Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Handling SPC files (Read 3916 times) previous topic - next topic

Handling SPC files

I have a collection of SPC files that I want to decode to WAV (and ultimately want to go to MP3 as well). I can play them in Winamp 5 with a plug-in. I know Foobar has such a plug-in as well but, I don't think it can decode to WAVs. Plus, many that I have are infinite-running (never stop; eg. infinite loop) and I don't know exactly where the breaks are so, I'll end up adding unprecise intro/loop/end times into the Extended Information of the ID666 tags. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks very much...

Handling SPC files

Reply #1
Foo_spc defaults to 2m50s, with a 10s fade at the end, for files which are not tagged with length/fade information. It does not support editing of ID666 tags, either. Instead, it reads from them, removes them and stores the information in a new APEv2 tag. While we're setting spoony standards, why not use a decent tag format?

Also, did you know that you need to install the Diskwriter component to perform conversions from any supported input format? I bet you didn't know that. Also, unlike Winamp, the diskwriter is not an output. It is a service launched from the context menu that pops up when you select several tracks from the playlist and right click. As it should be, yes?

You can also encode directly to MP3, provided that you have an external encoder. The diskwriter should have a preset for lame.exe, I think. Check in the Preferences dialog, Components -> Diskwriter.

Handling SPC files

Reply #2
Foo_spc defaults to 2m50s, with a 10s fade at the end, for files which are not tagged with length/fade information. It does not support editing of ID666 tags, either. Instead, it reads from them, removes them and stores the information in a new APEv2 tag. While we're setting spoony standards, why not use a decent tag format?

Also, did you know that you need to install the Diskwriter component to perform conversions from any supported input format? I bet you didn't know that. Also, unlike Winamp, the diskwriter is not an output. It is a service launched from the context menu that pops up when you select several tracks from the playlist and right click. As it should be, yes?

You can also encode directly to MP3, provided that you have an external encoder. The diskwriter should have a preset for lame.exe, I think. Check in the Preferences dialog, Components -> Diskwriter.

Thanks for the help, even through I don't want to also encode to MP3 via Foobar (I'll do that later with the lame.exe+frontend, after recording what I want on to CD(s)). I just want to go to WAV. I think your first paragraph and the first half of the second gave me some information that I could use. Thanks very much...

Handling SPC files

Reply #3

OK. I have Foobar installed. Is there any way to choose what tags it uses for the file's metadata? I wasn't really looking to change every ID666 tag to APEv2, which I bet can't be read by every player that can play SPCs. I want to keep compatibility. Is there any way I can modify the ID666 tags via Foobar without using APEv2 tags?

Secondly, what if I have ID666 tags in these SPC files and I want to convert them to FLACs whilst transferring tag information? Will it automatically create new field for those which don't normally exist in Foobar, like 'Game Title:', etc.?

Thanks...

Handling SPC files

Reply #4
Secondly, what if I have ID666 tags in these SPC files and I want to convert them to FLACs whilst transferring tag information? Will it automatically create new field for those which don't normally exist in Foobar, like 'Game Title:', etc.?

Yup, all tags are copied to the new files. I don't think there is a "not normally existing" field in foobar. Every field is equal (except for the ReplayGain tags), be it TITLE or MYGRANNYLIKESTHISONE.