Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem with "standard" folder in (Apple) "Files" in iOS  (Read 1316 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with "standard" folder in (Apple) "Files" in iOS

Hello! Couple days ago I install "foobar2000" and little bit test the program (if i like it or not) and in "Files" app I put some folders with music to main folder automatically created by "foobar2000" (I checked if I could listen to music like that, just download and put to folder) and it's working.
BUT after i delete (all) that folders with music IN main "foobar2000" folder (and than I delete in "Recently deleted" (Trash)) — the "foobar2000" folder is disappear.
I reinstall the "foobar2000" but it doesn't help There is no more folder.
Please help!

iPhone 7 Plus iOS 15.7.5

Re: Problem with "standard" folder in (Apple) "Files" in iOS

Reply #1
What happens if you download a file? Does it recreate the foobar2000 folder?

Reply #2
What happens if you download a file? Does it recreate the foobar2000 folder?

What You mean in download? How? If You mean share a song to foobar2000 — I can't because there is no foobar2000 in iOS "share menu"

Reply #3
I sympathize because, the same as you, I recently installed the iOS app and was puzzled because I saw the empty foobar2000 Music Folder and I'm thinking, how do I populate it? I did get it to work, but I'm not sure if my approach is going to work for you, so....

Let me ask you: can you currently play any music at all in the app? Do you have anything in your iTunes music library on your device? When you say that you "put some folders with music" to the main folder, where did they come from? Are they on a Media Server?

Reply #4
I sympathize because, the same as you, I recently installed the iOS app and was puzzled because I saw the empty foobar2000 Music Folder and I'm thinking, how do I populate it? I did get it to work, but I'm not sure if my approach is going to work for you, so....

Let me ask you: can you currently play any music at all in the app? Do you have anything in your iTunes music library on your device? When you say that you "put some folders with music" to the main folder, where did they come from? Are they on a Media Server?
p.s. When I say "where did they come from," I mean where do they reside; how did you transfer them? I am asking this because I am trying to figure out how to replicate for you the solution that worked for me.

Reply #5

p.s. When I say "where did they come from," I mean where do they reside; how did you transfer them? I am asking this because I am trying to figure out how to replicate for you the solution that worked for me.

I created a folder (in the "Files" app from Apple) in which there were 19 songs - and I moved this folder to foobar2000 (to listen to these songs via the foobar2000) - went to foobar2000 to see if it would work and after I was sure it would work, I moved three more folders (which contained music but I can't remember how many in each (but I hope this is not important)) to foobar2000 and opened foobar2000 again. Some time passed, I listened to music and simultaneously adjusted the settings to my liking (not every point/setting I understood but that's not the point).
Next, I opened "Files" and went into the folder that created by foobar2000 and deleted all four folders with music (I didn't delete the folder foobar2000 itself (because you can't delete it manually - only if you delete the foobar2000 application)) and then I went into "Recently Deleted" (this is like a trash can) and completely deleted those 4 folders) after I noticed that the foobar2000 folder disappeared.

Yes I have music in itunes (I moved it through the computer a long time ago) can play.

P.S. When I wrote this "explanation" I tried to move some folders and noticed that the folder foobar2000 is there! I moved one song there and now the main folder it shows up! but when I delete a file (i.e. clean the foobar2000 folder completely) and exit it, it disappears again.

Now. the problem is (i don't understand it's a bug or no) — If the foobar2000 folder is empty, it will not be displayed in the main menu (or folder list or whatever it is called), but when you select a file and click on "move", it is in the pop-up menu.

Nevertheless, thank you for responding!

Reply #6
OK sounds good. The way I do it is, I have my music library on a server that shows up under Media Servers. I choose Media Servers and navigate to the list of folders. I press and hold on the folder I want, the option comes up to Download, and I click on that. This adds the folder to the foobar2000 Music Folder. (This is for the purpose of having the files local on my phone, so I don't have to connect to my computer.)

It is also possible to go into iTunes, in Library, press and hold on an album, click Download. Then go back into the foobar2000 app and the tracks are there; you can find them under Album (etc.). If I understand correctly, they are in the iPod Library, not the foobar2000 Music Library; they don't show up as subfolders of the foobar2000 Music Library, but can still be played by the app.

If someone more knowledgeable than me is reading this, please feel free to jump in and correct me on anything. I only discovered all this today. I am wondering whether it is also OK to transfer files "directly" into the foobar2000 folder (e.g. using FileBrowser and/or Files), or if that messes things up from the standpoint of the app and it is better to use Download.

Anyway, hope you got everything to work. If not, I'm still willing to help if I can, but I don't know the answer to the last problem/question that you posed!

Reply #7
While not speaking with any authority, I think you've hit some of the requirements/limitations of iOS.  Apple is (rightly, but often inconveniently) very tight on rights management, and limits what apps are allowed to do with shared data.  At one time, it would not have been possible for different apps to see each other's data at all.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.