Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Tagging in Foobar v2.0 [x64] (Read 519 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Tagging in Foobar v2.0 [x64]

Other software used: MP3 Diags 1.5.01, MP3tag v3.20, Picard 2.8.5
Safe mode was on for all tests.

I'm having issues writing MP3 tags in Foobar. Please bear with me as my technical knowledge is slim.

An MP3 with 2 tag values is usually more than enough for a match in Picard. These values are MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID and MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID.

In MP3tag, I can add these tags manually via "View>Extended Tags". Once added, MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID becomes invisible in both Foobar and MP3 Diags - my assumption is this tag is housed under ID3V1.1. However, MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID remains visible in MP3 Diags under ID3V2.3.0 with a subheading of TXXX. In Foobar, the tag appears without underscores and an extra space, like so: MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID.

Saving these values in MP3tag allows Picard to link the proper MusicBrainz release and populate remaining metadata. Applying these same tags via Foobar's Properties window does not. When applied in Foobar, both tag values are saved under the TXXX subheading of ID3V2.3.0. Here's where things get interesting; in Foobar, using a specific case styling allows this tag to function in Picard and return metadata; this styling is as follows: MusicBrainz Album Id. Using a similar method with MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID has no effect.

My current settings under "Advanced>Tagging" are attached. This could well be user error/misunderstanding, but I have recollections of using this workflow in the past without issue.

Re: MP3 Tagging in Foobar v2.0 [x64]

Reply #1
fb2k can only handle plain text frames. MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID is a binary UFID frame and is not supported.

This 16 year old thread describes the issue and nothing has changed since then.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,50509.0.html