Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Reason for rescanning library file tags (Read 2679 times) previous topic - next topic

Reason for rescanning library file tags

Do I understand correctly that in foobar2000 v1.6.2 the audio file tags are re-scanned and updated in the library only if the date of the audio file change has changed? That is, if the tags were changed without changing the file date, the data for these files in the library will not be updated. Is there a way to force the library to update while ignoring the modified date? Or, better, compare the checksum of the current version of the audio file with the checksum at the time the data was added to the library.

Re: Reason for rescanning library file tags

Reply #2
Shift+click "Library" and select "Rescan folders"
Or without mouse:  Alt+Shift+L and then r.
Of course, I've tried manually updating the library. Here is an example of a file, the data for which after updating the library does not match the valid one. And there are many of them. The differences apply to different fields.

Reply #3
Have you tried [hold shift key] > right-click tracks > Tagging > 'Reload info from files' ?

Reply #4
Have you tried [hold shift key] > right-click tracks > Tagging > 'Reload info from files'?
Thank you, the data in the library has been updated. But I have over 40,000 files in my library. When I come across badly written tags, I fix them using the application I have chosen for this purpose long ago. How to achieve the same (correct) update of the foobar2000' library, but in automatic mode?

Reply #5
I'm not aware of an automatic way for this situation, if you are keeping file modified dates the same.

I'm not sure how it could be implemented, either - how would foobar know the track has changed if not by the date? Perhaps a question for Peter (?)

Reply #7
Are you proposing that Foobar should calculate a checksum for every file in the libary on startup? That would be a slow process, even for just the start/end portions containing tags. The program may just reload all tags while at it instead. There isn't a checksum stored in the file system.

Reply #8
Unless you're using one of many Unixish filesystems, or possibly WinRT, in which case there should be an integrity checksum exposed. Well, exposed to the OS in the case of WinRT, or Linux or BSD in the case of things like Btrfs or ZFS. Good luck exposing that information to a user mode program in Windows, though, especially over a Samba file share or whatever.

Reply #9
Unless you're using one of many Unixish filesystems (...)
NTFS:
Quote from: Richard Russon, Yuval Fledel
Table 3.41. $UsnJrnl source info flags
Flag: 0x02
Description: The operation adds a private data stream to a file or directory. An example might be a virus detector adding checksum information. As the virus detector modifies the item, the system generates USN records. USN_SOURCE_AUXILIARY_DATA (0x02) indicates that the modifications did not change the application data.
Can this be used as an optional feature?

Reply #10
Only if you want to write a stream to every file the media library scans. And that particular attribute will only work for local files. Oh, and it won't be updated if something else writes to the files, rendering it pointless.