Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC: R Click>Properties>Edit ID-Tag (Read 3775 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC: R Click>Properties>Edit ID-Tag

I'm a novice using dBpoweramp 13.4 and foobar2000 v1.0.2.1.  I have purchased/downloaded dozens of FLAC albums and ripped/filed my own commercial CDs without incident until today.

I purchased an album from a small label.  Foobar's Properties Metadata box returned a morass of question marks and scrambled information (as did the Playlist: Library Viewer Selection box).  I went through each FLAC (song) file by file, and engaged the Edit ID-Tag button with the little dBpoweramp ID icon by it.  I even went to the record label site and tracked down an image of the album cover which I added to each FLAC file.  So far, everything seems to look OK and play just fine.  Two questions:

1.  Did I possibly invoke ID3 tags?  I've read multiple posts about confusion between ID3 Tags and proper FLAC Tags.
2.  Is their a faster way than what I did, going file by file?  For instance, could one of the services I'm subscribed to via dBpoweramp look up the album and take care of the data entry en masse?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

FLAC: R Click>Properties>Edit ID-Tag

Reply #1
FLAC files use their own native tag format (vorbis comment); so there is no need to add additional ID3 tags that usually are found in MP3 files. It is regarded "best practice" just to use FLAC's native tag format and remove all others (ID3v1, ID3v2 or APE) in case there are any (I think dbPoweramp shows what kind of tags an audio file has).

And may I suggest my favourite tagging tool, mp3tag?
This is an excellent freeware application from www.mp3tag.de and despite it's name it can read/write all kind of audio files and their tags. It supports a wide range of web services to get collect audio tags and is very flexible! Give it a try...

.sundance.