Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets (foo_facets) (Read 778406 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #625
I have a pane on the left with Artists. In the middle, I have albums with sort by Album and Date. And, on the right is where all the tracks are displayed.
I just notice something while sorting and browsing by Album name in the middle pane. If there is more than one album with the same name, "Greatest Hits" [for example], in the same year, the album art is blank. It seems as if all the album with same name in the same year are grouped together. If you look at "Properties" for my above example, you will see "multiple values" all over the place.

Is there some way to configure this so that all these albums will be displayed separately?

Hi, maybe it is not what you need but have you tried to add another column on the Albums pane with Artists album? You just add it and then make it disappear taking it to the left or the right so the albums will be sorted by Album artist but actually you will not see the category. I think that this is was what I did. Look on the image. I just took it to the right so the only column left it is Album.

The album with no cover it is because I am still retagging my library after iTunes and I just finished with Vangelis ;D.

Yes, the avatar it is the cover of «The City» by Vangelis.

Reply #626
When I use facets as part of my regular configuration, I can add as many panes as I want. But when I open it up as my library viewer (library tab at top > facets), it opens up 3 panes by default, and I don't see any way to add more. I know I can have multiple columns displayed in one pane, but I would like to have 4 separate panes in the facets library viewer. Is there a way to do this?

Reply #627
@Chigo:
You can open the facets window, right click on the toolbar area (on the 'Library' or 'Filter' text) and tick layout editing mode. Then you can add new panes as usual after clicking on the newly appeared 'Layout editing mode' button. You could also import existing preset by right clicking on the window's header and choosing the corresponding option.

Reply #628
Thanks Daeron. I see now that it explains that right in the facets wiki. Sorry for not doing better research before posting  :D

Reply #629
Thanks for a brilliant plugin. To wishlist: pie (or other type) chart building?
I wrote about here.

Reply #630
Hi folks,

Just a note - I use Power Mixer for Windows for volume control. It is able to respond to the mouse scroll wheel, but for some reason when it is loaded it prevents Facets from zooming using Ctrl+Scroll. Just FYI in case anyone else runs into this.

Reply #631
If not is there any alternative that does cache album art, that has the album art in a grid format like this?

There is a WSH panel mod script.
http://www.deviantart.com/art/JS-Smooth-Br...-1201-562804257

Beautiful. Thank you. And thanks to Br3tt for making it.

New link: http://br3tt.deviantart.com/art/JS-Smooth-Browser-571376160

However what I did some time ago was still with Facets
(I love Facets+Simplaylist+Simplaylist Manager for what they allow):
- copy my music folder structure but with only with the requested albumart in it (with a python script because they did not all have the same name, or else it would have been easier) and store in in a small local SSD drive
- give this new address for the albumart instead of the album folder, and if the file isn't there, check the regular address.

And it works very well, provided not to much pictures are missing.

Many thanks to all the developpers in and around Foobar!!!

Reply #632
Hi all, I'm new to Foobar and Facets.
I have about 2000 albums mostly MP3 & FLAC, all fully tagged (by Picard and LastFM plugin)
Using Foobar 1.3.14 and Facets 1.0.

I have a problem, some of my albums are missing from the Facets library view.
For example, I have the following folders (each folder for one album):
E:\Music\Hip Hop\Immortal Technique\Immortal Technique - (2001) Revolutionary Vol. 1 [FLAC]
E:\Music\Hip Hop\Immortal Technique\Immortal Technique - (2003) Revolutionary Vol. 2 [MP3]
E:\Music\Hip Hop\Immortal Technique\Immortal Technique - (2008) The 3rd World [MP3]
E:\Music\Hip Hop\Immortal Technique\Immortal Technique - (2011) Middle Passage [MP3]
E:\Music\Hip Hop\Immortal Technique\Immortal Technique - (2011) The Martyr [MP3]

In Facets I see only one album - Immortal Technique - (2001) Revolutionary Vol. 1 [FLAC]
It show only FLAC albums and not the MP3, even if an artist has a folder with only MP3 albums.

Foobar Album list viewer sees all albums.
I tried deleting all the filters in the preferences, but they reappear after I close foobar and run it again. I tried choosing the lossy filter and it didn't work (it showed only 8 albums, I have more than 1000 in MP3), I tried toggling the enable option in the "filter" drop down, still no help there.
What am I missing?

Reply #633
Is this element still being developed? I would love to see an update that makes alternate row coloring optional, and that allows for the scroll bar to be hidden.

Sending to "Selection playlist" just some of the "windows".

