Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Different Uncompressed Output with Audacity? (Read 3526 times) previous topic - next topic

Different Uncompressed Output with Audacity?

Hi there.
I have been searching a way to split a multichannel wav file at certain timestamp for a long time.
The Audacity 1.3.9 can export multichannel files when I ticked "Use custom mix" in Preferences-Import/Export, so my problem seems to be solved at last.

But following test forced me to stop using Audacity to complete the task.

Tools:
Audacity 1.3.9
flac 1.2.1

source file: test.wav(16bit 5.1ch, not WaveFormatEX) - 12,142,700 bytes
encode with "flac -8 --channel-map=none test.wav" -> test.flac: 5,276,868 bytes

open test.wav in Audacity -> file - export (WAV Microsoft signed 16bit PCM) to export.wav - 12,142,700 bytes
encode with "flac -8 --channel-map=none export.wav" -> export.flac: 5,408,631 bytes

If export.wav has the same waveform with test.wav, I think flac shouldn't output different in size and bitrate.

Here's the sample wav file for reproduce the situation.
http://ifile.it/rnpcemj

Have I missed any option like "direct stream copy" in Virtualdub for lossless processing in Audacity?

Reply #1
Preferences -> Quality -> High-quality conversion -> Dither. Set it to "none"

Reply #2
Yes it works now! Thank you!