Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio Unit inside layout txt (Read 2583 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio Unit inside layout txt

Hi @Peter

It's very cool that with the new preview version, we can add audio unit inside layout now. But it seems the embedded AU is unconnected with the AU of same name in the active DSP chain? They're two separate instances. As opposed to View > DSP > plugin-name, which actually shows the plugin that is in the DSP chain.

Second, changing things in the embedded AU has no effect on the sound. Is this intended to be for visual (readout) only?

Third, the changelog mentions >>Added "Visualize with Audio Unit"<< What does this do? Is this in the settings somewhere? I cannot find it.

Thanks for the cool work you are doing

Re: Audio Unit inside layout txt

Reply #1
Followup:

I found  "Visualize with Audio Unit". It's under View menu > Visualizations. Sorry about that.

A small bug with embedded AU: it does not remember the preset I chose. It always reverts to the default on app restart.

Reply #2
General problem with Audio Units or VSTs inside foobar2000 is that you can either visualize accurately (feed live audio being heard) or control settings and feed audio being processed by this instance of the AU/VST (choppy/lagged performance of AU/VST that shows audio being played).
I just added (build 2024-07-04) a separate, probably more useful mode: add mode=control to the layout line - audio data being fed isn't synchronized with playback but changes in AU settings are applied to current DSP configuration.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #3
General problem with Audio Units or VSTs inside foobar2000 is that you can either visualize accurately (feed live audio being heard) or control settings and feed audio being processed by this instance of the AU/VST (choppy/lagged performance of AU/VST that shows audio being played).
I just added (build 2024-07-04) a separate, probably more useful mode: add mode=control to the layout line - audio data being fed isn't synchronized with playback but changes in AU settings are applied to current DSP configuration.

This is nice. There's a small bug in that the embedded AU sometimes forgets its size and I have to resize it and the panel that contains it.

AU aside, there's an odd bug. This AU-free layout

Code: [Select]
splitter vertical style=thin
 splitter horizontal style=thin
  tabs position=top
   splitter horizontal style=thin tab-name="Playlists"
    playlist-picker
    albumart type="front cover"
   albumlist tab-name="Library"
   splitter horizontal style=thin tab-name="Info"
    selection-properties sections="General"
    console mode=lite
  refacets
   playlist
   playback-controls

has playback-controls on the right side of a vertical split. This causes the left pane to resize itself to take up half the window no matter how you move the splitter.

OTOTH this layout

Code: [Select]
 splitter vertical style=thin
    tabs position=top
     splitter horizontal style=thin tab-name="Playlists"
      playlist-picker
      albumart type="front cover"
     albumlist tab-name="Library"
     splitter horizontal style=thin tab-name="Info"
      selection-properties sections="General"
      console mode=lite
   refacets
   playlist
 playback-controls

which is almost identical but puts the playback-controls at the bottom and lets it take up the whole width of the window, is ok. It's as if having playback-controls this way properly constrains the left pane.

I think this bug was fixed one or two previews ago and regressed with the 2024-07-08 version

Reply #4
Where does one find a guide to the syntax used in the layout editor?