Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: some more linux stuff to talk about... (Read 3178 times) previous topic - next topic

some more linux stuff to talk about...

tsup people...

i am in the process of "selecting" a linux distrobution, but am having some problems finding good reviews/discussions/phorums with in-depth information on individual distrobutions...

i tried mandrake 8.1 and the 8.2 betas, but i didn't like the candy coated appearance and slow behavior...and it was pretty buggy in compiling additional packages, oh well.

i am looking for debian or a debian based distro and am having some difficulty norrowing the distros to just one.  i have heard of progeny, caldera, xandros, libranet and debian [surprise, surprise] and throw these questions out here in hopes of some help...

why not just buy/download them all? <--you may ask
i have a 56k @ 4kb/s! <--my answer

things i am looking for:
. easy[er] gui for install/partition/updates/etc.
. stability, not bleeding edge
. use for video/audio playback and encode, word processing, and internet...thats basically it
. 2.4 kernel / gnome

other great distros to recommend or comments or some direction to venture in would be appreciated...

thanx

some more linux stuff to talk about...

Reply #1
[deleted]