Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets (foo_facets) (Read 778399 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #175
Is there anywhere I can download a previous version of facets? I haven't received a response in regards to this new last modified sorting bug and I really cannot use facets this way. Thanks in advance.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #176
Doesn't this component's Filter feature annihilate reason for autoplaylists in playlist manager?
Well IMHO it does. Now I have only 3 playlists - one as for COM server playground and other for radio stations. I imagine users with different needs, but still I would shamelessly ask for feature:

Please allow feature "reference to current playing track" based on foobar title formatting scheme, similar to what "Library Tree" component offers as "now playing", probably as a part of "library | playlist" dropdown menu. For example I'd reference Genre or Style or any tag field to be rendered in facet relative to current playing track

I tried at least

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #177
Please allow feature "reference to current playing track" based on foobar title formatting scheme, similar to what "Library Tree" component offers as "now playing", probably as a part of "library | playlist" dropdown menu. For example I'd reference Genre or Style or any tag field to be rendered in facet relative to current playing track

I intended to wait before i make/repeat the following request but now you gave the catchword. I think it would be even more amazing to have a third source "selection" beside "library" and "playlist" that would then let facets act not only like but fully as a selection info viewer. It would offer all what you like but would be placable in a tab stack with other viewers of that kind and following the global option for its preference: prefer playing track or prefer selection. The amazing aspect of the latter would be to browse the library in a unrivaled way. So far only Helium Music Manager  offers a very limited and not configurable way of that kind of browsing. F.e. i am browsing in a normal facet layout the artists and in facet as selection info viewer i could display other artist of the same label/publisher and its albums.

Here the more extensive request and thoughts (not specifically related to facets component) how multiple selections (that naturally would be made in normal facets) could be handled: Klick!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #178
Hello Frank,

i am very aware of it that i already must have caught enough attention concerning my requests about library viewers. To my excuse i have to say that all my repetitions - which are cycling around the same basic idea and already earned me the legitimate reproach for cultivating his own pet ideas - leastwise was spread over a long period of several years and are varying creatively so that i hopefully don't stand out as a nag.

The new facets is so far a brilliant library viewer and comes very close to my wishes and needs. However, i would like to try my last attempt of phrasing some probably well known but also  adapted  thoughts from which i believe i can give good reasons for. This attempt includes the assurance that i will note that at least the whole world has noticed what i dream to have and hence shut up forever although my pet idea certainly never should become an ideal pet which i can caress.

After all i have 4 points and i should mention that the order of the points is not at random but #3 and #4 are each basing upon and requiring the former ones. That also means that each previous point stands for its own and isn't calling the next one.

1. Multiple views
Surely some users don't need more than a few views and probably there will be some that only need one simple genre-artist-album layout. Otherwise it is not a rarity that some of us including myself appreciate a high number of views. Especially facets with all its (statistic) columns gives the opportunity to create very detailed views. In the current implementation of facets each with loving work created view means its own tab whereas the album list offers a dropdown box for globally stored views. It is obvious that therefore the DUI explodes and some senseful actions are not possible like changing a view while having a filter enabled or a query filled in the search bar. That leads to the request to have the opportunity to define multiple views in layout editing mode and to save them with pretty names which are available in a dropdown box. Since in such a manner in contrast to album list the views would be defined/saved locally one criterion for creating multiple tabs with facets could be the organization of different groups of views. As already said: I am talking about a high number. (Another criterion is going to be explained in the next point). Nevertheless who doesn't need an organisation of views isn't forced anymore to create multiple tabs for multiple views but can realize them in just one tab.

2. Locally acting filters
Since i stopped using playlist tree many years ago i always was dreaming about saving queries with a meaningful name and calling them inside a library viewer. At least for me that is an essential feature to manage my library by having quick access to different subsets of it. So much thanks that you now have implemented the filter feature. I don't like autoplaylist realizing that purpose for three reasons: 1. the more you have the more resources are spended on foobar2000 start-up or library update, 2. you just have a simple list of tracks rather than a detailed view for browsing and 3. hundreds of autoplaylists displayed in playlist manager or even more in playlist tabs are not manageable anymore. Now the latter disadvantage continues to be in the new facets filter functionality because the filters are stored globally and a huge number of filters results in a menu which is just as well badly manageable. To cut a long story short: definition of filters locally for each facet layout rather than globally for all layouts. My dream deals with several tabs each with further subtabs that contain special filters.

