Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: laptop with Ergo Pioneer DDJ Controller.. i want MIC support globally. (Read 2363 times) previous topic - next topic

laptop with Ergo Pioneer DDJ Controller.. i want MIC support globally.

Hey everyone,

I am using a laptop with a DDJ Pioneer Ergo controller hooked up and a mic hooked up into the controller.. I want to be able to use the mic no matter what app is running (music bee or Traktor for DJing) or even when I am on the desk top, i want just be able to turn the MIC on and speak... any suggestions for this? Right now all I can do is speak through traktor, but when I am doing a gig and I have music bee on random play.. I dont want to have to jump into traktor and stop the music to say something into a mic for a few minutes??!! ! Any ideas?

Reply #1
Get a DJ mixer (real, not a controller!) or a mic preamp (to connect it to the line in of the real soundcard) and forget about the mic in your controller. Maybe even buy a soundcard with a reasonably good mic input.

From reading the manual in the other thread you posted, I felt this is a cheap (as in not for professionals, but for prosumers), so it is designed to do what it is made for, and not much more.

Reply #2

Get a DJ mixer (real, not a controller!) or a mic preamp (to connect it to the line in of the real soundcard) and forget about the mic in your controller. Maybe even buy a soundcard with a reasonably good mic input.

From reading the manual in the other thread you posted, I felt this is a cheap (as in not for professionals, but for prosumers), so it is designed to do what it is made for, and not much more.

How much would I be looking for? I just want something cheap for the few live gigs i do from time to time. My Shure M58 mic won't even work with the POS ergo controller i got one for like 29.99 and it works like a charm.. what would be the cheapest but a good solution for this?

Reply #3
I can't give an advice about current devices. I used to have a small DJ mixer, in which I connected the output of two soundcards and that connected to the integrated amplifier. Both, the amplifier and the DJ mixer had microphone inputs.

There are and have been soundcards that have specific mic inputs intended for speaking (like the older Audigy's that included a connector bay that was placed in a cd-rom slot).
If your soundcard has a mic input, I would try recording something with a wave editor (like Audacity) and verify the frequency range and how it sounds. It might be a working solution already. (It's just that many cheap PC soundcards just care about chatting and the mic input is intentionally filtered and DSP processed)

Having said that, and since you have a relatively good microphone, i suggested having a mic preamp. A mic preamp is then connected to the line in of the soundcard (which should work fine for this purpose).