Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why am I banned? (Read 12995 times) previous topic - next topic

Why am I banned?

I can't get on the site from any PC (Win 10 and Win 7) whether my VPN is on or off. True on Firefox, Chrome & Edge. I can get on via my android phone wirelessly using same router as my hardwired PCs.  I get the "Sorry, guest, you have been banned...not set to expire." error message on PCs. Been a member in good standing since 2006. Why?

Re: Why am I banned?

Reply #1
Well, your IP isn't banned, so it must be something else. Try clearing your HA cookies in the browsers and then logging in again.

Reply #2
I always browse in private mode so no cookies. And same thing happens on other browsers not in private mode. Thanks for answering.

Reply #3
PM me the IP address you are browsing from at home? Also the time you are attempting to browse.

E: Disregard that, it's logged.

E2: I see several accesses preceding that which were banned for using privacy VPN services or VPS hosted servers that had a default hostname for their provider, which is in the banned hostnames list. One of them being unknown.puregig.net.

Reply #4
PM me the IP address you are browsing from at home? Also the time you are attempting to browse.

E2: I see several accesses preceding that which were banned for using privacy VPN services or VPS hosted servers that had a default hostname for their provider, which is in the banned hostnames list. One of them being unknown.puregig.net.

Why would I be banned for life for using a VPN? Is that so uncommon? How do I get un-banned?

Reply #5

Why would I be banned for life for using a VPN? Is that so uncommon? How do I get un-banned?

Usually because a persistent spammer is using the same VPN service to hide their true IP.

Reply #6
It was a shotgun solution. It was that, or muck about reporting them to the VPN provider. Maybe I'll bother to do that, if the spam still exists in our database.

Reply #7
I am doing this on my laptop - no problem. On my desktop, I see "Sorry guest, you are banned from using this forum! This ban is not set to expire"?? Why desktop and not laptop?? How to fix this??

Reply #9
Same IP address?

Just a guess: what happens if you remove all HA cookies on your desktop?
Same IP address. What is "HA"? I am using Google Chrome on both PCs. Does this mean I have to clear all browsing data?

Reply #10
HA = HydrogenAudio.
Lossless: flac --best --verify
Lossy: opusenc --bitrate 160

Reply #12
HA = HydrogenAudio.
Is there a way to delete/remove just the HA history and not everything else in Google Chrome?

Copy and paste "chrome://settings/siteData" (without quotes) into the address bar in Chrome, then search for "hydrogenaud.io" and delete the cookies it finds.
Lossless: flac --best --verify
Lossy: opusenc --bitrate 160

Reply #13
HA = HydrogenAudio.
Is there a way to delete/remove just the HA history and not everything else in Google Chrome?

Copy and paste "chrome://settings/siteData" (without quotes) into the address bar in Chrome, then search for "hydrogenaud.io" and delete the cookies it finds.
I did that on both PCs [after closing tabs with HA open]. Opened browser on desktop to HA, still banned. Obviously, Ok here on laptop.

Reply #14
Are you using any VPN services or Tor? Note that any banned IP access will automatically cookie you as permanently banned.

Reply #15
Are you using any VPN services or Tor? Note that any banned IP access will automatically cookie you as permanently banned.
I only use VPN when file sharing, not browsing. I am confused. So, clearing my browser history, cookies, etc. will not do anything?

Reply #16
So, clearing my browser history, cookies, etc. will not do anything?
Yes it could:
Last week I used a VPN to bypass some geoblocking, and when I later surfed by HA, I got banned due to the IP. Turned off the VPN, still banned. Cleared the cookie, and here I am.

Reply #17
The VPNs probably shouldn't be banned, but instead, the abusive users reported to the VPN provider. I suppose it also depends on the VPN provider, whether they care at all that people are using their services to evade bans or post spam.

Reply #18
So, clearing my browser history, cookies, etc. will not do anything?
Yes it could:
Last week I used a VPN to bypass some geoblocking, and when I later surfed by HA, I got banned due to the IP. Turned off the VPN, still banned. Cleared the cookie, and here I am.

It seems like you cleared your entire browsing history, everything, and not just HA? I use Chrome's syncing feature so that my laptop and desktop are sharing everything. I have to make sure that everything is cleared?

Reply #20
@Porcus For whatever reason, what U suggested did not work for me. I used CCleaner and ticked "Cookies" under "Google Chrome". I am now doing this on my desktop. Wrapping my head around this fiasco:
1. I must have had my VPN running in the background and forgot about it.
2. Myself and many others get blasted - no history here taken into account. Some random IP(s) gets banned.
3. Ban is enforced by cookie(s).
4. Clearing all cookies "resets" this.
5. I am back to normal now? Did I forget anything?

Reply #21
You could try finding a more reputable VPN that doesn't get blacklisted for spamming, but if you goal is to pirate music, that is probably not what you're looking for.  You may just have to try to be more careful about logging out. 

Reply #22
You could try finding a more reputable VPN that doesn't get blacklisted for spamming, but if you goal is to pirate music, that is probably not what you're looking for.  You may just have to try to be more careful about logging out. 
Is there such a thing as a "reputable" VPN? Misdirection and encryption? They don't really strike me as such... In all seriousness though, could not anyone use any VPN to spam?

Reply #23
Is there such a thing as a "reputable" VPN? Misdirection and encryption? They don't really strike me as such...

Of course. VPNs are widely used in everything from medicine to banking to provide enhanced security.  It is just that in your case you're looking for one that won't report you to law enforcement, so they also probably sell to all sorts of spammers, crooks and so on, which is why they're blacklisted by all sorts of automatic filtering software.

Reply #24
Is there such a thing as a "reputable" VPN? Misdirection and encryption? They don't really strike me as such...

Of course. VPNs are widely used in everything from medicine to banking to provide enhanced security.  It is just that in your case you're looking for one that won't report you to law enforcement, so they also probably sell to all sorts of spammers, crooks and so on, which is why they're blacklisted by all sorts of automatic filtering software.
And, here I thought I was just trying to save $$ with my choice?