Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 visual appearance lacks skin system [split from topic#119676] (Read 10965 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from What motivates Peter ...

foobar2000 visual appearance lacks skin system [split from topic#119676]

Thanks a lot for making the player!

I only have 1 minor thing: I think you should spend more time on trying to make a skin system for the player which allows user created skins.
The visual appearance is the only thing that doesn't have a FANTASTIC score (all other features do!) in my humble opinion.

I said it before and I say it again:

Foobar2000 - It Really Whips ALL Llamas' Ass!

Re: foobar2000 visual appearance lacks skin system [split from topic#119676]

Reply #1
I only have 1 minor thing: I think you should spend more time on trying to make a skin system for the player which allows user created skins.
The visual appearance is the only thing that doesn't have a FANTASTIC score (all other features do!) in my humble opinion.

What are you even talking about?? https://www.deviantart.com/search?q=foobar2000

Reply #2
One may find it hard to believe these corpo days, but there was once a time when not only software but also video games were developed by people whose main motivation was to make something they want to use/play themselves.
I was about to post the same thing. I use Foobar for more than a decade now, its among my favorite software, but
I just can't get over the notepadesque interface. It would be perfect with a sleeker and darker layout - NOT a fake stereo
system with fake decks and knobs, but something simplistic and just nice to look at.

Reply #3
I was about to post the same thing. I use Foobar for more than a decade now, its among my favorite software, but
I just can't get over the notepadesque interface. It would be perfect with a sleeker and darker layout - NOT a fake stereo
system with fake decks and knobs, but something simplistic and just nice to look at.

I have no problem with the simple look but if Peter is interested, it would be awesome to have a well-documented skin system that's very user friendly, so everybody can make skins. One day winamp had a fantastic skin community.
I would LOVE to see this for foobar2000 too. It will just make the player ... a complete fantastic experience.
There could even be made a "skins" page on the website, next to the "components" page, with files that automatically install just like the components do now.

According to me, Peter is not interested because why would he not make this after so many years? Or maybe he never had time for it.
I would love to hear his opinion (if possible).

thx in advance

Reply #4
What are you even talking about?? https://www.deviantart.com/search?q=foobar2000

Agreed.
There are tons of great foobar skins. But no, he/she is obsessed with winamp skins so never stops complaining about.
I don't know what is stopping him/her to use winamp player.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #5
I have no problem with the simple look
I would be fine with this if there was at least an option to change the default white/light-grey color scheme to whatever you want,
but even that option is not provided. There are options to change less important colors like highlight/selection/etc. but not the main thing.

There are tons of great foobar skins.
I'm yet to find a good and simplistic foobar skin that:
- doesn't take the whole goddamn screen,
- doesn't remove some functionalities of the default layout,
- doesn't render some buttons/options fixed in the layout,
- is not outdated.

///
I love the simplistic "audio" feel of the iZotope products and Neutron:

(Don't get me wrong, the latter has a horrible UI - I just like how it feels)

Reply #6
- is not outdated.

Simple, learn and build it yourself. No you don't need to be able to code, just understand and learn scripting. You'll never find what you're looking for if you want something personal and specific. What JessicaJ is saying is utter nonsense. Foobar2000 itself isn't made to look flashy, but through ad-ons it has the ability to a thousand times more customizable than any media player out there. There are foobar2000 configs out there that have it making it look like itunes of spotify for those that like that sort of look.

Reply #7
just understand and learn scripting.
I don't have time to learn scripting just to change the layout of one program, also, I don't demand of anyone to design an interface
that I, personally, would find pleasing. My only request is to have an option to change the color of the window.

Reply #8
You can change colors in Preferences / Display / Default User Interface / Colors and Fonts

Chears

Reply #9
You can change colors in Preferences / Display / Default User Interface / Colors and Fonts

Chears
There is no option to change the color of the window:

Reply #10
- is not outdated.

Simple, learn and build it yourself. No you don't need to be able to code, just understand and learn scripting. You'll never find what you're looking for if you want something personal and specific. What JessicaJ is saying is utter nonsense. Foobar2000 itself isn't made to look flashy, but through ad-ons it has the ability to a thousand times more customizable than any media player out there. There are foobar2000 configs out there that have it making it look like itunes of spotify for those that like that sort of look.

haha! Learning scripting to make a skin!
And you call my perfetctly logical thinking about skins nonsense?

Reply #11
Forget deviantart, this is the best advert for foobar2000 UI customisation

You can fill that empty space with whatever you want. It's the ultimate blank canvas. Don't like the menu/status bar? Try Columns UI.

