Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to batch encode/tag using FLACCL/CUETools? (Read 3441 times) previous topic - next topic

How to batch encode/tag using FLACCL/CUETools?

This works great on my HD6950

I'm having trouble finding a suitable batch encoder to use with it though. CUETools is great but doesn't seem suited to batch converting multiple Albums (each in separate folders), where I just want it to create the flac files (as separate tracks) in the same folder as the original WAV files. Even when I try doing a single folder, it seems determined to use the first track/filename as the name for the .cue and .accurip files, rather than the folder (Album) name.

The other batch encoders I've looked at so far don't seem to be able to use an external encoder. I also need something that will tag the flacs as well, presumably from the filenames (Artist - Title) as I don't think WAV can store tags can it?

I'm rather confused about tags as well to be honest, as I spent a while tagging some Albums with MediaMonkey, only to later use foobar and found that as far as it was concerned, the WAV files hadn't been tagged at all. Also, after converting some WAVs to FLACs with CueTools, I scanned the folder with MediaMonkey and it showed tags (only Track - Artist - Title, not the other fields that Media Monkey shows are filled for the WAVs) for the FLAC files (which I assume it must have got from the filenames if the WAVs don't contain tags) but then checking with MP3Tag, it showed the FLACs had no tags and I had to add them manually, so I don't know if Media Monkey is scanning the FLACs and extracting the information from the filenames and storing it in it's own proprietary database but not writing it to any form of tag within the file.

Reply #1
it seems determined to use the first track/filename as the name for the .cue and .accurip files, rather than the folder (Album) name.

You should change your output template. Seems you're using %filename%.cue and wav files without a CUE. This will cause CUETools to use the name of the first input file (which is the name of the first wav). If you have more questions on this you should start a new topic. This has nothing to do with FLACCL.
korth

Reply #2
Can anyone recommend a good tool for doing batch conversions with FLACCL? I need something that will just create the FLACs in the original folders, so that I can select multiple folders, or a parent and have it convert everything in the sub-dirs and ideally something that will also tag them, as much as possible (probably only Artist - Title as I don't think WAVs can store tags can they?) The batch converters I've found so far don't seem to be able to use FLACCL

CUETools is great for what it does but doesn't seem designed to cope with multiple folders and even when I do a single folder (into tracks) it creates the .cue and .accurip file with the name of the first track, rather than the folder (Album) name. It does somehow seem to manage to tag the FLACs with track number, artist and title though, which I presume it's getting from the filename.

Reply #3
it seems determined to use the first track/filename as the name for the .cue and .accurip files, rather than the folder (Album) name.

You should change your output template. Seems you're using %filename%.cue and wav files without a CUE. This will cause CUETools to use the name of the first input file (which is the name of the first wav). If you have more questions on this you should start a new topic. This has nothing to do with FLACCL.

How is a question about what programs I can use FLACCL with "nothing to do with FLACCL"?

EDIT: I thought my original post had been lost as I couldn't see it on the original thread anymore, so reposted it there. It seems that this board doesn't automatically subscribe me to threads I post in, nor does it have e-mail notification of subscribed topics on by default. I've changed the latter now but I'll have to try and remember to manually subscribe to threads I post in to ensure I get notified about them in future.

Reply #4
I use flacCL with good old Frontah.

Download Frontah v.0.92 beta2 from the web and copy the files i mention 2 posts above into its folder.
Under Settings->Tagging you can define the logic for tagging by file/folder name.
Add following lines into frontah_script.ini
Code: [Select]
[flacCL]
IconLarge       = CL32.bmp
IconSmall       = CL16.bmp
CustomDesc      = Additional parameters:
CustomLine      = --verify
CustomLine0     = --cpu-threads 3 --verify -b 4096
LongDesc        = flacCL encoder
Menu            = Lossless\flacCL
N0Cmd0          = CUETools.flacCL.cmd.exe -%x %k -o '%o' '%i'
N0InExt         = .wav
N0OutExt        = .flac
N1Cmd0          = CUETools.flacCL.cmd.exe -%x %k -o '%o' -
N1InExt         = .wav
N1OutExt        = .flac
N1StdIn         = 1
ShortDesc       = flacCL
StatusText      = Encoding
TrackbarDefault = 5
TrackbarMax     = 8
TrackbarMin     = 0
TrackbarText    = -%x

This may be old fashioned but works nicely not only for flacCL

Edit: You should copy flac.exe and metaflac.exe in its folder also
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #5
Thanks Wombat, that seems to be working well

Reply #6
Your welcome! I use it also as frontend for sox and other commandline tools.
Since this thread was rearranged i should add a link to the files that i mention as being above.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=841247
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!