Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Decode ogg with XLD (Read 14144 times) previous topic - next topic

Decode ogg with XLD

Hi everyone!
When i try to open ogg files with XLD it says:

Error
Cannot open the input file.

There is an option to "Open as RAW PCM(+cue)"
but output files transcoded this way are just random noise.
I've tried different ogg;s and always the same result..

Can anyone help please?

XLD 120.3
OSX 10.6

Decode ogg with XLD

Reply #1
i just got your post on a google search and despite it's from may 2010, here's the answer.

check "/Applications/XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns". you'll see that there's only support for vorbis encoding (output) but not for decoding.
xld was written with lossless support in mind, as the author told me.

anyway, there is a libsndfile decoder plugin in there which provides decoding for other formats and since, from libsndfile's website, "From version 1.0.18, libsndfile also reads and writes FLAC and Ogg/Vorbis.", i guess xld uses an older version of libsndfile.

mp3 decoding, on another hand, is supported but in a limited way. it doesn't have tag reading support.
if you wish to preserve tags when converting a mp3 to ogg for example, you'll need an unsupported mp3 decoder available here and replace the existing one (backup first) in the plugins folder path above.

i suggested tmkk (xld's author) if he could at least update to libsndfile 1.0.22 (current version) which is already implemented anyway and wouldn't require any additional support for a vorbis decoder plugin, but i'm still waiting for an answer.

truth is, if you need perfect rips and correct cuesheet support you'll have to use xld. if you need lossy format interchangeability you'll have to use max.
i really like the concept of 1 app for all audio needs and i was afraid to switch from win to osx because i thought there were not enough apps. soon i realized there are enough apps, just not enough functionality (some paid apps even trick us with just an eyecandy gui to do the work of a built-in unix command).

whether it's lossless or lossy, well, it should be the user's option for gain or loss.

Decode ogg with XLD

Reply #2
i suggested tmkk (xld's author) if he could at least update to libsndfile 1.0.22 (current version) which is already implemented anyway and wouldn't require any additional support for a vorbis decoder plugin, but i'm still waiting for an answer.

replying to myself here's tmkk's answer:

Libsndfile itself doesn't support them natively. It just depends on the libvorbis/libFLAC libary. XLD already uses libsndfile version 1.0.21, so it makes no sense to update the library.

Decode ogg with XLD

Reply #3
truth is, if you need perfect rips and correct cuesheet support you'll have to use xld. if you need lossy format interchangeability you'll have to use max.
i really like the concept of 1 app for all audio needs and i was afraid to switch from win to osx because i thought there were not enough apps.
soon i realized there are enough apps, just not enough functionality (some paid apps even trick us with just an eyecandy gui to do the work of a built-in unix command).

whether it's lossless or lossy, well, it should be the user's option for gain or loss.

Totally agree with you!! Thanks for reply, I've been waiting for it all the time
It's a shame that even most current version of xld still doesn't support ogg decodnig.
I'll come up with my own plugin someday 
I even found a public domain decoder writen i C  http://nothings.org/stb_vorbis/
Will let You know when it happens!

Decode ogg with XLD

Reply #4
i have good news, blund. i bothered tmkk so much that he released an unsupported vorbis decoder for xld.

mp3 decoder
ogg decoder

Decode ogg with XLD

Reply #5
Hello Blund and Mimiihu!

Thank you so much guys for your discussion!
It seems that even after almost 5 years it is still very actual.
XLD still does not support .ogg conversion. At least after my poor research.
Please let me know if I am wrong!
And also, dear mimiihu, if you still have those "unsupported" decoders for ogg and mp3, that you uploaded in your last message, could you repost them!

thank you lads:)

Re: Decode ogg with XLD

Reply #6
Reviving this old discussion since the situation remains the same as of August 2017..

This would be a very useful feature since I'm transcoding ogg -> mp3 for my car and phone every now and then and I haven't found a proper tool for it. XLD would be excellent, since it's already the best tool for transcoding wav/flac to ogg/mp3. Any other recommendations for mac?