Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux program to scan for replaygain? (Read 8049 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux program to scan for replaygain?

Hi! Does anybody know a script that can go through my music collection and apply album replaygain based on the album tags and add them to a FLAC tag (for FLAC) or ID3v2 tags (for MP3). Only requirement is that they're ID3v2.4 for MP3 and must also be able to be used by Quod Libet.

Thanks for any help. Also I'd have to be able to apply to single albums so I can apply replaygain to them once I've ripped them.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #1
I only know "metaflac --add-replay-gain *.flac" where *.flac must only match the tracks that you want to group into an album.

from metaflac --help:

Code: [Select]
--add-replay-gain     Calculates the title and album gains/peaks of the given
                      FLAC files as if all the files were part of one album,
                      then stores them in the VORBIS_COMMENT block.  The tags
                      are the same as those used by vorbisgain.  Existing
                      ReplayGain tags will be replaced.  If only one FLAC file
                      is given, the album and title gains will be the same.
                      Since this operation requires two passes, it is always
                      executed last, after all other operations have been
                      completed and written to disk.  All FLAC files specified
                      must have the same resolution, sample rate, and number
                      of channels.  The sample rate must be one of 8, 11.025,
                      12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz.

As for a script I think "find" with the -execdir command could be used to use metflac on all files in a directory.

There is also normalize-audio for MP3 but that uses RVA2 frames in id3v2. Quod Libet supports this, though. Actually only this, not ReplyGain itself.

Reply #2
It's easy with foobar2000:

1. Load all of your music into the playlist.
2. Select all songs (Ctrl+A)
3. Right click -> ReplayGain -> "Scan Selection as Albums (by tags)"

This works across all codecs and tag schemes supported by foobar, which is pretty much everything.

Reply #3
It's easy with foobar2000:

1. Load all of your music into the playlist.
2. Select all songs (Ctrl+A)
3. Right click -> ReplayGain -> "Scan Selection as Albums (by tags)"

This works across all codecs and tag schemes supported by foobar, which is pretty much everything.

Yes, I'll do that with the excellent foobar2000 for linux!

Could people please start reading thread titles?
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #5
Was something in my initial reply not satisfactory? Please help me improve my answerif that is the case.

...Just Elliott was referring to the reply he quoted from slks.

Reply #6
IIRC foobar2000 works with Wine although it isn't native Linux app.

Reply #7
IIRC foobar2000 works with Wine although it isn't native Linux app.

it does fine.

Reply #8
Only for tagging, that is. There's no guarantee the audio will work properly (equally there's no guarantee that it won't..!)

Reply #10
I once came across this one here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=26073 which apparently does what you're after. Haven't tried myself though.

That's a script for Amarok, that uses mp3gain, metaflac, aacgain, vorbisgain, etc. Nothing you can't do from the CLI.

I'm pretty sure he wants actual replaygain tags for mp3s, not mp3gained files.

As far as I know, there is no way to apply replaygain to mp3s in Linux, without using mp3gain.

Reply #11

I once came across this one here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=26073 which apparently does what you're after. Haven't tried myself though.

That's a script for Amarok, that uses mp3gain, metaflac, aacgain, vorbisgain, etc. Nothing you can't do from the CLI.

Yes, but at times you may want to reduse amount of typing or automate things. That's when such scripts come in  handy, no?

> I'm pretty sure he wants actual replaygain tags for mp3s, not mp3gained files.
> As far as I know, there is no way to apply replaygain to mp3s in Linux, without using mp3gain.

Dunno about mp3gain. Wasn't there an option to only write values to tag?

Reply #12
Well if you use mp3gain without options it will put nice replaygain tags instead of directly changing mp3 gain. But Quod Libet wants ID3v2.4...

BTW: Foobar2000 0.8.3 works fine with wine, but you want id3v2.4, so use the latest one as a replaygain scanner.
She is waiting in the air

Reply #13
oops I was unaware mp3gain could do anything without changing the actual file