Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible to export a playlist from foobar2000 to my Sony MP3 player? (Read 8101 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible to export a playlist from foobar2000 to my Sony MP3 player?

Is it possible to export a play list to my MP3 player?

Bob Harris

Reply #1
1) From what software?

2) To what MP3 player?
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #2
From Foobar 2000 to my Sony MP3 Player

Reply #4
It just depends on which player you have. For iPods, there's a foobar plugin that lets you export playlists in one step. I don't think (could be wrong!) there is a comparable plugin for Sony players.

What you will likely have to do is save an .m3u playlist to your computer by going to File -> Save Playlist in foobar. The you'll have to get that .m3u playlist onto your Sony player somehow - probably with an app from Sony, if there is one. How do you usually get music onto your player?

Reply #5
My Sony player is a walkman. I have saved a playlist to my desktop and loaded it (via file transfer) into my player. The player sees the file but does not recognize the foobar file format. What I am doing now is copying individual mp3 files to a folder on my desktop and then copying the folder to my player. This works fine except it can only be seen in my p;ayer "folders" list but it does work. Thanks for your replies.

Reply #6
I have saved a playlist to my desktop and loaded it (via file transfer) into my player. The player sees the file but does not recognize the foobar file format.
What kind of playlist? Did you try using M3U, as suggested above? That’s a widely supported playlist format, not specific to foobar2000.

What I am doing now is copying individual mp3 files to a folder on my desktop and then copying the folder to my player. This works fine except it can only be seen in my p;ayer "folders" list but it does work.
Of course, if you find that M3U playlists do work, you’ll still have to copy the audio files referenced therein at the same time and into the same folder on your player.

Reply #7
No I have not tried the M3U format and I missed it in the first suggestion. I'll try it later today and let you know how I made out. Thanks.

Reply #8
No problem. Ignore what I said above that you have to put the songs in the same folder: you can use relative pathnames to point to other folders too (see the article about M3U at Wikipedia). So, for example, if F: was your player, you could have:

F:\Music\Playlists\Playlist.m3u

…which might read something like…

\Music\GenreX\Band1\AlbumD\Song6.mp3
\Music\GenreY\Band5\AlbumY\Song5.mp3

This means you can store all your music in folders by a logical structure and browse it that way, and also create playlists for favourite tracks, specific occasions, moods, etc.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure exactly how foobar2000 deals with writing relative paths in M3U files, so someone else will have to confirm that for you!

Reply #9
No I have not tried the M3U format and I missed it in the first suggestion. I'll try it later today and let you know how I made out. Thanks.

The M3U file format was rejected by the Sony. The sony uses a "PLA" file format (??????).  Thanks again.

Reply #10
I guess you will have to use the official software to make playlists, then. Or an unofficial app that can create or convert them for you.

I did a brief Google search for you and found a couple of links that might provide a solution:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43660
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/...hone-car-audio/
There was also a program to convert M3U to PLA, but it referred to Sansa players so I cannot say whether these use the exact same format or just another one with the same file extension.

Perhaps if you Google for queries like foobar2000 Sony PLA you could find more information.