Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers (Read 525046 times) previous topic - next topic

Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers

Reply #400
Is there anything I can do on the driver-side?

nope - if the driver constantly loops over an empty playback buffer, the dynamic sample rate switching feature would be ruined.

what cables would i need to connect my c-media sound card to this?

any cheap optical SPDIF or electrical cinch cable will do.

and if i do connect it this way, am i limiting the potential of my DAC?

no - the transmission is digital, hence lossless and the cable has no influence on the quality whatsoever.

Reply #401
Hey dogbert i'm having a problem installing your driver on Windows 7 x64 Final (XP and Windows 7 RC worked fine, Card is a Trust514DX)

Your setup.exe reports "Driver successfully installed" but I receive an exclamation mark in the Device Manager which says:

Die digitale Signatur der für dieses Gerät erforderlichen Treiber kann nicht überprüft werden. Bei einer vor Kurzem durchgeführten Änderung an Hardware oder Software wurde möglicherweise eine Datei installiert, die falsch signiert oder beschädigt ist. Möglicherweise handelt es sich auch um schädliche Software einer unbekannten Quelle. (Code 52)

I've tried both RT and Non-RT x64.

Reply #403
urgh, guess i'll have to (re)install the 32bit version in that case

Reply #404
Does anyone know if Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1 can output bitperfect on  S/PDIF @ 24 bit and 44.1 Khz? This soundcard is supported by this driver as stated here

Thanks!

Reply #405
I recently bought some gadgets that don't play well together. Namely, I want to connect my playstation 3 optical out to my sound card to play through my 5.1 speakers. Since the card doesn't decode dolby in hardware, I have to attempt to do it on the fly through ac3filter, yay! I encountered two obstacles so far:
1. The inadequate, but working solution:
In graphedit, I route audio source->ac3filter->audio renderer and it works, but predictably audio lags behind video a fraction of second, and
2. The annoyance:
When launching/quitting games, I lose audio and get buzz instead. I have to go the the mixer on my sound card control panel and toggle "SPDIF-in reverse" checkbox and I get back my sound.

Solution for 1:
I started writing my own directshow ASIO streaming capture/render filter that uses ASIO4ALL v2 for the driver. So far I managed to write enough code for 2 channel stereo input/output to work to see if I can defeat the lag issue, and it's a success so far. I'm confident I will have the whole thing done in a few days.

Solution for 2?
I don't want to go the the mixer all the time to flip a switch. Since I have the access to the whole SPDIF stream, how do I check whether it's valid or whether I need to "reverse it." This would allow me to fix the signal inside the capture filter prior to passing it through the decoder. I searched everywhere but I just hit a wall here. What does reverse spdif mean? Can anyone point me how to do it in C/C++?

The reason I ask here is that my sound card is based on the CMI8768+ chip and I poked around in the driver and noticed that this driver also has this invert switch and at least I can see the source to see what it does, but I don't understand it. Can anyone explain me the gist of it? Thanks in advance.

Reply #406
1: kernel streaming / wasapi might also be an option. You will, however, have a lag of an ac3 frame's length 32ms plus 10ms for the cyclic audio buffer to fill up in the worst case.

2: that's a register bit which is exposed to userland. For more information, consult the cmedia data sheet. It's probably defining the signal levels of the spdif receiver inside the chip. cmicontrol.exe has command line switches which can be used to enable / disable the 'reverse bit' thing.

Reply #407
1: kernel streaming / wasapi might also be an option. You will, however, have a lag of an ac3 frame's length 32ms plus 10ms for the cyclic audio buffer to fill up in the worst case.

2: that's a register bit which is exposed to userland. For more information, consult the cmedia data sheet. It's probably defining the signal levels of the spdif receiver inside the chip. cmicontrol.exe has command line switches which can be used to enable / disable the 'reverse bit' thing.

1. Yes, I tried kernel streaming and it's a significant improvement over regular (directsound?) capture/render, but the delay is still clearly noticeable and I have no way of shrinking its default buffer size that I know of.

2. I would like my capture filter to be able to tell whether it's looking at an invalid stream so that it may flip that switch automagically. Do you know if that would be possible?

Thanks for the quick response.

Reply #408
2. I would like my capture filter to be able to tell whether it's looking at an invalid stream so that it may flip that switch automagically. Do you know if that would be possible?

there's an spdif status bit in some register which can be read and exposed to userland. I haven't implemented this yet since almost no one uses that, but since the driver is open source, you are free to do so.

Reply #409
1.) 24bit support is still something I haven't been able to implement. Maybe I'm missing something, but chances are that the chip doesn't support it at all: with the official cmedia driver, 24 bit output is unattainable.

Have you tried any of the CMI8768+ cards? I've checked the CMI8768 datasheet and it says 16bit playback now. CMI8768+ is less popular but it's datasheet says 24bit playback.  Diamond Xtreme 7.1 uses the CMI8768+ and the manufacturer seems pretty sure that it plays 24bit. I'd check myself but I can't find any cheap CMI8768+ card in Poland.

