Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for an mass flac to lossy encoder that will embed artwork (Read 5030 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for an mass flac to lossy encoder that will embed artwork

I'm looking for a solution to encode albums stored as flac+cue files + folder.jpg to either itunes/FHG m4a, lame mp3, or ogg vorbis that will have the folder.jpg embedded into the outputted files.

I'd hoped that foobar2000 would work out for me, but alas, it doesn't support artwork embedding (only copy [artwork].jpg to target directory.

Next up I tried Cuetools with a x64 lame build (3.99) which works, but is pretty slow due to only encoding 1 file at a time.

Then I thought about dbpoweramp, but it doesn't work with flac+cue files.

Any suggestions as to alternative frontends or multithreaded external exe encoders to use with Cuetools? I'd love a solution for foobar

Thanks

Reply #1
I'm looking for a solution to encode albums stored as flac+cue files + folder.jpg to either itunes/FHG m4a, lame mp3, or ogg vorbis that will have the folder.jpg embedded into the outputted files.

I'd hoped that foobar2000 would work out for me, but alas, it doesn't support artwork embedding (only copy [artwork].jpg to target directory.

Next up I tried Cuetools with a x64 lame build (3.99) which works, but is pretty slow due to only encoding 1 file at a time.

Then I thought about dbpoweramp, but it doesn't work with flac+cue files.

Any suggestions as to alternative frontends or multithreaded external exe encoders to use with Cuetools? I'd love a solution for foobar

Thanks

Foobar 2000 with qaac configured as an external encoder will do what you seek, at least for .m4a.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=85135

Reply #2
Foobar 2000 with qaac configured as an external encoder will do what you seek, at least for .m4a.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=85135

You say 'as an external encoder'. Well, that's what using qaac.exe is, right? My current foobar qaac settings:

Code: [Select]
Encoder file: C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\qaac.exe
extension: m4a
parameters: -V 91 -q2 --no-optimize -o %d -

Could you enlighten me on how to have qaac embed the album art using qaac?

Thanks

Reply #4
Did you search the given link using the term artwork?  Your question is definitely answered there.

Thanks Greynol. I missed that (searching too quickly for 'album art' and too tired).

However, after some extensive testing, I don't find the solution usable. Qaac --artwork option requires the target directory to contain the artwork. If foobar could move the folder.jpg before the encoding started, well that would be fantastic. Having tried the 'copy other files to destination folder'  option in foobar, not all files receive the art work embedded.

Reply #5
the latest beta of foobar2000 supports the copying of embedded art from source to destination. you'll see an option transfer attached pictures in the converter dialog.

Reply #6
the latest beta of foobar2000 supports the copying of embedded art from source to destination. you'll see an option transfer attached pictures in the converter dialog.

@Marc. Nice find, thank you. A massive thanks to the foobar2000 team for implementing this.

Confirmed working in foobar2000_v1.2.5_beta_3 converting to m4a, both fhgaacenc and qaac (without needing qaac's artwork tag)

Ticking this option embeds the artwork that exists in the flac files. Although it doesn't make use of the folder.jpg that's in the source directory, retaining the embedded artwork over to the converted file is just awesome.

Reply #7
A massive thanks to the foobar2000 team for implementing this.

When I read about this last Sunday, it made my day  Many thanks to the foobar2000 devs from me as well!

Reply #8
Another good removed feature would be to access the converter settings without adding music

Reply #9
A massive thanks to the foobar2000 team for implementing this.

When I read about this last Sunday, it made my day  Many thanks to the foobar2000 devs from me as well!

I think I spoke too soon - hopefully it's just a small bug with the beta (just updated to beta v1.2.5 beta3 today).

If you are encoding from 1 file per track,  and the track has artwork embedded, it works. My initial test was for speed, and my source was 1 track with embedded artwork. Having now tried with a flac+cue (1 file per album which contains the embedded art) it fails.

Well, this is early days and at least today we finally have the ability to retain embedded artwork (per track) in foobar

@eahm - I so second that