Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPEG-4 Audio Lossless: final specifications (Read 127471 times) previous topic - next topic

MPEG-4 Audio Lossless: final specifications

Reply #75
The difference is that MP3 did not have much competition at the time. However, the succes of any MPEG format is much more related to adoptation by companies, than that it is to patent issues.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354756"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can look at it from another perspective - companies didn't have much of a choice than giving support for mp3.

Reply #76
Also the adoption of a loseless format would mean higher bandwith use. 4mb verus 30mb.

Reply #77
Also the adoption of a loseless format would mean higher bandwith use. 4mb verus 30mb.

Average connection speed today is much faster than it was at the time when MP3 was invented.

Reply #78
Average connection speed today is much faster than it was at the time when MP3 was invented.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355027"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But think in the servers point of view. I don't want to have an 10 times bigger bill if the lossy formats sound just fine. Lossy formats won't disapear soon. Images are still encoded in jpg format for example.

Reply #79
Apart from a smaller filesize, what's so exciting about ANOTHER lossless format? Are there really not enough different audio-formats out there, not  just to mention all the different lossless formats????

Personally I've given vorbis a try, but I forced myself back to MP3 for compatibility reasons.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #80
Apart from a smaller filesize, what's so exciting about ANOTHER lossless format? Are there really not enough different audio-formats out there, not  just to mention all the different lossless formats????

Personally I've given vorbis a try, but I forced myself back to MP3 for compatibility reasons.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356299"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's standardized? It has better performance for high bitrates/sampling rates? It supports good rates with float data?

Reply #81

Speaking as a person with a significant amount of time and effort invested in a CD collection that is now all on my hard drive as flac files...

Standards. And the hope of the benefits of standards.

Yes, there ARE too many lossless formats already. And none of them has been adopted by everyone, since none has a clearly compelling advantage.

A format being accepted as a standard by a major industry group is an advantage. If that fact causes it to be supported by Most Major Platforms (i.e.: supported out of the box by OS-X, Windows, and Unix variants such as Linux, supported out of the box on i-Pod and many MP3 players).

If that happened, I'd gladly take the time (ok, it would just be a script this time) to convert my flac files to THAT format.

*If* that happened...

Mark

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."
-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

Reply #82
Is there a directshow/winamp/etc decoder available?
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #84
I think most people say that FLAC is the archivist's codec, from the old lossless survey results, and people's comments, because it is completely free, has decent speed and compression ratio's, but mostly because it's GPL.
minor nit: the codec is licensed bsd-like:
The reference implementation libraries are licensed under Xiph's variant of the BSD License, a.k.a. the Xiph License.

Reply #85
Hey, guys, can anyone tell me what the command-line settings for EAC are?..
Or there are no such settings at all?..

Reply #87
Just out of curiosity, what does S in ALS stand for? It's "s" in "lossless"?

Reply #89
are you saying it's a recursive acronym? I don't think so.

Reply #90
are you saying it\\\'s a recursive acronym? I don\\\'t think so.

form wiki

Audio Lossless Coding, also known as MPEG-4 ALS, is an extension to the MPEG-4 audio standard to allow lossless audio compression. The extension was finalised in December 2005.

Reply #91

are you saying it\\\'s a recursive acronym? I don\\\'t think so.

form wiki

Audio Lossless Coding, also known as MPEG-4 ALS, is an extension to the MPEG-4 audio standard to allow lossless audio compression. The extension was finalised in December 2005.

What are you trying to say?

Reply #93
Yes, we know what it stands for, but where does the ALS come fron?

Audio Lossless S...?

I guess it's probably the S from Lossless as the original poster also thought.

Reply #94
Considering
Audio Lossless Coding = ALS
and
Scalable Lossless Coding = SLS,
perhaps LS stands for "Lossless" here. Still.... it could have been ALC and SLC just like
Advanced Audio Coding = AAC
and
Advanced Video Coding = AVC.

The news release, "MPEG-4 ALS (audio lossless coding)" is ready says "14496-3 3rd ED AMD 2 (ALS): MPEG-4 audio 3rd edition amendment 2. It is usually called as ALS." in its <Terminology> section, but why it is "usually called" so is unclear.

Just a random interest

Reply #96
I think that it is Audio-LS (lossless), in a similar naming to JPEG-LS

Reply #98
As far as I can see, only a small bugfix. Still no sign of MP4 embedding or at least a reference file for that (was promised months ago).

They are going to release a Winamp plugin before they finish MP4 embedding? Yeah, let's spread those .ALS files instead of proper containers. Perhaps we can even tack ID3v2 on them, hah!

Please tell me it ain't so.