Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Is it

Cool
[ 3 ] (25%)
Not cool
[ 6 ] (50%)
Not even warm
[ 3 ] (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 2017-01-03 08:33:50

Topic: By screenshot, is this a cool jukebox program, or not a cool jukebox program (Read 123882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: By screenshot, is this a cool jukebox program, or not a cool jukebox program

Reply #26
Man is that garish. I prefer plain/clean looks like iTunes.

I admit I had to look up garish.  OK.

BTW, version is 20.10.21 now.

I've already shown enough pictures around here so instead of yet-another-pic, read about it at the store.  You won't find iTunes there.  I'm not even sure they still do iTunes. 

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9mwlm64kmd3n

I'm not thrilled about posting a link like that here, but I've posted enough pictures for a while.  There are 10 pictures in there, and a lot to read if you like to know more.  There's even an overly-compressed video (click on the kid), but not too bad in getting the idea.

We'll I'll be, iTunes is there

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/itunes/9pb2mz1zmb1s

That's almost funny.  That it's there.  As for "garish".  Hm.  I think I see an example of garish now.
BANNED

Re: By screenshot, is this a cool jukebox program, or not a cool jukebox program

Reply #27
A new version, numbered as 21.12.5

What's different?  It's better than before.  What else?  The store link above has what there is to tell (too much for here).

The store website has gone lo-fi on screenshot quality, and screenshots are absent entirely from the main store since at least July 2021, so for the original PNGs:

https://40th.com/jb/

Not quite five years old - this topic - but getting there.  Where were you way back then?
BANNED

Reply #28
Here I am to offer some constructive feedback.

The functions of the app look good, I can't think of anything else I'd want from a media player really.

It's hands down the worst looking thing I've seen in the modern era of PC apps. Flashing, blinking lights, fake VU meters, HUGE buttons, small text scattered all over the place. It looks like a real mess to my eyes. I think you need a professional HMI guy.

Reply #29
It's hands down the worst looking thing I've seen in the modern era of PC apps.
My second LOL today on HA!  Thanks.

Reply #30
It's not made for the kids, Nate.

The VUs are not fake.  I presume you are basing your comment on the video trailer.  It's a few years old.  One day I may update that.  Not today

The buttons are as big as they need to be; the content scales with size (the screenshot attached is one screen capture, two instances, one full screen the other small -- this is one capture; two instances are running; I don't know if you know what that means).

If you look back about 5 years ago, one person (I think even the first reply) said the same about the buttons.  You can read my reply to him.

Here I am to offer some constructive feedback.

And?  Here's the thing.  Anyone with a decent setup can hear the difference.  It's very easy to use, too.  Keyboard only, sure.  Touch only, sure.  Mouse, yeah.  If you like scrambling around looking for how to do things (it's nuts how difficult and complex players are to use like JR), there are other players.  If you like slow-performing things, there are other players (one player, MB, rips CDs -- sure -- but at 4-6x; Jukebox 2112 rips outer-zone tracks at more than 40X.  And updates the super-accurate VUs and scopes, and freq. bars (well) at 60 FPS @ 4K _WHILE_ playing FH4 at 4K @ 60 FPS, without either having an effect on the other.  Try it this time instead of watching a trailer.

Hey, Apesbrain!  I' m watching you!  No, not really, but thanks for entering this topic.  Not too sure about that handle of yours, though.

Keep 'em coming.  But kids, don't you have better things to do?  J/K.  No, not.

BANNED

Reply #31
Not bad, but the visualization and transport are too large while the playlist/lyrics fonts are too small, hope the UI can be customized.
Looks like I made a change there.  Attached is a picture with what I would call plenty-big-enough tracklist fonts (and the lyrics are 80% the size of this setting; big-enough).  As for viz-2-big, nah.  I like it so I can see it.  Tip to readers: if you see small viz and think that's normal -- it's only normal because that program can't do it at a reasonable size.  Most players you see today were designed decades ago and use obsolete APIs to render.  Jukebox is using the new stuff.
BANNED

Reply #33
Playback control buttons larger than the album art. That's a hard no from me.
There is a link right up there to look at 10 pics.  I know it's the internet and a 10-second attention span is the norm, but come on.  But I do thank you for giving it a hip-shot.

Also can zoom/pan that image, and save it.  Super-smooth, slick, yada-yada.  32 images per track.  If you think that's nuts, ... there's a link right up there (below, too) to look at 10 pics.

A new version, numbered as 21.12.5 ...so for the original PNGs:

https://40th.com/jb/

BANNED

Reply #34
You are right to criticise me for me being terribly lazy. I was focusing on the words of the actual thread title and just happened to look at the most recent post without checking the entire thread.

Still, it's very much not to my taste and something I'd never have any interest in.

Reply #35

I am sorry but it looks a mess to me.
Also why is this still in the the polls section?
When it costs $40, it seems more a advertising thread than a poll.

Reply #36
Hey, Apesbrain!  I' m watching you!  No, not really, but thanks for entering this topic.  Not too sure about that handle of yours, though.
I'm sorry for piling on, but you open yourself up to it by charging real money for this.  Fact is, your approach to foobar2000 and mine (see below) couldn't be more different.  Good luck!

