Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hang on quit (Read 1754 times) previous topic - next topic

Hang on quit

Can anyone help me track down a frequent hang on close/quit issue? (1.6.6 win10)

The difficulty is the problem is irregular.
e.g. I've tried open FB and only play songs on shuffle (no other activity) and close it after 10-15 plays. Sometimes it hangs and other times it will close properly.

Previously I suspected SpiderMonkeyPanel as the issue seemed to go away after the last SMP update, but it's still there and very annoying as I lose my session play statistics everytime it happens.

I'm currently trying to isolate a lock with Process Monitor, but this is what I got from ProcessExplorer on the last hang.

Code: [Select]
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x5aa6
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x1422
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0xab4
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x255
ntoskrnl.exe!KeGetProcessorNumberFromIndex+0xfc7
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x34b8
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x16fa
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0xab4
ntoskrnl.exe!KeDelayExecutionThread+0x4c0
ntoskrnl.exe!SeReleaseSubjectContext+0x14ef
ntoskrnl.exe!_setjmpex+0x7b58
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x544
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x421
wow64cpu.dll!BTCpuSimulate+0x9
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x26a
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x127
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x17b
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x63
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
0x0000000000000000

Re: Hang on quit

Reply #1
Well I'd try a portable layout with all your normal components except SMP and see how you get on. Or maybe see if there is a newer version than what you already have. You might consider the dev version but that carries it own risks.

Or before shutting down, hold shift and click File>Save configuration. I think playback stats are written if you do that.

Reply #2
Or before shutting down, hold shift and click File>Save configuration. I think playback stats are written if you do that.

Good tip! hope that's the case

Reply #6
I just checked and that's how it's supposed to work. If you browse your profile folder, there will be a folder named index-data and this is where files generated by foo_playcount and other components that utilise the same functionality from the foobar2000 SDK for writing their own track related info.

If you open foobar and let it play, the timestamps on these files show they are never written to until foobar shuts down - or you use that menu command I mentioned. It works for me because I don't have any components causing this hang.

Reply #7
I just checked and that's how it's supposed to work. If you browse your profile folder, there will be a folder named index-data

I see the folder and there are 5 files in it from the last saved session. Do you know if I need to do a "Reset Configuration" after I restart again?

Reply #8
No. I was simply pointing out where the data files for components like foo_playcount live and the fact they don't get updated during a normal foobar session even when your playcount data changes. It takes a clean shutdown (or executing that menu command successfully) for them to be written correctly. Components have no control over that - it's all handled internally by fb2k itself.

If you tested a clean portable install with just foo_playcount installed, you'd see what I mean.

Clearly something is interfering with that process and I've already posted my thoughts on what you should do.

Reply #9
@mjm716 I've checked the dump and it doesn't seem like SMP is the culprit (not that it can't be though).
Main thread is stuck in foo_uie_lyrics3 plugin. So you might want to start with that and then continue removing plugins one by one till you find the culprit.

Reply #11
Specifically stuck in foo_uie_lyrics3.dll on_playback_stop() handler, if that's of any help.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #12
Thanks Peter.
Yes that component seems to be the source of a couple different problems I was having - no hangs since disabling it and FB footprint dropped almost 500K.   :o