Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What do you call those little antennas? (Read 1932 times) previous topic - next topic

What do you call those little antennas?

So, I got one on a Bose Wave radio and one on an Insignia HD Radio. It's basically just a push on type coax connector with a couple feet of single strand insulated wire coming off of it. I've seen it as an accessory as I said, but I've not been able to find it for sale and I don't know what to call it for Google.

Let me explain why I am looking to buy some of them. I work as an X-ray tech who does portable exams in nursing homes. A few of our homes are poor, inner city facilities. More than once I have seen people watching TV with only a paper clip stuck into the hole of the F connector as an antenna. Since they are right in the city, it sort of works. But only if everything is set up just right. As I move around their room performing the exam the signal goes in and out with my position. I can tell it is incredibly frustrating for these people. For many, TV is their only connection to the outside world.

If I could buy a dozen of these, I could always keep one in my pocket and really help improve these people's quality of life. I could keep a dozen in the truck. If anyone can find me a link to buy these (I can't imagine they would be more than a buck each), you would be doing these people a service as well. Thanks in advance.

Re: What do you call those little antennas?

Reply #1
What you're describing sounds more like an AM or FM antenna, which might not be that great for TV because that's usually transmitted at a much higher frequency (at least in countries that have switched to digital, like the USA).

Although I agree that anything would probably be better than a paper clip, I would suggest giving this a try. It's not a buck and it won't go in your pocket, but you'll still be a hero.

Cheap HDTV antenna on eBay

Reply #2
Nice idea.  I searched "FM wire antenna" on eBay and the results were surprisingly no cheaper than the better solution above or this less expensive one.

Reply #3
So, I got one on a Bose Wave radio and one on an Insignia HD Radio. It's basically just a push on type coax connector with a couple feet of single strand insulated wire coming off of it. I've seen it as an accessory as I said, but I've not been able to find it for sale and I don't know what to call it for Google.

Let me explain why I am looking to buy some of them. I work as an X-ray tech who does portable exams in nursing homes. A few of our homes are poor, inner city facilities. More than once I have seen people watching TV with only a paper clip stuck into the hole of the F connector as an antenna. Since they are right in the city, it sort of works. But only if everything is set up just right. As I move around their room performing the exam the signal goes in and out with my position. I can tell it is incredibly frustrating for these people. For many, TV is their only connection to the outside world.

If I could buy a dozen of these, I could always keep one in my pocket and really help improve these people's quality of life. I could keep a dozen in the truck. If anyone can find me a link to buy these (I can't imagine they would be more than a buck each), you would be doing these people a service as well. Thanks in advance.

Pricing of these is indeed pretty strange.   You can roll your own and get them for about half price.

(1)  Take a  push on type F jumper cable  3 feet or longer and cut in half with lengths to suit.

(2) Take wire strippers and remove flexible sheath and metal stra: 2 nd or foil shield to yield the insulated inner wire with the length desired from each half.

(3) Result: 2 antenna cables

Reply #4
A (probably) cheaper method:
Buy a roll of single-strand wire of a gauge that firmly fits the centre hole in an F connector. Cut off a couple of feet, strip the insulation from one end and poke it in the connector. If the connector is a Belling-Lee type (larger hole), bend the wire end double.  Bend the wire at right angles just past the connector and gaffer-tape it to the back of the TV so it points up. Bend it for best reception. It''ll be stiff enough to hold that position.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day