Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New restriction: users cannot edit posts after 1 hour (Read 68404 times) previous topic - next topic

New restriction: users cannot edit posts after 1 hour

Reply #25
and AFAIK, there are only few that have wiki rights.

More than 200 people now and everybody else that asks.

That's more than I imagined. Then again, what is it, ~1-2% of "active" users of HA? (counted about 20% (too much?) of all registered users as "active") Interesting, thanks for the tidbit.

EDIT: page break, quotes added.

Reply #26
20% would be nearly 16,000 active members. That does sound very high. Or were you considering active to include people who occasionally read posts but do not necessarily post themselves?

Reply #27
I got about 13000 (20% of 65963), anyways, it sounds too high, though I guess I was thinking just like you wrote. 20% was mostly a feeling, sorry, not very scientific.  With 5% of active users, the wiki rights group would be (only?) ~6%. Going OT with this.

Reply #28
For comparison (and contributing to the off-topicness, but it's a relevant stat), all top 200 posters have 520 posts or more.

Reply #29
Unless I am reading it wrong, the number of members with >= 100 posts is more than one thousand. 

Reply #30
The other defensive move (which I prefer over an edit ban TBH) is when you reply to someone, quote the relevant part.

If the other person subsequently changes their original post, they look foolish.

Works consistently well across the whole net.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #31
Unfortunately you don't know when a person is going to edit his post, so this defensive move may result in a lot of unnecessary quoting.

Reply #32
Hm, I thought to post about this restriction, but it seems all I wanted to say is covered and admins don't want to backup from their positions

Anyway, I wanted to say this: prolong limit to at least 1-2 day (posted by Axon) and disable this restriction to already limited upload forum (posted by lvqcl)

Related quote from a random other thread:
Can't edit my post, so I have to make a new reply.
(additional info follows)

I see this kind of posts when new users gets surprised, as this restriction feature is nowhere to be seen. So you probably should inform users upon account creation with their rights, as after 1h they'll lose control over what they posted (from now on owned by HA inc), obviously unpopular give it away rights to change your own post

Reply #34
Even in elite forum I would like to know that I can't edit my own posts 1h after submitting - it's more like priviledged mailing list

Reply #36
Sticky in "Site Related Discussion" forum is not something regular user reads, but can be discovered as I did

Editing own posts should be considered as helpful to forum maintainers/owners and general users, as I don't see it as malicious act, which is mostly discussed here ("guilty until proven innocent"  ). On contrary, I can imagine that some posts could be more perceptible if users would not have this restriction. After all, it's clear when post is edited by appended line in that post, history of changes can be tracked at administrator side (I believe), but also even by end-user with RSS.

Is there other forum out there with this philosophy?

I don't believe much that I can change this, as I'm just a user and it's older than me, and going back to previous state is just something no one does, but IMHO it's backward step which makes more troubles than solves trouble.
Perhaps you know best

Reply #37
history of changes can be tracked at administrator side (I believe), but also even by end-user with RSS

Slightly OT, but not every post is published in RSS (when there's more than 1 post to the same topic within TTL (=5mins here)).

I like the policy and I don't think that it makes much trouble to users.. wouldn't we see more complaints in that case?

Reply #38
Your belief that a history of changes can be tracked might be at odds with reality, but I don't know the answer.  Perhaps it is not a valid excuse, but I am not an administrator.

Anyway, blame it on those who spoiled it for the rest of you by defacing the forum through petty temper-tantrums.

Reply #39
wouldn't we see more complaints in that case?

If you see it as make-up feature not present in any other forum, I guess not

Reply #40
You probably don't see so much complaints because they tend to be futile in this forum, thanks to strict moderation. 

I can live with the restriction, but I second the suggestion to allow unlimited editing on the upload forum again, so that everyone who publishes some configurations/scripts there can easily maintain a helpful first post, just like plugin developers can.

Reply #41
Jan already said that this wasn't possible.  Those who want to make changes can always PM a moderator or administrator.

Reply #42
After all, it's clear when post is edited by appended line in that post, history of changes can be tracked at administrator side (I believe), but also even by end-user with RSS.

I cannot speak specifically to this forum, but in general, most forum databases do not store a "history of changes" like MediaWiki does without being specifically modified to do so. It's just not part of the forum software paradigm. To prevent an exponentially increasing database size, only the "current" text of a given post is stored.

Reply #43
I love the feature.  The is nothing more frustrating as a moderator than a poster who retracts statements through malice or not.

The frustration of trying to repair a thread maliciously broken is self evident.  But there is also the more subtle problem of the non-malicious edit which breaks the flow of a conversation, if not context itself.  On a board where there is an expectation that users search before posting there needs to be assurance that conversations remain intact. 

This one IP Board feature alone has made me want to move Rockbox away from SMF.
Creature of habit.