Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple Column Sorting in Windows Media Player Plus (Read 4666 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Column Sorting in Windows Media Player Plus

Is there anyway I can sort my song library by 2 or more columns in WMP using your extension?

I find it hugely frustrating that I can sort by Genre, for example, but only to find the song names listed within each Genre are random and unsorted.

In MediaMonkey you do this by holding the CTRL key down while clicking columns headings. Something like this in WMP would be a godsend.

Reply #2
Sorry?

Windows media Player Plus.

Reply #3
I’ll edit your title to include this vital info. Please don’t expect people to be able to guess things.

For reference, the dedicated thread for said extension is here. Questions might be answered more quickly there, but I defer to Tim to state whether or not he prefers everything being kept in one place.

Reply #4
Yes, please post in the official WMP Plus thread next time so I get notified immediately. I usually notice these loose threads far too late (like now) or even not at all.

I find it hugely frustrating that I can sort by Genre, for example, but only to find the song names listed within each Genre are random and unsorted.

I just sorted my WMP library by Genre and all songs within the same genre were nicely sorted by Contributing Artist. This was WMP 11 on XP. Which version of WMP/Windows are you using?

Reply #5
So if I wanted them sorted by Genre and Song Title they would, as I reported, be random, being sorted, as you report they are, by artist within genre.

Two column sorting, sort by x within y, seems a pretty basic requirement to me and I find it frustrating that Windows Media Player doesn't do this.

Taking what you say, by song title within artist name would be useful, no?

Reply #6
You can already tell WMP to sort your library by 2 (or more) columns by creating an auto playlist. So if you would want to sort by artist first and then by song title, you would create an auto playlist with the following criteria:
  • Sort by Contributing Artist Ascending order
  • Sort by Title Ascending order