Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_podcatcher (Read 214005 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_podcatcher

Reply #77
Because many other components don't use the old/updated playlist_loader API.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #78
How come many other components doesn't exploit that message then?

They happen not to be using one of the depreciated SDK features this component does. I would expect (as it also happens to foo_lastfm_radio) that in this case it is my use of playlist_loader, which is being replaced in the new SDK. Peter has indicated that the new SDK will be released before v1.0 final, and when it is I'll be able to use the new replacement feature.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #79
I have one problem though: Whenever I shut down and restart foobar 0.9.6.9, the entries in my podcatch manager as well as in the podcast playlist are gone.
Hank: Could you check your foobar2000 profile folder? You can find it from the General page of the foobar2000 preferences dialog. Is there a file called foo_podatcher_config.xml? If not can you think of any reason this might not be created, such as the folder being write protected?

You are right, the folder is write protected and doesn't have the foo_podatcher_config.xml. And I have no clue where the write protection comes from, I can't remove it - it always comes back. I'm using Windows XP by the way, if anyone has an idea...

foo_podcatcher

Reply #80
Well, about the write protection: Windows Explorer tells me it is protected. But that apparently doesn't mean much. The foobar database uses the same folder and works, as well as playback statistics. I can also create new files in that  folder. So there might be a different reason why foo_podcatcher doesn't create its config.

Moderation: Removed useless full quote of the preceding post.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #81
I see the plugin is impoving continuously, i like that. But with new features some older behaviour changed. When i create playlist for all, the newest podcasts are at the bottom. Is that intended or i messed wit something? Can i get the newest at the top of the playlist?
Ok now, while having playlist:all, when opening feed manager, the another playlist for just only one feed is created automatically. Can that creating "current" playlist can be turned off? I know it help at begining but i end up with deleting that playlist every opening of manager.
Another improvement would be option: Create playlist (selected).

Bug?: The value of dowloading podcasts speed is wrong. Ive got 128KB/s connection but value is oscillating between 11-17 kB/s in podcast downolad manager. Of course while using full speed.

Thanks for developiong that plugin, i just wanted to share my thoughts.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #82
I chose the application install folder for my configuration files instead of the user profile folder. And voilà, podcatcher works.

I do however have the reported problem with incorrect dates with some podcasts. Doesn't bother me much.

Thanks for the component and for the advice!

Cheers,

Hank

foo_podcatcher

Reply #83
Hey! Thank you so much for your contribution to foobar. I've tried foobar in the past, and it has treated me well, but I've always thought "Hm, this needs a podcast support program" and lo and behold PODCATCHER!!! Anyways, I already have podcasts on my ipod, and the new stuff I download doesn't get added to the other podcasts it just get added to the music, I was wondering if there was a way to add the podcasts I've downloaded to the rest of the podcasts? Thanks.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #84
Hey! foo_podcatcher is great! I have some suggestions for improvements: (wishlist in oder of importance to me)

1. When new rss feeds are added, the date field is filled with the date from the feed, e.g. 2009-12-20. However, once the the mp3-file for an episode has been downloaded, the value from the file seems to be used. Some podcats however only put the year in the date field and the complete date in the title. - This is annoying when one has multiple podcasts and wants to sort them according to date so as to immediately see the most recent episodes from any podcast.

My suggestion would be for foo_podcatcher to have an option to overwrite the date field in the mp3-file after downloading with the (complete) date from the rss feed. Also, consistent date notation should be ensured if different rss feeds use different date formats to allow consistent sorting.

2. It would be great to be informed with a tray-icon when new episodes are available and have finished downloading. I.e. similar to the icon used by the "Feature Watcher" component. - Nothing too distracting, just a discrete hint to take a look at your podcasts at some point...

3. Podcatcher already has the option to download only podcast newer than X days, months, etc. It would be great if a fixed no of episodes could be specified, e.g. the newest 4, so as not be dependent on the publishing frequency of the podcast.

4. When adding a new rss feed and after downloading the newest X episodes, the newest X episodes from the feed are no longer grouped with the undownloaded episodes from the feed in the grouped with UI Columns and NG Playlist. They appears as if they belonged to two different albums. E.g. one album has the downloaded album art, the "album" with the yet undownloaded episodes has no album art. - After downloading the first X episodes the album art should be applied to all (also undownloaded) episodes and they should appear grouped in one single group.

5. When adding a new rss feed, all episodes available in the rss feed are added. I would find it useful if one could specify podcatcher to only show e.g. the last 10 episodes in the playlist. - Currently it is possible to delete episodes manually from the list when it becomes too long, but it would be great to automate this.

To me, these additions would make podcatcher absolutely perfect.

Many thanks nausea for the great work!

