we are a society of people who talk about what they don't practice.

Reply #6
I don't listen to either artist and I'm not aware of Clapton being considered a guitar hero.

TOP 100 according to Rolling Stone in 2011

1 - Jimi Hendrix
2 - Eric Clapton
3 - Jimmy Page
4 - Keith Richards
5 - Jeff Beck
6 - B. B. King
7 - Chuck Berry
8 - Eddie Van Halen
9 - Duane Allman
10 - Pete Townshend

There is two women  :D

75 - Joni Mitchell
89 - Bonnie Raitt.

Reply #7

Or I read a discussion about how much 16bit is enough without finding anyone capable of writing that in production it is necessary to exceed, then you can also go back to 16bit for most of the contents, for the record for the human voice 14bit is enough.

Because it was not about production. It also depend on the producer skills, with a talented one 16 bit is more than enough. No need for a 128 bits safety net !

Reply #8
sacred monsters
Well if they are elevated to "sacred monster" status without having accomplished anything to deserve it, then that is "overrated".

Then there are overrated works by artists who ... recorded much better stuff than My Ding-a-ling.

Reply #9
TOP 100 according to Rolling Stone in 2011

1 - Jimi Hendrix
2 - Eric Clapton
3 - Jimmy Page
4 - Keith Richards
5 - Jeff Beck
6 - B. B. King
7 - Chuck Berry
8 - Eddie Van Halen
9 - Duane Allman
10 - Pete Townshend

Yes people on the internet keep quoting that Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists list.
That top 100 list must have been put together by a group of old people for old people
Neil Young at Number 17, Just why???
Guthrie Govan should be in the top 20
& for a short time in the 60's (66 -68) Peter Green was just as good as Clapton. Could have been better. But for substance abuse and mental illness.

Reply #10

Yes people on the internet keep quoting that Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists list.
That top 100 list must have been put together by a group of old people for old people
Neil Young at Number 17, Just why???

A TOP 1 is enough !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zs1FVXvP-E

Hendrix in Paris when it was still populated with Parisians and the two pound of oranges for 20 cents  ;)