Reply #37
Oh lord! A thread like this should've been killed at birth before it bred, so high cringing levels on it have been.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #38
If you like scrambling around looking for how to do things (it's nuts how difficult and complex players are to use like JR), there are other players.
I'm not sure how you can say that without laughing you've pretty much described your own software, just check out your settings window. I did actually play around with the trial version but it's just so clunky to use. It seems you've managed to add extra steps to things that should only be one step e,g, left clicking the column headers to sort the playlist, nope need to right click and then choose the option. I found it using more resources (CPU and RAM) than my normal player. You double click some where you shouldn't and boom the player window either maximises or restores, I'm sure this will be good fun with a touch screen. Resizing the window when tracks are in the playlist is jerky. Removing multiple items from the playlist was a chore, why can't i just use the shift and mouse to select and press delete to remove, i need to untick them first and jump through a couple right click menus to remove them. Why so many different fonts? God knows how you actually rip a CD with it? I'm sure theirs more but i just couldn't persist anymore with it.

For price of $50.60NZD I would rather go back to the Foobar2000 notepad days, actually even further back to Sonique than go anywhere near this again.

For my use case it's simply "Not cool"
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #39

Maybe we should have a poll on whether to nuke this thread? ;D

Reply #40
I'm not sure how you can say that without laughing you've pretty much described your own software
...or another ill-fated design of the 1990s, for that matter:

Though I'm sure this one can also play "La Cucaracha" when requested, the latter had the added bonus of being “powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding, like a Nerf ball.”
União e reconstrução

Reply #41

For price of $50.60NZD I would rather go back to the Foobar2000 notepad days, actually even further back to Sonique than go anywhere near this again.
I remember CoolPlayer
Is there a website of old audio players anywhere?

Reply #42

I remember CoolPlayer
Is there a website of old audio players anywhere?

https://www.rarewares.org/rrw/programs.php
You can find some old players at the bottom.

Edit: About your music player. I personally think it is a bit cluttered. I prefer simple interface. Here's how my foobar2000 looks like.

gold plated toslink fan

Reply #43
Every time I see the name of this topic I recall this song:   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VimZXxz18SI

(simply because of its name, have no idea about its lyrics, my English isn't that good)

Reply #44
So much attention with so much complaining.  I think you protest too much!  I know it's easy to use (settings are a one-time thing -- and then still the settings are very compartmentalized/one place for one task -- then it's the buttons on the main screen).  Can't handle a right-click?  (Wow!)  Say I want to turn off all DSPs.  One button - main screen.  It even says "DSP off".  Other players do it how?  By playing around in tree, or a double-sided list, doing some moving to and fro, just like Winamp all those decades ago.  Busy work is what that is, and like an addict, busy work keeps you busy doing busy work.  Have you nothing better to do?  And what's with EQs anymore?  As if everyone has a mono Hi-Fi.  If you have 8 channels, you need an 8-channel EQ.  10 bands of EQ?  Are you deaf?  31 bands, 8 channels, is the only way to go.  And Jukebox sounds absolutely wonderful.  JR DSPs sound...odd, and yet it's supposed to be its big deal.  If you want to be there, in concert, Jukebox does that.  Nothing else does.
<para finally>
OK, keep it coming but let's try to sound like you know what you're talking about.  Just joking.  (Ha-ha)  Protest on! Garth!
BANNED

Reply #45
And Jukebox sounds absolutely wonderful.  JR DSPs sound...odd, and yet it's supposed to be its big deal.  If you want to be there, in concert, Jukebox does that.  Nothing else does.

Maybe a TOS 8 red flag, maybe possibly also TOS 14

Also $40 for this ugly player, when others can do all this for free, yes even the ugly part.

Reply #46
Why is this thread even permitted as it's clearly a sales pitch!

Reply #47
So much attention with so much complaining.  I think you protest too much!  I know it's easy to use (settings are a one-time thing -- and then still the settings are very compartmentalized/one place for one task -- then it's the buttons on the main screen).  Can't handle a right-click?  (Wow!)  Say I want to turn off all DSPs.  One button - main screen.  It even says "DSP off".  Other players do it how?  By playing around in tree, or a double-sided list, doing some moving to and fro, just like Winamp all those decades ago.  Busy work is what that is, and like an addict, busy work keeps you busy doing busy work.  Have you nothing better to do?  And what's with EQs anymore?  As if everyone has a mono Hi-Fi.  If you have 8 channels, you need an 8-channel EQ.  10 bands of EQ?  Are you deaf?  31 bands, 8 channels, is the only way to go.  And Jukebox sounds absolutely wonderful.  JR DSPs sound...odd, and yet it's supposed to be its big deal.  If you want to be there, in concert, Jukebox does that.  Nothing else does.
<para finally>
OK, keep it coming but let's try to sound like you know what you're talking about.  Just joking.  (Ha-ha)  Protest on! Garth!
Anyone can tell that this guy's prima donna attitude,  plus the fact his approach to UX is that of a first grader, that even if he weren't to charge 40 bucks(!!) for this... thing, that his business model's fate would still be the same as that of this thread's: a butt of jokes and nothing more!

And to think that it would've been so easy for him to learn from other HA members - who also happen to be developers/contributors of software/audio formats as outstanding as foobar2k, FLAC or Wavpack -  a lesson or two in how to have a down-to-earth attitude towards honest criticism, instead of such ludicrous display of hollier-than-thou attitude and arrogance!
União e reconstrução

Reply #48
Sorry
I know this thread Really should die.
But why is its website so like a warez site from the late 90's ?

Reply #49
Maybe because the author wants it to look that way.
Just as (s)he wants the jukebox to have lots of VU meters. Nothing outside the TOS.

Also, someone will be out to make freeware for world domination - others want to charge $40 from those very few who appreciate the design. Nothing to be outraged about.
If you are playing music all the time, and feel like spending $40 (up fifty percent since midway during this thread it seems?) for eyecandy, then go ahead.