Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DivX 5.2 released (Read 27638 times) previous topic - next topic

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #25
If you really hate adware (I do), you should consider XviD. Better quality if you config it correctly. BTW XviD interface is a lot better and easier to understand since 1.0.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why? DivX 5.2 has no adware in any bundle
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226440"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh my mistake.  Sorry

You know, I have been DivX user since version 3, I have try pre 1.0 XviD 2 or more time but swithch back to DivX bacuase at that time XviD is not mature enough and the interface was varied version by version and they always seems to have something broken every release. But after they reach 1.0 most thing is work great, the quality of encoded video is just great.

Now I use XviD exclusively even on small 128kbps mobile phone video (mp4 in 3gp flavor). XviD video is superior than those of mpegable PVAuthor and Quicktime. (even I have to mux xvid stream into .3gp manually with the commandline tools)

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #26
or switch to Xvid *shrugs*

Why *shrugs* ?

I was under the impression that Xvid is a very competitive codec...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226406"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The *shrugs* was meant to say I'm undecided on whether to switch to Xvid or not.  It does have quite a lot of options which I'm not familiar with.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=226415"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i guess i didn't THOROUGHLY test Divx5, but i did a 1CD of The Cell with Divx5 and a 1.0RC of Xvid that i COULD compare, and the main thing that bugged me was the blockiness of the edge between two colors, IE the sand dune and blue sky. totally fugly in Divx5, but not present in Xvid. i think i even tried different decoders, decoding both with the same decoder.

all in all, i'm totally sold on Xvid. it even blew my mind further when i realized that with different mpeg matricies i could get near, if not almost identical performance at extremely low bitrates comperable to VP6 which can do low bitrates out of the box.

the only thing you really need to worry about is Motion Search Precision. VHQ doesn't to a terrible lot for you (mainly just gives you a smaller rip by a meg or five on a 1CD encode). there's a reason certain "scenes" have completely switched to Xvid 

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #27
I also switched from DivX 5.11 to XviD 1.0x - and I'll never go back

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #29
@plonk420, fileman:

We talk about DivX 5.2 in this thread. Don't spam it with your experiences with older versions or other codecs.

Give 5.2 a try and then report your new experiences.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #30
I'd be interested to know whether there has been any speed tweaks in 5.2.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #31
There's a bad mistake on DivX's website. When buying DivX pro, entering your billing information, you are required to choose a state/province, but only  US states are listed, and it's a *required field.

DivX 5.2 released

Reply #32
I don't know why this codec makes my Zoom Player 4 Pro hang everytime I go to the next track or just stop the video. Do you guys also have this problem?