Reply #410
Have you tried any of the CMI8768+ cards? I've checked the CMI8768 datasheet and it says 16bit playback now. CMI8768+ is less popular but it's datasheet says 24bit playback.  Diamond Xtreme 7.1 uses the CMI8768+ and the manufacturer seems pretty sure that it plays 24bit. I'd check myself but I can't find any cheap CMI8768+ card in Poland.

for all I know, the 8768+ is just a regular 8768 card with a slightly different chip ID. all the extra functionality (dolby encoder etc.) is actually implemented in the driver, so I guess the 8768+ isn't capable of doing 24bit. Also, the linux driver doesn't implement anything specific for the 8768+ card.

If someone with a 8768+ is reading this, maybe he or she can test my conjecture by trying to play a 24bit file and looking at the sample size of the spdif output.

Reply #411
Hi there, Dogbert!

First of all, ¡sorry to disturb!

I'm a long time user of your driver under XP. It worked like a charm, but now I've switched to Windows 7 (exactly the same hardware) and I've a small issue.

When I install the driver the MPU-401 part says the driver has an invalid INF file that is missing an entry. Then, in "Device properties" it shows an "error code 28". My version of Seven is in spanish but it roughly translates as "The installation was not done because no function controller was specified for this device".

If I try to directly specify the location of the drivers it goes on with the "invalid INF message"

Do you have any clue of what can I do to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance,
Sergien

Reply #412
I'm again trying to install these drivers on a Server 2008 machine with the tool which the FAQ mentions?.

Does a more specific instruction set for installing these drivers with the tool exist somewhere?  I still can't seem to install them and have them work, even using the tool, but I can't tell if I'm doing everything correctly.

Either this method doesn't work on Server 2008 or I'm taking a wrong step in trying to use the tool.

Reply #413
It was asked on the first page but I haven't been able to find the answer with lots of searching and googling. I'm currently looking for a cheap sound card that can do recording of AC3 via optical input. My motherboard input can do PCM but apparently it resamples, because DD recordings are totally unplayable.

Can someone using this driver give it a try? Here is the the Dolby Digital Recorder app which doesn't require installation.

Reply #414
Hy there.
I have a problem with cmi control panel.it says that the system cano't find the file specified, I pres ok and it says the operation completed sccesfuly i pres ok again and the cmi control appears and disappears  very fast.
Please help me out

Reply #417
First of all i wanna say hi to everyone !

I really appreciate that Dogber1 did drivers for CMI 8738 cuz they are great and the sound from my speakers is awesome but i gotta big issue....i hope u guys can help me

My PC audio is :
Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun, CMI8378 connected via Toslink 1,5 M to Lampucera DAC and from DAC to my Cambridge Audio A500 amplifier by 2 x 2 RCA cable 5 meters.The thing is if i wanna change the song in winamp i gotta wait about half a second or 0,75 a second to hear the sound from my speakers and i don't know why it happens ?
In Foobar 2000 it works perfectly fine.

Another big issue is that the sound in movies has delays/big latency like 0,5 or 0,75 second of delay.
If i look at the lips of actrees is noticable that the music is delayed.

it happens in every media player even in youtube movies ect.

I tried to change my codecs and it happened over and over again.

Do you know what can cause that issue ? is it something with my Sound card or driver ? or my DAC isn't working properly ? Before my PC was using Sound blaster live connected by analog to DAC and then to my Amplifier ahd it wasn't any delays/latency sound.

do you got any ideas ?

I attach also my settings.

bart

Reply #418
Before my PC was using Sound blaster live connected by analog to DAC and then to my Amplifier ahd it wasn't any delays/latency sound.

bart

I don't see why u wanted to connect your analog output to a DAC.

Reply #419
Before my PC was using Sound blaster live connected by analog to DAC and then to my Amplifier ahd it wasn't any delays/latency sound.

bart

I don't see why u wanted to connect your analog output to a DAC.

becaise i dodn't had SPDIF cable and i wanted to test if my DAC working after i have bought my DAC i didn't have any opportunity to do that.That is not the point of my problem...

please if you have any idea to solve that problem post it here, otherwise please do not.

Reply #420
Thanks a lot for this driver. It's the first one ever which lets me record bit-correctly through SPDIF-in under win xp IIRC.
I can also confirm that SPDIF out and looping from SPDIF in to SPDIF out works. That's basically what I really need...I couldn't get the analog out to work so far though. Perhaps it's just me doing something wrong.
I especially liked "Detected driver cmedia xy...these will be wiped from your system to avoid conflicts".

This is a Typhoon CMI8738.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Reply #421
well just registred to tell you many thanks Dogbert. you work on this driver has made my life significantly easier and cheper, since i for a long time have been using a cheapo sound card in my mediacenter with bitperfect streaming :-)

what are your thoughts on driver signing in windows 7 64 bit. how do you deal with it? me i still run 32 bit. but my brother i law runs 64 bit on a mediacenter i administrate for him, we have it running test mode and testsigned you driver, but is there a better workaround?

again many thanks for your dedication and work

Re: Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers

Reply #423
Hello to all, and thanks to Dogbert for the straight-through driver for C-Media chips.

I'm experimenting with building a retro system using Windows 98SE.

Does anyone here know if Dogbert's C-Media Driver will work with Windows 98SE ?

Re: Homebrew CMI 8738 drivers

Reply #424
Does anyone here know if Dogbert's C-Media Driver will work with Windows 98SE ?
Driver backwards compatible ? I would expect not.
The drivers supplied with the card I mentioned above worked best with WinME IIRC. Don't recall about 98.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?