Reply #12
If you're looking for something "easy", this isn't the player for you.
I fail to see anything about Foobar that renders it less "easy" than any other player out there. It's convenient, transparent, fast and intuitive. I don't remember having any problems with it when I started using it. The UI also isn't difficult or bad - it's just ugly.

Reply #13
t's the ultimate blank canvas. Don't like the menu/status bar? Try Columns UI.
Not much of the ultimate blank canvas if you can't even fill it with the colors you like.

Reply #14
haha! Learning scripting to make a skin!
And you call my perfetctly logical thinking about skins nonsense?

Your perfectly ignorant comment. And yes, it is nonsense because it's factually totally untrue, anyone who's invested some time in learning how to work foobar2000 into they way they want it to look would know and agree. If that's funny to you then tell me, how much time and effort have you invested before you came in here proclaiming your nonsense? Did you explore all possible options? Columns UI, as mentioned her before? Or perhaps Jscript and/or spîdermonkey (more advanced)? Or just simply being creative with default UI which also can get you far? I doubt you invested anything. You just come here, say nonsense, think it's funny and that's it. Nobody here is buying that.

Reply #15
notepadesque interface
If you think foobar2000 looks like Notepad now, you should have seen it about 15 years ago. I think I took this screenshot around 2004. I did of course adjust foobar2000 to look more like actual Notepad to tease Peter, but the point is, the Notepad joke is about as old as foobar2000 itself.

Reply #16
It would be more funny if it wasn't annoying.

Some people may rush to say: But, but - BUT! - it doesn't matter how it looks if it is good!

Of course it DOES matter. Whenever I buy anything, be it a keyboard or a new stereo system, the design is also a factor. After all, chances are I will end up looking at it for years, so why not look at something aesthetically pleasing that will add to my good mood? So now imagine having a nice set of bookshelf speakers and playing music on Foobar - because that's the situation.

Since I remember people all over the internet repeat the same thing: "Foobar is good, but the interface is ridiculous". So it really puzzles me, why on earth not change that or at least give some more layout options? It's as if Peter has some bizzare fetish for obsolete looking software and he insists on keeping it that way no matter what anyone says. Okay, I can understand that, there are all kinds of strange deviations, but not even allowing to change the color just sucks. It sucks.

Reply #17
I don't know anything about coding, but I tend to believe something like this wouldn't be much of a bother for Peter (yet would add way more functionality):

Especially when you listen to music at night and want something easier on the eyes.

Reply #18
So now imagine having a nice set of bookshelf speakers and playing music on Foobar - because that's the situation.

Yeah, that's just my situation and I love it!

It's simple, if you don't like the way it looks then just don't use it.
foobar2000 is not for everyone who likes fancy looks (but it can look fancy with skins).
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #19
then just don't use it.
Achievement unlocked: post the most generic answer to any criticism (valid or not).

Worry not, should I ever decide there are more cons than pros to using Foobar I will uninstall it.

Some people like wearing cool jeans and leather boots, some go with Crocs and cargo shorts; I don't even ask for jeans, just not daddy-beige shorts please (at least surplus green). Not that there's anything wrong with the daddy look, it's just nice to have an option not to look like that.

And the mobile version of Foobar has a dark theme, which is obviously an outrage.

Reply #20
@Necroscope

There is no point to use something if you don't like the look of it. Just my opinion as just like I wouldn't wear anything I don't like how it looks.
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #21
There is no point to use something if you don't like the look of it. Just my opinion as just like I wouldn't wear anything I don't like how it looks.
Yes there is if you have no other clothes, and there's no better audio player.

Peter, it seem like you have Polish roots - as a fellow Pole I appeal to your sense of patriotism: deliver us from this interface, kurwa.

Reply #22
What is the reason people think audio player needs to be skinned? Why do you allow other software to use operating system interface elements? Or would you prefer that no software looked like the OS intended and everything has their own dark skin and look?

Reply #23
What is the reason any given application needs its own interface? Because every application may serve a different purpose (Excel, Photoshop, audio software), and yes, aesthetics are also important. One of the reasons why touch controls rendered fixed in plastic buttons obsolete is that they allowed any interface.

That said, Foobar looks quite skinned as it is (as in skinless). Also, Foobar doesn't follow Windows theme - even if you change to dark theme it stays white/grey (not that it makes sense to make global changes in order to recolor one app).

Reply #24
(but it can look fancy with skins).
That's the point: I am using foobar because of the unbelievable great look you are getting using PSS, JSP, SMP with the available samples - I am not aware of any other player looking as impressive as foobar (see attached my current Webradio preset)