Reply #634
Hi. There is a way of sending to "Selection playlist" just some of the "windows" and not all of them. For example, I have windows for Genre, Albums, and Tracklist and down that three "selection playlist". When I select a Genre all the albums on that genre go to "Selection playlist" and "Tracklist"—on the last case showing all the tracks of the albums of that genre. If I select an Album all the tracks of the album go to "Tracklist" and "Selection playlist".

So what I want it is: select a GENRE —all the tracks to "Selection playlist— then ALBUM and in that case that only "Tracklist" change, leaving all the albums of the genre on the "Selection playlist" "without change".

I sort of arrived at it changing to NONE Selection action on Facets but the thing is that doing that prevent GENRE of showing on "selection playlist" although it appears on "Tracks" I mean, the tracklist change on that column but "selection playlist" has no change so I have to do a playlist for every genre I want to play.

Regards.
Yes, the avatar it is the cover of «The City» by Vangelis.

Reply #635
is it possible to filter multiple artists like:

ARTIST HAS (Bruce Springsteen OR Yanni OR Deep Purple)

something simple like that? (obviously that specifically isn't working)

when i want to filter multiple artists i have to do it the long way: ARTIST HAS Bruce Springsteen OR ARTIST HAS Yanni OR ARTIST HAS Deep Purple, etc

Reply #636
Yes, that works. I have for example a filter:

%genre% IS rock OR %genre% IS folkrock OR %genre% IS Eigenes Zeug OR %genre% IS Island OR %genre% IS Ital./Franz. OR %genre% IS Klassik OR %genre% IS Deutsch OR %genre% IS Krautrock OR %genre% IS Sampler OR %genre% IS Podcasts  OR %genre% IS Soundtracks

Reply #637

%genre% IS rock OR %genre% IS folkrock OR %genre% IS Eigenes Zeug OR %genre% IS Island OR %genre% IS Ital./Franz. OR %genre% IS Klassik OR %genre% IS Deutsch OR %genre% IS Krautrock OR %genre% IS Sampler OR %genre% IS Podcasts  OR %genre% IS Soundtracks

Right, I know that would work, but I was wondering if it was possible to shorten it using parentheses like:

Code: [Select]
%genre% IS (rock OR folkrock OR Eigenes Zeug OR Island)

so that you don't have to repeatedly type '%genre%'

Reply #638

Right, I know that would work, but I was wondering if it was possible to shorten it using parentheses like:

%genre% IS (rock OR folkrock OR Eigenes Zeug OR Island)

so that you don't have to repeatedly type '%genre%'
Instead of typing this long code why don't you use Facets itself ?
Select all the generes you want (by ctrl-click on each one) and then use the context-menu (right-click) to create a facet autoplaylist.

Reply #639
There's a bug that I think is caused by facets: when a facet has an item selected, opening a file through File / Open... will start playing the Library Selection playlist. If the Library Selection playlist was selected prior to opening the file, the opened file is lost. If another playlist was selected, the opened file is added to it but the Library Selection playlist steals focus and starts playing.

Reply #640
Can somebody please help me with regards to sort patterns in Facets?

I have set Facets to show the playlist and display album covers only. This frame is laid across the bottom of the Foobar window and is used to complement the main SimPlaylist frame, which displays more detail. The idea, beyond aesthetics, was to provide a quick reference for the playlist contents. Unfortunately this isn't working quite as intended as the Facets window is organising the albums alphabetically, rather than displaying them as per the order set within the playlist.

Can anybody help me by letting me know how to either disable sorting for this Facets frame or what the variables are needed to tell it to 'sort' as per the playlist order?

I have attached an image of my setup just in case the text isn't clear.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Reply #641
The column patters are thoroughly explained in the wiki, however: I've got albums with different years for different titles. Is there a way foobar displays the album as a whole and lists the different years in the respective column and row instead of splitting it in several items? This isn't really a multivalue field is it?

Reply #642
Does anybody know if there is a way to save and load lay out presets?

Thanks.

Reply #643
The only was i know is creating autoplaylists with facets. They are editable too.
LG Frank

Feature request: ability to create presets saving different lay outs

Reply #644
I was talking about a way to save a lay out configuration: number of panes, settings for each pane, source, filter, action.

I find that I use different lay outs for different tasks (choosing what to listen to, starting from different tags;
managing the files tagging; clean up; find same but differently tagged things; and so on) so it's quite tedious
having to change the number of panes and their settings and/or the toolbar settings too.

I'd love to be able to save a different lay out for each of the different tasks mentioned above
and, maybe through a drop down box, being able to load one with just a click.

