Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [POINTLESS] adplug component bug? (Read 2152 times) previous topic - next topic

[POINTLESS] adplug component bug?

Hi

A question for kode54.

Please have a look at the screenshot. When trying to play the attached ADL file, foobar displays a huge playlist (screenshot is only showing the top of the list, there is more if you scroll down) just for this file with many '?' length entries.

Is this a bug?

If this is not a bug, what does it all mean?

Latest stable foobar and adplug component is used.

thx in avance
Foobar2000 - It Really Whips ALL Llamas' Ass!

Re: adplug component bug?

Reply #1
foobar2000 is probably the only player that supports multiple songs in a single file "properly".

ADL is a massively under-documented game format. It is known to contain loads of issues. I used to just outright disable the format. Now I just parse it like any other AdPlug supported format. I won't be changing anything. They can fix their own mess.

Reply #2
Why not remove all the '?' entries in the code for ADL files? I mean: only display the entries with actual song length.

The way it is now, foobar is not really usable for ADL files.
If I add a whole folder of ADL files, I can scroll forever to skip all the '?' entries.

Reply #3
I won't be changing anything. They can fix their own mess.

Please remove the '?' length songs?

Reply #4
I posted another message about many errors I receive in the same component with different file formats

Reply #5
Disregarding the gigantic flame that was posted here before it was quickly edited away, I have decided that my users would benefit from this sub-10-minute fix.

It really should be AdPlug's job to fix it, but I didn't exactly report it to them.

Main open() function already probed all subsongs for their lengths, now it stores indexes as well, and discards subsongs that have a zero length. You will still get some minor pollution of short or "0:00" (sub-one-second) length songs, but those are legitimate "songs", likely sound effects.

Please seek help, or at least refrain from combating my rudeness with even more rudeness. I don't like giving users the idea they can badger me into fixing bugs, either.

Reply #6
My apologies!

Thanks for fixing it.

Why don't you report this to adplug?
If you say they need to handle this, then please submit the issues on github.
The other bug for the IMF files I reported.

I have no knowledge about this issue and don't know how to describe/report it on github.

If you tell me what exactly to write on github, I'm happy to copy paste it there.

Reply #7
Is it possible to put the up to date source code of only the adplug component on github or anywhere else?

I'm very interested in looking at it, even if I never made a foobar component. I know C++ , just not the foobar API.

I use adplug component daily and play thousands of files with it.
So I just want to report all 'bugs' or problems I find.
I understand adplug can be the problem but as you can see on its github, nothing is going on there and the IMF bug is still not fixed!

So thx a lot for making the fixes in your code even if adplug is the bad guy!

Reply #8
I will report it to AdPlug, if there's anything they can do about it. Basically, I just need to ignore zero length songs, skipping over them like they don't exist.

Incidentally, my personal Git repository is open to browsing even without logging into it. Some of my source code set off their DMCA filter at one point anyway, but never on Bitbucket.

https://g.losno.co/chris/

I'll see about pushing mirrors of some things to Bitbucket, but there's no guarantees:

https://bitbucket.org/losnoco/

Reply #9
Why not use github? The most easiest and widely used platform?
Everybody can download without logging in ...

Reply #10
I will report it to AdPlug, if there's anything they can do about it. Basically, I just need to ignore zero length songs, skipping over them like they don't exist.

Is this because we don't know why those cr*p subsongs (sub-0 length) are in there because of the under-documented ADL format or what are they doing in there?

Reply #11
They're there because it doesn't know they're 0-length until I try to probe their length, which I do on open.

I can't put my foobar2000 tree on Github because it contains files that Github would tell me to remove, including their complete history of existence. They already did this to me once, I'm not risking it again.