3. A combination of #1&#2: binding of filters and views
IMO it seems obvious that each filter calls for a proper view: it is pointless to browse f.e. "Psytrance from the 90's" in a genre-artist-album layout - more senseful for me is a lable-year-artist-album layout. Assigning a filter in its preferences to a special view is just about convenience which nevertheless should have its religibility but also a necessity in regard to the upcoming fourth point.

4. Viewing the context of selection/playing track
As already phrased in my previous post it would be amazing to let facets act  as a selection info viewer that  shows the context  of playing track/(even multiple) selection: that would be an unrivaled way of displaying information and browsing. A filter like "All albums of artist" needs a proper view which then has to be automatically choosen from the defined ones.

END
I think the taxonomy of my thoughts is recognizeable. Please don't confuse the points with concrete requests - it is more a systematic order of my thougts in adaption to current facets.

Thanks for reading such a long post!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #179
Beta 4 seems to crash foobar when I use the file ops component. It seems to do something to the filter. Earlier today I used file ops and it messed with the filter, some things that shouldn't have been visible were, and vice-versa. But just now it caused foobar to crash. There was a message saying "pure virtual function call". The foobar window was still visible and I could see that the filter wasn't working properly then either. It didn't leave a crash report though.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #180
you fixed the last modified statistic bug in the very next version! thank you sooo much!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #181
I'm new here so I'll just try my best to explain what my problem is.

I created my playlists and when I play one of them, it plays normally.

I didn't like how the Album List looked like so I downloaded foo facets to add more options and stuff. And we all know that facets works in a way that when you click an artist / genre / album or whatever, it sends it to a "Library selection" playlist so you can play it. My problem is this: when I play a playlist I created it stays there but after some time (sometimes instantly), the cursor moves to the "Library selection" which is kinda annoying.

Is there anyway around this or is it just me?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.. but since this is the support forum, I thought it would be the most sensible place to post this.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #182
Hello Frank,

the new facets has introduced some meta_branch-functions for special purpose. I would like to ask for a feature that goes a little bit further and could display mapped information inside multiple tags. Something userfriendly without complex title formatting.

Here for information what i mean:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=53111&hl=

(I don't mean writing of real mapped tags like COMM or TXXX, just some displaying of musician or instrument column of a performer tag f.e. ; another scenario from a current thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=761508)

edit: reordering of links

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #183
Since updating from 1.0 beta 4 to 1.0 beta 5, typing in the search field is very sluggish. It leads to high CPU usage of up to 100% on multi-core systems.

Too bad I can't revert back to beta 4. Search is hardly usable anymore.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #184
Thanks for the update. I was hoping for some changes regarding single/double click though, along with quite a few other people in here.

Many people prefer no immediate action when selecting something in facets – but now with middle click gone the problem is the lack of double click options. Right now we are stuck with "send to current playlist" with which I have accidentally overwritten I don't know how many playlists.

If "send to selection playlist (keep playing playlist)" could be added to the double click options - or if any other solution could be implemented that lets one browse the library in facets (and use the facets playlist) without updating the playlist viewer all the time it'd much appreciated.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #186
Can you add some screenshots pls?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #187
How does one make a screen shot of no immediate action?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #188
Beta 6 restores double-click and middle-click options from the old version:

Additionally, you can hold shift to start playback when selecting a context menu command.

Keyboard shortcut handling has changed like in SimPlaylist, with the exception that album art views reserve left and right keys for selection purposes.

When my play order is set to shuffle and I double click on a facet selection (for instance, artist) it always begins by playing the first song within that selection. The next song and thereafter is shuffled. If the first song played could be shuffled as well when that is the play order selected, that would be great.

Interesting idea, please test if it works as expected.

I have a request for an extra filter: one that only shows the highest bitrate of a song when multiple versions are available (as I wouldn't know how to do this in the current editor). Because I need to sync my library to an iphone I have created m4a versions of my flac files and when I select an album (or song) I get both versions when sending the facets selection to a playlist.

