Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hydrogenaudio IRC channels (Read 3674 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydrogenaudio IRC channels

Server: irc.libera.chat | Libera Chat web site
Channels: #hydrogenaudio, #foobar2000, #boomaudio

Since #hydrogenaudio is usually quiet and has fewer users, you might as well ask your questions in #foobar2000 too.

The channels have been moved from Freenode to Libera following the recent unfortunate events.
Freenode channels are still up as of now, but due to random policy changes of Freenode we might lose control over them any time for arbitrary reasons, therefore I encourage everyone to use Libera channels instead.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: Hydrogenaudio IRC channels

Reply #2
Added

Reply #3
I am personally warning everyone against using the "new" Freenode.

Apparently nick/channel registration info has been wiped, for reasons that only mr. Lee knows.
Hydrogenaudio staff NO LONGER uses Freenode. If you try to contact us there, via our well known nicks registered since early 2000s, you might end talking to some troll, but not one of us.

Reply #4
...shouldn't Discord be more attractive and user friendly? I'm all oldschool for IRC, but Discord really is good.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #5
#hydroaudio on freenode was always a very quiet channel, is that different on libera?

Reply #6
On Libera it requires to identify the nick name with services before joining the channel is allowed. Idling on this channel is a hassle. On a disconnect, I most notice it and type two command-lines to join the channel.

Reply #7
I removed the nick registration requirement for now.

Shortly after setting Libera channels up there was a flood of spam bots joining and yelling "#channelname was moved to freenode", blocking unregistered users was the only way to stop them.

Also, various IRC clients automate the process of identifying and joining channels on startup, without the need to write scripts or alike.

Reply #8
...shouldn't Discord be more attractive and user friendly? I'm all oldschool for IRC, but Discord really is good.
Right, Discord.com seems to be what everyone and their grandma uses today for a free chat server. I just checked their public servers, neither Hydrogenaudio nor foobar2000 is present there, but searching for "audio" currently finds 75 related servers. In case someone still remembers Last.fm, there is an inofficial server for that site, too, with about 6k users. Discord offers a Spotify integration as well which means you can show your currently playing track in your Discord profile, and other users can join you in listening to your music if they have a Spotify Premium account. Listening to e.g. YouTube is also possible through bots enabling this. You can also show your foobar2000 listening in your profile if you add foobar2000 as a "game" in their desktop app settings, but this does not work in their browser-based client, as far as I know. This also works for MusicBee, iTunes and Winamp/WACUP, probably for other media players as well.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #9
I'd also support a move to Discord, if not to Matrix (which has an IRC bridge).
Personally, I don't like Discord that much, but some of the non-development, non-OSS, non-OSH communities have moved on to Discord - fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look on it.
Discord has a much lower barrier to entry for not-so techy people, and it's much easier to use on a mobile device. So I guess I'd actually support perhaps not moving on to Discord, but at least have a Discord next to the IRC channel.