- ubiquitousnfunky

foo_podcatcher

Reply #85
There is one thing that is slightly annoying about how foo_podcatcher works.  Some podcasts use the same filename for every clip, so podcatcher overwrites the same file again and again (and pops up a dialogue to ask for permission for overwriting).  I don't know how other podcast downloaders handle this (if they handle it at all), as I have never used any other such program.  Perhaps they rename the files using the date?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #86
Some podcasts use the same filename for every clip, so podcatcher overwrites the same file again and again (and pops up a dialogue to ask for permission for overwriting).

You can use title-formatting code in the download path, e.g. S:\Media\Podcasts\%album%\$date(%date%).%filename_ext%, and set per-feed settings if you don't want all feeds to use a particular path.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #87
Ah, OK, that's great!  Didn't notice that possibility.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #88
Versions 0.1.2 and 0.1.5 for foobar2000 v0.9.6 and the v1.0 betas respectively. Get them from the usual place: http://www.unkempt.co.uk/fb2k/foo_podcatcher.html

0.1.5 has support for new SDK features including the preferences page and UI Elements for the Default UI. Known issues for this version include the Feed Manager group headers not respecting the Default UI colour scheme and the keyboard accelerators not working. I'll look into these in due course.

I'll be offline for a week or so now, but bug reports are still welcome. I'll deal with them when I'm back. And to those who celebrate it, Merry Christmas!

foo_podcatcher

Reply #89
... but bug reports are still welcome.  ...

Ok! 
A doubleclick in download manager exactly on the text "no current downloads" causes foobar2000 to close - that doesn't happen in orher areas of download manager. Using version 0.1.5.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #90
How can we turn on the "cover art" display in the feed manager in version 0.1.5?  Has this feature been removed?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #91
For me it seems to be removed also.

Here one issue more:

Removing podcasts by contextmenu -> Podcatcher -> Remove podcasts doesn't have a direct effect: you have to reload the podcatcher playlist.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #92
A doubleclick in download manager exactly on the text "no current downloads" causes foobar2000 to close
Fixed in 0.1.5b. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote from: halabund link=msg=0 date=
How can we turn on the "cover art" display in the feed manager in version 0.1.5? Has this feature been removed?
The Podcatcher Feed Managed preferences can be accessed when "Enable Layout Editing Mode" is selected.

Quote from: q-stankovic link=msg=0 date=
Removing podcasts by contextmenu -> Podcatcher -> Remove podcasts doesn't have a direct effect: you have to reload the podcatcher playlist.
This is intentional (for now). The items are removed from database. But yes, it should be made clearer.

Thanks for the feedback.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #93
Quote from: halabund link=msg=0 date=
How can we turn on the "cover art" display in the feed manager in version 0.1.5? Has this feature been removed?
The Podcatcher Feed Managed preferences can be accessed when "Enable Layout Editing Mode" is selected.

Ah, so then this is only accessible from the Default UI, but not Columns UI?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #94
This is intentional (for now). The items are removed from database. But yes, it should be made clearer.

You mean the foo_podcatcher_config.xml? I just can't recognize the sense of making removal visible not until the next loading. 

In context of removed podcast (i guess the sense is to show only podcasts of interest) there is an annoyance:
You can only make all podcasts visible again if you update but this would ask you if you want to overwrite existing files. It seems to me that on one side foo_podcatcher isn't aware that these podcast was downloaded because of removal in database and on another side when it comes to storage on harddisc it "remembers" but still aks for overwriting. A little bit confusing, isn't it?

Edit
Idea: Maybe instead of removal from database marking "removed podcasts" inside database as invisible?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #95
Hello nausea! 

Here a behaviour that seems mysterious to me as i cannot comprehend its meaning:

1. When you load a podcatcher playlist you have a list of entries wich fields (Artist, Album and Title) are builded by following rule: Artist = <parent author>, Album = <parent title> and Title = <title>. Also there is no display of length.
When you then doubleclick a  podcast for playing the length is displayed and content of the field are changing: Artist = first part of <title>, Album = last part of <parent title> and Title = second part of <title>. Why is that?

2. As long as foobar is open the changes described above are stored: you can delete the podcatcher playlist and reload it again even. But after restart of foobar2000 all changes are forgotten: Also the displayed length is away.

Would like to ask if a) the switching of fields content could be disposed and b) the display of length be kept.

Thanks for Podcatcher!
Merry Christmas!

foo_podcatcher

Reply #96
Many thanks for the updates!

foo_podcatcher

Reply #97
Finally! Have been looking for ever for a podcast plugin. Works great!

Is there a chance you could make a panel for Columns UI? Or am I missing something?

foo_podcatcher

Reply #98
A chance for a minor improvement is making the "Open Containing Folder" context menu item work with podcasts (like with other on-disk files).  Of course it could only work with downloaded podcasts.  I would mainly use it when copying files to a portable device.

foo_podcatcher

Reply #99
Request:
It would be great to be able to sort the subscribed channels by name etc. in the podcatcher feed manager. Otherwise it becomes quite confusing when you subscribe to lots of podcasts.