Sorry, but I don't have the motivation to implement this. This is somewhat off-topic, but I think keeping different encodes should be avoided. It is just too much work to keep the tags and so on synchronized. Are modern CPUs not fast enough to convert files as you transfer them? You might want to look into other solutions. For example, the iPod manager component can automatically convert unsupported audio formats.

Please forgive me if this question has already been answered. I am having some sorting issues with Facets. In the Artist list, I would like to have "Weird Al" Yankovic (with quotes) to be with the rest of the W's. Right now, it is at the very top of the list.

Album list uses the same order. However, it has been requested to add a user-defined list of prefixes to ignore when sorting, where you could add a double quote. This won't make it into 1.0 though.

(...) when you click an artist / genre / album or whatever, it sends it to a "Library selection" playlist so you can play it. My problem is this: when I play a playlist I created it stays there but after some time (sometimes instantly), the cursor moves to the "Library selection" which is kinda annoying.

Thanks for the report, the selection playlist should no longer be activated without user interaction.

Since updating from 1.0 beta 4 to 1.0 beta 5, typing in the search field is very sluggish. It leads to high CPU usage of up to 100% on multi-core systems.

Too bad I can't revert back to beta 4. Search is hardly usable anymore.

Searching should be back to normal, thank you.

Can you add some screenshots pls?

To the components site and documentation? Yes, that is planned. I just did not want to create them all in advance in case things change during beta. In the meantime, there is the Default UI gallery where users can show their own screenshots.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #189
I managed to find a workaround for hidden toolbar in window mode:
- change to Default User Interface
- add Facets to layout, and make sure toolbar is visible
- export .fth from preferences
- change to Columns UI
- display Facets window
- right click on top (above columns header) and choose import...
-  you have the toolbar back (and you have to reconfigure facets)

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #190
Hi Guys and Frank!
I am newbie as user of foo facets but find it very useful and cool. Thx for the great add-on!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #191
Hi Frank,

first of all, thank you for excellent work on Facets. Never had a problem with it and it made managing my collection so much easier.
Yesterday I upgraded to Beta 6 and for some reasons, Facets causes reproducible crashes on my system. The error report points to Facets and I have sent you the crash dumps.

This is what I do:
I add some files (which are not in my library) to my default playlist from the Windows Explorer, highlight the files in the playlist, select 'File Operations' and move them to my library.
The files are successfully moved to the library and then foobar crashes. When I restart the program it crashes again.
When I remove the newly added folder manually from the library and then restart foobar, it does not crash.

Any ideas as to why this keeps happening? I haven't changed the file operations in ages and it worked perfectly until moving to Beta 6.

EDIT:
Seems you figured it out.
Problem is gone with Beta 7. Thanks a lot, kind sir! 

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #192
Thank you for the update. Especially the single/middle/double click changes are most appreciated. Perfect component is perfect.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #193
Hi there,
I've been messing around with Foobar trying to add a Facets tab to my Tab Stack but can't seem to figure out how - is it even possible?  Is there a way to insert a Facet into my Columns UI layout?
All I actually want is a reverse order Date window, so that I can keep track of all my newest music - can I add a "Recently Added" tab or something?
Any help much appreciated.
-StuPC

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #194
facets is default UI only. 

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #196
A few things I noticed since the stable pre-1.0 release:

At startup, Facets takes over a second to load the library and fill the columns. The older release would load pretty much instantly.

With smooth scrolling turned off in Windows 7, Facets will still smooth scroll when you use the mouse wheel.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #197

With smooth scrolling turned off in Windows 7, Facets will still smooth scroll when you use the mouse wheel.

Yup, noticed this too. Pretty annoying for people like me whole like pinpoint accuracy scrollery 

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #198

At startup, Facets takes over a second to load the library and fill the columns. The older release would load pretty much instantly.

I want to report the opposite. Since foobar 1.0 the old facets took well over 10 (!) seconds to load for me, now it only takes one or two seconds.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #199
I want to report the opposite. Since foobar 1.0 the old facets took well over 10 (!) seconds to load for me, now it only takes one or two seconds.

same here - new foo_facets is much faster on my 500+ GB library (nearly instant)
0.9.5 could hang for half a minute