Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: alternate (custom) settings to -normal (psytel 2.12) (Read 3778 times) previous topic - next topic

alternate (custom) settings to -normal (psytel 2.12)

i'm wondering which settings other people use for psytel aac (but i'd like to know ;-)

-br 160 -vbrhi -c 20000 -low_ath -ihsc

is it good / bad / better or worse than -normal?

files seem to be smaller than with normal setting but i don't need the higher cutoff rate. i don't have ears like a bat.

i'm just a user and not an expert, so i don't want to play around with 'hidden switches' if i don't have to.

currently i'm just looking for best setting which shouldn't go over 200 bitrate. between 150 and 200 would be nice. (-extreme is a bit too high for most of the songs).

thanks for your comments.

Reply #1
I use "-vbrhi -ihsc -safems" which I (and some of my friends) find quite good... Produces bitrates between 150 to 180 kbit/s.. Though in some rare occations, it can produce bitrates as low as 80 kbit/s (short single channel encodings) and up to 215 kbit/s (only reached this high with a couple of techno/trance songs)...

I´ll do some thorough testing once I get hold of some better listening equipment... My current $20 Sony head phones are quite bad... They make 96kbit --alt-preset Lame encodings sound the same as the original CD:s... :/ Hehe...

But I´m not an expert either... I just use what seems to be good...  Perhaps the presets are the best?

Reply #2
thanks for your answer.

i remember ivan posted that the presets should provide the best results. however, i like to experiment with new settings.

i'm now using -br 160 -vbrhi -ishc -low_ath -safe_ms.

which bitrate are you using? (-br?)
i think it has quite an influence (base bitrate).

i hope other people will post their settings, too.
would be quite interesting what other people believe sounds good.

ps: does aacenc crash on some files on your system too?
i had to restart encoding several times, but it happens only with some, and i don't think it depends on the settings (it's the same with -normal preset). dos window just quits with 'abnormal program' error (don't know what it is in english).

Reply #3
Originally posted by Dark Shadow
thanks for your answer.

i remember ivan posted that the presets should provide the best results. however, i like to experiment with new settings.

i'm now using -br 160 -vbrhi -ishc -low_ath -safe_ms.

which bitrate are you using? (-br?)
i think it has quite an influence (base bitrate).

i hope other people will post their settings, too.
would be quite interesting what other people believe sounds good.

ps: does aacenc crash on some files on your system too?
i had to restart encoding several times, but it happens only with some, and i don't think it depends on the settings (it's the same with -normal preset). dos window just quits with 'abnormal program' error (don't know what it is in english).
1. I´m not using -br at all... I let -vbrhi decide the most suitable bitrate... Works just fine for me...
2. No it doesn´t crash... Some older versions does but ever since the corrected version 2.12 was released, it has been dead stable...

What OS and version of PsyTEL AACEnc are you using?

Reply #4
ad 1) in readme.txt or somewhere else i found that standard bitrate is 128, so your standard bitrate is 128 i guess (i don't think -vbrhi does make any decision for standard bitrates).

ad 2) it could  be that (maybe) the wav's are corrupt. i compressed them with a beta/alpha version of monkey's lossless encoder some time ago. i had some difficulties decompressing them.

after some time thinking, i decided that -normal should still give the best results, but files get larger than with my custom -br 160 settings.

i've also seen on this forum that ivan recommended not to use -safems without a profile. i'd like to know if this is still the case with the latest version (2.15). guess only ivan can answer this.