Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stupid Tag "problem" (Read 2536 times) previous topic - next topic

Stupid Tag "problem"

I have used a separate tag "%subtitle%" to tell things like if a song is "live" or "demo" or whatever. This idea came probably from Last.FM as I didn't want it to separate remixes etc. to different songs. Now I've begun to worry it wasn't such a great idea. I obviously configured Foobar easily to show this info but what about every other audio players? Especially the once for Android. Any tips would be appreciated. 

Stupid Tag "problem"

Reply #1
That depends on the file format, which determines the type of tag, which may support one or both of predetermined (e.g. ID3 frames) or arbitrary (e.g. “FieldName=LOLTAGZ”, such as any APEv2 field and those stored in the ID3v2 frame TXXX) fields.

If I were to make an assumption, I would speculate that you are referring to MP3 files, in which the subtitle would be stored in the ID3v2 frame TIT3 (1). If that is the case, whether or not you can display it in another player depends simply on whether said player supports that frame. In the case of arbitrary fields, ideally one could configure their player to display any they chose.

Both of those being said, in reality (AFAIK), many players only support a handful of common values. So, you may be out of luck, short of automagically transposing your subtitles back into the main title field (e.g. I use “Track Title [version info]”) in order to view them in other players.