Thanks

Reply #645
ah I understand. I wish for a long time a reset button that will completely reset the facets to nothing or to a custom state (for example, all marked with rating 5).

What you want I have solved this way: I simply created several facets on tabs. For songs, for albums, audiobooks ...

https://youtu.be/lgzFoK33MTY

Reply #646
I'm on Columns UI so I only have the pop up window.

Thanks.

Reply #647
First, big thanks to developer for the brilliant plugin. In Foobar, I use it as minimum in 50% of the time. But as my music database expands, less and less, because of no time delay after typing the first letter in the search field. So plus 1 vote for this feature suggestion.

Or, as a workaround, will be nice to use some %title% HAS <string> OR %comment% HAS <string> expression in the predefined filters. I mean, exactly the word <string> (or anything such this); and when I fill the search field, the <string> get it value. Example: I type in "morning", and if this predefined filter is switched on, the search will: %title% HAS morning OR %comment% HAS morning.

Of course, I can manually write the whole search expression into the search field. But some time I want to use other type searches, too, and I lose the typed in expression. (Yes, the other nice thing will be a simple or a customizable drop-down list of last searches. It will be a workaround for my starting suggestion, too.)

Reply #648
[I am not sure if this is specific to Facets] Example: I have two albums titled, "Greatest Hits", one by Neil Young and one by Guns N Roses, both released in 2004. In album view, instead of having two separate entries for each album, I have one entry with all tracks for both albums listed together. i.e. Track 1, Track 1, Track 2, Track 2, etc. What to do? Is this a matter of settings?
EDIT: 1. I am using v1.4 Final
2. If I browse by each artist, each album is displayed separately.

Reply #649
[I am not sure if this is specific to Facets] Example: I have two albums titled, "Greatest Hits", one by Neil Young and one by Guns N Roses, both released in 2004. In album view, instead of having two separate entries for each album, I have one entry with all tracks for both albums listed together. i.e. Track 1, Track 1, Track 2, Track 2, etc. What to do? Is this a matter of settings?
Foobar can only work with the info you provide, so you need to give it more info to differentiate the two albums. You can do so by adding extra tags and/or changing column formatting. To give credit where it is due, @Porcus had some great suggestions in this thread.

Firstly you might as well add a %path_sort% to the 'Default Sort Order' under Facets preferences. That should stop track numbers being listed 1,1,2,2 etc, and instead 1,2,3 etc. For example -
%date%|$stripprefix(%album%)|$stripprefix(%album artist%)|%path_sort%[|%discnumber%]|%tracknumber%|$stripprefix(%title%)

This might not entirely solve the problem however, so...

Method #1. I might suggest this would be a good use of ALBUMSORTORDER tag. You could add the tag giving one album a different name for sorting operations (right-click one album name to select all tracks > Properties > Tools > Add new field > 'Single Value' tab)

Field name : ALBUMSORTORDER
Single value : Greatest Hits ¹

Then reference it in Facets (right-click Album column > Columns > Preferences > change the pattern for Album or make a new one)

$if(%albumsortorder%,%albumsortorder%,%album%)

EDIT: I'm actually not sure now if it should be ALBUMSORT here or ALBUMSORTORDER here - so go with the latter foobar doc.

(I have not tested this by the way, and I'm not certain if superscript numbers are sorted numerically like normal numbers, nor how other media players might interpret the tag)

The advantage here, if you have multiple releases of the same album with same tags, it should group them individually while you can still use the correctly named %album% tag (without sorting number) for display in playlist viewers.

Method #2. Apart from or in addition that, some people tag albums with a disc ID or %catalognumber%, which you could append to the end of the Album pattern, if you like how that looks.

['['%publisher%[ %catalognumber%]']']

Or instead you could make the above a new 'Catalog' column, and add it as a multiple column to the Album view (right-click Album column > Columns > enable Multiple Columns > right-click > Columns > Catalog) - a neat Facets feature! ;)

Method #3. Aside from all the above, a simple way discovered in the aforementioned thread, you could add an invisible "Zero Width Space" character to the end of one album name. The font you use for foobar 'Lists/Playlists' would need to support it, otherwise you would see a square box instead. Follow that link and click the "Fonts that support" page to check such.

To use the character, click "Browser Test Page" on that link, at the end you'll see a text box with "Input Test" next to it - copy and paste the contents of this box to the end of your album title. The album should then have a different name for foobar sorting even though it looks exactly the same.

(This is perhaps a bit risky as no one except you will know there is an invisible character there, but a quick way to fix one album, so whatever).

Cheers 8)