Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #5, etc.] From: Normalizing very old music (Read 3535 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #5, etc.] From: Normalizing very old music

Shall we take that as a no to our requests that you provide samples?

Reply #1

No, I have 2 I'll attach. I was out most of the day yesterday and part of today. Now I can get back to this. Unfortunately I see no way to attach or send the sample files in the message box. I looked through the FAQ and help files, but saw nothing. I'll keep looking. Wouldn't mind a personal message. Thanks

P.S. Can I hack in somehow and put in my own attach files box 

Reply #2
Use the upload forum and reference it via a message in this forum, optionally with a link  pointing to the message in upload forum

Reply #3
Use the upload forum and reference it via a message in this forum, optionally with a link  pointing to the message in upload forum

I'm having too many technical difficulties on this site. I didn't grow up with computers, like many of you. I'm 66. Aside from my brain, part of my problem might be Firefox with Add ons like, NoScript, Ghostery and certain Google blockers. It keeps a lot of garbage out of my rather old computer. Time for a new mobo.

I'm just going to apologize and say thanks to everyone for their time. Goodbye and best regards,

Alan

Reply #4
I tried to include a picture of the Audacity waveforms, but it looks like I need Photobucket to do that. Too much trouble.
No, you do not. Sorry, but between this and your above dismissal of the request to upload clips, what exactly would qualify as not being horribly laborious to you?

For images, just go to a free hosting site like imgur.com, upload an image, get the link, and post it between [img] tags. For clips, just go to our subforum Uploads that has already been linked by another member, start a new thread, and attach your files using the button provided. Or hey, as far as I know, you could even upload the images here and link them that way, but you might find the former method easier. None of this should be any trouble at all, in any case.

Reply #5
I can't see all but one of those pictures due to dead links, but the one that loads looks like a normal track, except with slightly lower volume.  I think just running it through replaygain or even just manually boosting the gain should be fine.

I cleaned my cache etc. out, came back to this site, clicked on the link and it opened right up.

Reply #6

The following is not directed at you ........ Please forward this to whoever set up this site ........

I cleaned my cache etc. out, came back to this site, clicked on the link (someone said it was dead) to a photo and it opened right up. I don't think this site was set up very well. As a test, I tried to log in on my wife's computer and the site didn't know who I was. Wha ? What's up with that ? I make high precision telescope optics (doesn't make me a computer pro or a heart surgeon) so I'm not stupid, but I do get annoyed with cranky websites. This site should have a direct upload feature for music samples and pics .... NO THIRD PARTY baloney. Aren't computers supposed to save us time ? A good example of a friendly, well constructed website is something like 'Cloudy Nights'. Easy to use. Check it out just to see what I mean.

Reply #7
Thanks SP

Humor: What was the name of that airship that blew up because it was filled with HYDROGEN ? 

Reply #8
I cleaned my cache etc. out, came back to this site, clicked on the link (someone said it was dead) to a photo and it opened right up. I don't think this site was set up very well.

I just looked more carefully and your links do not work because you've doubled the HTTP part.  Change:

Code: [Select]
http://https//s3.amazonaws.com/images.pr-alpha.com/medias/9695dbf594666382f8da6fcfbb669ed53aad2f5e/mobile.jpg

to

Code: [Select]
http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.pr-alpha.com/medias/9695dbf594666382f8da6fcfbb669ed53aad2f5e/mobile.jpg

And people will be able to see them.

As a test, I tried to log in on my wife's computer and the site didn't know who I was. Wha ? What's up with that ? I make high precision telescope optics (doesn't make me a computer pro or a heart surgeon) so I'm not stupid, but I do get annoyed with cranky websites.

If you forgot your password, I'm sure you can reset it.

This site should have a direct upload feature for music samples and pics .... NO THIRD PARTY baloney.

This site does provide first party hosting, and it works well.  See the post above suggesting that you use it.

FWIW, none of this belongs in this thread, so its probably going to be deleted once you've seen it.  In the future, it'll waste less time if you're just on topic.

Reply #9
What was the name of that airship that blew up because it was filled with HYDROGEN ?
Very off target, but the Hindenburg did not burn because of any problem  with or from hydrogen. The technical problems with hydrogen as an potentially explosive lifting agent  were recognized, and solved, well before the disaster. The Germans knew  the areal answer almost immediately but you may recall that they were moving into not such friendly relations with much of the world about them. They might also have had liability considerations. The information on the real cause was hidden in the company archives in Germany.

It was much later, I think in the 1990s, that a NASA scientist, an expert in hydrogen propulsion, got curious after watching the film recording of the incident.  He realized what he saw was nothing like a hydrogen fire. He eventually figured it out and then found the records that verified his conclusions. It was a magnesium-iron oxide fire from a new coating developed for the gas bags, which was ignited by a lightning strike. Hydrogen was vented off the ship very quickly in the event of a problem, too quickly to contribute anything significant to the fire.

Reply #10
I cleaned my cache etc. out, came back to this site, clicked on the link (someone said it was dead) to a photo and it opened right up.
Your last think is fine. One of your earlier links has an extra bit at the start which prevents it from working, just as saratoga has explained.

I don't think this site was set up very well.
Many thousands of people have been using it just fine for more than a decade

The uploads forum part of Hydrogenaudio works just fine. It's slightly trickier than being able to attach something directly to a post itself, but not much.

While you may think you're giving constructive criticism, it's actually coming across as very insulting to the people who set up the site, look after the site, and pay for the site.

Aren't computers supposed to save us time ?
Only if you limit yourself to doing exactly what you would have done without a computer. Given that computers open up endless possibilities, we tend to spend more time on things than we would have done, doing things that were previously impossible.

e.g. copying music for portable use. In the old days, we used cassettes. I'd copy the CDs I wanted to listen to on-the-move to cassettes and make compilations. It was slow and laborious. I probably never had more than 20-30 cassettes for this purpose at any time. Luckily ripping CDs to mp3s is much much quicker and far more convenient - it takes a couple of minutes to copy a CD, rather than an hour. However, because of this, I want to rip all my CDs, and copy lots of other formats too. The total time spent will exceed the total time spent recording those 30 cassettes.

Given that it appears to be legal, can you tell us where you bought the music from that's causing you this problem? I know of a couple of sites that sell old music which pay great attention to quality. I've only got their CDs, but assume their mp3s are just as good. See what you think...

http://www.pastperfect.com/
http://www.pristineclassical.com/

Cheers,
David.